Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
5
13
... LastLast
  1. #41
    It is simple, report them. the option is there. Blizz keeps tracks of reports on players and when they add up the bans start, progressing until it is permanent. The thing is YOU have to report them, not just come here screaming 'mummy Blizzard mummy Blizzard there is a nasty person make him stop'.

    YOU can add them to your ignore list, no matter what server they are on, and you will never group with them again so they will never bother you again.

    If someone has 1 bad day and behaves badly once, nothing will be done.

    If it is an ongoing problem and multiple people report it, action will be taken, but people have to report it. If they do not, Blizzard will not, usually, ban someone for 1 episode although there are exceptions.

    Also, Blizzard has to agree that what they say is toxic. I, on occasion, call whining brats in game 'bed wetters' before I put them on ignore which means I do it once. Blizzard has never found that toxic enough to ban me though I have been, according to the nappy brats, reported, sometimes by a group of friends trying very hard to get me banned. They may object to me calling a 16 year old a bed wetter but Blizzard does not, but I think he probably thinks it so toxic because he is one. Toxic may just be your point of view.

  2. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by Normie View Post
    What do you think Blizzard is going to do?
    They're going to make it worse. The way you build a good community is to make player reputation matter and make it impossible to achieve things alone. That way players have incentive to work together. LFD/LFR do the exact opposite: you can achieve everything alone, so you're free to be as big of a douche as you like.

    Nobody is going to care about your "Summoner's Code" and Blizzard can't start mass banning "toxic" people because they are losing too many players as is.

  3. #43
    Beat them with a stick.


    Really more in game support and much harsher punishments

  4. #44
    The Patient
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    right behind you
    Posts
    292
    Short answer: Nothing.

    Longer answer: Nothing, because BLizzard no longer gives a rats ass about it's player base, as the continuing decline of the game is proving on a daily basis. The changes they continue to make to "improve" the game are laughable, as are the "policies" they refuse to enforce.

    I, for one, have went on week long tirades of being a terrible person to others in both random bg's and in trade chat, partially because I was angry, partially because I was bored, but mostly because there are no repercussions for behaviour anymore. LFG, LFR, cross server pvp...these all make the community insulated and ensure that trolls never get what is cming to them. Ther eonce was a tiem when people wouldn't group with you if you were a douche, and eventually you couldn't get daily heroics/quests/etc done. Actions had consequesces. Nowdays, everything is so impersonal and insulated, behaviour is no longer self corrected and the trolls are multiplying at an alarming rate. Blizzard has no-one to blame but themselves for the direction the community is headed.

  5. #45
    They'll do nothing.

    I play on a PVE realm (Mostly as alliance though I have horde characters as well). During an Oondasta raid a couple of horde kept pulling all the dinos nearby into the raid causing some wipes. Unlike a PVP realm where you can just keep killing them for doing it, there is no defence as they weren't flagged. I reported this and basically got told that they had as much right to be in that area as the raid did.

    Blizzard, as usual, will wait until the horse has bolted before closing the stable door. I'm sure they are reasonably aware of numbers of peopleleaving the game due to similar asshattery.

    Kymei - just because there are options doesn't mean you aren't affected. If I want to do something and some idiot decides it would be fun to screw it up for me, that is affecting my game. The fact I could go away and doing something else is irrelevant. Toxic behaviour isn't exclusive to communication. Actions speak louder than words.

  6. #46
    The Patient Arainie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    249
    The most surprising thing in this thread has to be how many people are actually indirectly defending the toxic players somehow believing that they have a right to be toxic. A newsflash for you is that toxic behaviour beyond a certain degree has never been tolerated, and that the only reason why most toxic players are still around is that it's extremely hard to punish everyone, especially when much of the griefing and toxic behaviour happens outside of reportable text.

  7. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by Arainie View Post
    The most surprising thing in this thread has to be how many people are actually indirectly defending the toxic players somehow believing that they have a right to be toxic. A newsflash for you is that toxic behaviour beyond a certain degree has never been tolerated, and that the only reason why most toxic players are still around is that it's extremely hard to punish everyone, especially when much of the griefing and toxic behaviour happens outside of reportable text.
    It's not as much as defending the player that is being a douche as it is to decry blizzard for being ignorant of the problem. We all know they won't get banned, and the player that is being a douche knows it as well.

    There have always been asshats on WoW and I've only seen people get banned for cheating indiscriminantly. Never for personal relationships.

  8. #48
    Pit Lord
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    The Frozen Wasteland
    Posts
    2,328
    Quote Originally Posted by Kymei View Post
    I don't see why you have a problem with "toxic" players in WoW when wow requires little to no communication. You no longer require social skills to play the game thanks to queues for EVERYTHING. Toxic players are a problem EXCLUSIVE to games like League, where player communication can be the difference between winning and losing, and a toxic player can drastically impact the outcome and pure enjoyment factor of the match. There is nothing remotely close to this kind of situation in WoW, there is too many options in WoW to not be impacted by a toxic player.
    To the contrary, in WoW the unpleasant attitude that some players inflict on others is an important factor in their decision to leave the game.

  9. #49
    WoW community is not even CLOSE to what LoL community is. IMO WoW doesn't need a "clean-up" and despite things that most people say, WoW community is one of the best compared to other online games (like LoL, CoD etc.) At least on EU realms.

  10. #50
    Pit Lord
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    The Frozen Wasteland
    Posts
    2,328
    Quote Originally Posted by Strakha View Post
    It's not as much as defending the player that is being a douche as it is to decry blizzard for being ignorant of the problem. We all know they won't get banned, and the player that is being a douche knows it as well.

    There have always been asshats on WoW and I've only seen people get banned for cheating indiscriminantly. Never for personal relationships.
    Blizzard has been ineffectual in dealing with the negative elements in the game culture.

  11. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by Normie View Post
    Blizzard has been ineffectual in dealing with the negative elements in the game culture.
    Yep and there is little or no profit margin to placing people on your salary to overcome the loss of a $15 a month customer, better to just let the dice roll. Chances are the person who had a crap time in the game will leave anyways and the toxic player is still willing to pay. So even in the best of scenarios it will result in a loss and an amplified loss if there is specific employees addressing it.

  12. #52
    toxic players are those that dont know how to play and refuse to find way's to improve, and just bring the grp down by begin there with their low dmg

    My MaL http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Draknalor For The Glory Of Ecchi

  13. #53
    The Lightbringer NatePsychotic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    3,521
    Only toxicity I've ever experienced in LoL were two losers going top after I said I'd go top, which meant we had 3 at top. Whenever I told one of them to move at start of game, they're all like "Swag yolo" and repeated it every time I asked nicely for them to move. But aside from that, I've not experienced any harsh players. I've experienced a lot of good experiences from players being amazed with me doing so well on a champ Riot only just release.
    Last edited by NatePsychotic; 2013-06-16 at 09:46 AM.

  14. #54
    Stood in the Fire Korbany's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    449
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelstrider View Post
    In World of Warcraft, people completely dicking around and cursing each other out and ruining battlegrounds and LFR/LFD system for everyone, making it a bad experience.
    The problem is that often what one person considers bad behaviour, someone else may consider good behaviour.

    Lets take your issue of people ruining battlegrounds, well to my mind there are two types of player in battlegrounds, those that want to rush and get their honor points, and those that want to engage in lots of pvp. Now both are valid play styles, but they are not complimentary at all. Are you one of those players that yells at people farming HK's in the middle of Alterac Valley, or one of those players that thinks BG honor rushers are missing the point of PVP instanced content?

  15. #55
    I don't think removing the toxic players would be the way to go. Instead, Blizzard should design their systems so that toxic behaviour is discouraged and good behaviour encouraged.

    One decision from Blizzard that went in the opposite direction was to introduce LFD, which made it so that you could always find a group, regardless of how much of a hassle you are to play with. Of course, it also had a positive side which outweighed the negative, which is why it has eventually been implemented.


    I could think of one system that could change player behaviour, based on a new (hidden) score per player: After/during every dungeon run, everyone can vote each member of your party either up (+1) or down (-1), or not vote at all (+0) based on whether they liked to play with them or not. If you consistently are unpleasant to play with, your score will go much lower than the rest's. The matchmaking algorithm could then be altered so that the players in a party are matched based on their score, which will create parties where each member has about the same score. If you are a toxic player, you would eventually only play with other toxic players, which you would try to avoid by behaving better.

    This would have at least one important downside: Longer queues, since another criterion for matchmaking has been introduced. The system would also have to be further refined to make it reasonably easy for players to get their score back up if they change their behaviour (maybe nobody in the lower regions would ever vote +1 for someone?) and to make it so that players who have played many, many dungeons already won't have a much higher or much lower score than someone who hasn't played that much yet. Another point is that this system can only be used for queues, though I'm pretty sure the good behaviour would also spill over into the rest of the game.


    I think it's Blizzard's job to find a way to encourage good behaviour and discourage bad behaviour, for example as I have posted above. While you can of course say that it's the community's fault for being a bunch of assholes, it's simply unrealistic to expect any change from their side without intervention from Blizzard. Blizzard are the only ones who have the power to alter the behaviour of the playerbase as a whole. Therefore, if any change should happen at all, it's Blizzard who has to engineer their systems in a way where the players are willing to be friendly and not ruin everyone else's game.
    Last edited by reckoner04; 2013-06-16 at 09:52 AM.

  16. #56
    Dreadlord
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Thunder Bluff
    Posts
    822
    Quote Originally Posted by roahn the warlock View Post
    Do you play LoL? they really did clean up the toxic players. statistics agree with me
    Not even remotely, I am in plat V, and griefers flamers ragers everywhere.
    Got a few friends in bronze and gold, also same story.
    The community is still shit, yes it is already getting better, but nowhere near "Cleaned up"
    For the Horde! And for the Earthmother!
    Armory

  17. #57
    Scarab Lord Descense's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    In oblivion
    Posts
    4,178
    Quote Originally Posted by reckoner04 View Post
    I don't think removing the toxic players would be the way to go. Instead, Blizzard should design their systems so that toxic behaviour is discouraged and good behaviour encouraged.

    One decision from Blizzard that went in the opposite direction was to introduce LFD, which made it so that you could always find a group, regardless of how much of a hassle you are to play with. Of course, it also had a positive side which outweighed the negative, which is why it has eventually been implemented.


    I could think of one system that could change player behaviour, based on a new (hidden) score per player: After/during every dungeon run, everyone can vote each member of your party either up (+1) or down (-1), or not vote at all (+0) based on whether they liked to play with them or not. If you consistently are unpleasant to play with, your score will go much lower than the rest's. The matchmaking algorithm could then be altered so that the players in a party are matched based on their score, which will create parties where each member has about the same score. If you are a toxic player, you would eventually only play with other toxic players, which you would try to avoid by behaving better.

    This would have at least one important downside: Longer queues, since another criterion for matchmaking has been introduced. The system would also have to be further refined to make it reasonably easy for players to get their score back up if they change their behaviour (maybe nobody in the lower regions would ever vote +1 for someone?) and to make it so that players who have played many, many dungeons already won't have a much higher or much lower score than someone who hasn't played that much yet. Another point is that this system can only be used for queues, though I'm pretty sure the good behaviour would also spill over into the rest of the game.


    I think it's Blizzard's job to find a way to encourage good behaviour and discourage bad behaviour, for example as I have posted above. While you can of course say that it's the community's fault for being a bunch of assholes, it's simply unrealistic to expect any change from their side without intervention from Blizzard. Blizzard are the only ones who have the power to alter the behaviour of the playerbase as a whole. Therefore, if any change should happen at all, it's Blizzard who has to engineer their systems in a way where the players are willing to be friendly and not ruin everyone else's game.
    Easy. If player collects too much bad reports their avatar will be put on display for 1 day (even when they are disconected) and other players can trow rotten tomatos into them.


  18. #58
    Quote Originally Posted by Descense View Post
    Generaly wow has a pretty low ammout of them. And this is because those toxic kids (yes most of time are kids) cant pay 15 a mounth to play a game.

    Free to play games are plagued with those players. And thats because game is FREE. And its just not LOL. Also Wot (nation bashing all the time), Dota 2, Smite, Team foretres 2 and so on.
    Sorry, but WoW having a sub does not prevent toxic players. There are literally thousands upon thousands of them.

    Personally, started seeing more unmitigated bullshit from lots of players beginning around Wrath and just escalating from there. Now, assholes can manipulate LFR drones to vote kick en masse anyone they don't like. Happens all the time.

    No, no don't wanna be a hipster but a big star
    And I wanna see my name tattooed where your tits are

  19. #59
    Grunt
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Weymouth, UK
    Posts
    13

    Thumbs down Toxic is context

    Quote Originally Posted by Saffa View Post
    ..

    Also, Blizzard has to agree that what they say is toxic. I, on occasion, call whining brats in game 'bed wetters' before I put them on ignore which means I do it once. Blizzard has never found that toxic enough to ban me though I have been, according to the nappy brats, reported, sometimes by a group of friends trying very hard to get me banned. They may object to me calling a 16 year old a bed wetter but Blizzard does not, but I think he probably thinks it so toxic because he is one. Toxic may just be your point of view.
    Toxic is context. If a significant proportion of people consider you as toxic, you are exhibiting toxic behaviour whether you think it or not.

    I have had experience of working with young adults with problems. Have you any idea how deeply shameful and embarrassing teen nocturnal enuresis ("bed wetting") is viewed by them?

    It is something that is physiological (for example, some sleep deeper and longer than other children, and thus, whereas a normal child would wake up & go to the loo, they are sleeping too deeply to do so). It is something they cannot change (like being black or being homosexual, though unlike these situations, it is only temporary) and affects over 100,000 teenagers and young adults in the UK alone. YOU are calling them "bedwetters" in a derogatory manner, intending to embarrass and shame them. I can see why they think it is toxic behaviour and report you, even if you cannot.

  20. #60
    Nothing. We've become a core part of the community and WoW. It would be just like cutting off two legs. Also, just impossible.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •