Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    That's not really valid, Nintendo either has really good games or games that are complete shit. While Xbox and PS have games that are really good, really bad or good enough to give it a shot.

I think if you would compare used game sales on games like Mario and let's say Halo genre than it would be close to the same.

His point is correct that good games reduce selling it second handed...but to see Nintendo's franchise is proof is retarded as it applies to games on all platforms.
    Not really comparable at all. Within 3 months, there were dozens of used copies of Halo 3 sitting on the shelves of game stores. Hell, finding a used copy of Skyward Sword is extremely difficult. Just goes to show you that even if a game sells more copies, that the player retention rate is not even close to the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I disagree. You cannot cure cheapskate. Too many people do everything they can to avoid paying retail price for a game, even pirating to get it free. The sad part is most of these people have enough money that they COULD buy a new copy but they refuse to do it, so by buying used games at least someone makes money off these cheapasses

This comment is worthless. I get you have you're own opinion but this opinion just sucks. By your logic nobody should by anything used. Hope you never bought a used car. Hope you never bought an item from a yard sale. It's not about buying used games, it's about saving money to make your dollar go further and their is nothing wrong with that. If I can save $10 on a game then I can take that $10 I just saved and put it towards something else or just hang on to it for something important. If you and I have the same amount of money and you spend your money by your logic and I spend mine by my logic, guess who runs out of money first?

Quote Originally Posted by Insanoflex View Post
    used game sales can be limited..
    Developers can limit used game sales by simply making their games better, Nintendo of America boss Reggie Fils-Aime has suggested.
    Fils-Aime pointed to the relatively low trade-in and resale market for Nintendo products as proof.
    "We have been able to step back and say that we are not taking any technological means to impact trade-in and we are confident that if we build great content, then the consumer will not want to trade in our games," Fils-Aime told Polygon.
    "Certainly, that impact games that are annualised and candidly also impacts games that are maybe undifferentiated much more than [it] impacts Nintendo content."
    Fils-Aime suggested that the replayability of Nintendo titles remained strong, a position supported by the the fact that even second-hand Nintendo titles keep a high price years after their initial release.
    "The consumer wants to keep playing Mario Kart. The consumer want to keep playing New Super Mario Bros. They want to keep playing Pikmin," Fils-Aime continued. "So we see that the trade-in frequency on Nintendo content is much less than the industry average - much, much less.
    It's a much more natural way to discourage second-hand sales, he concluded, and reiterated that Nintendo has no plans to restrict the used game market.
    "We have been very clear, we understand that used games are a way for some consumers to monetize their games," Fils-Aime added, re-iterating the position of Nintendo's top designer Shigeru Miyamoto, who told Eurogamer yesterday that the company did not want to introduce restrictions on game ownership.

i think he talks alot of sense (dont always agree) and if only more developers had this line of thought..
    And he just made EA business model make sense with that. Origin, digital-only, insisting in Simcity's always online DRM after the D3 backfire...
    When you can only produce game worse than the previous ones, that's the solution...

10+ Year Old Account
    I must be one of the few who has never traded in a game. I just rent them first and play them. If i like it i will buy it. If i don't /shrug i spent 6 bucks on it. I could never part with any of my games that i have paid for. I have paid for used games before but.
    Aye mate

Deleted
    And the route microsoft and sony are going by leaving it upto publishers would mean even renting a game would be a thing of the past

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
    I must be one of the few who has never traded in a game. I just rent them first and play them. If i like it i will buy it. If i don't /shrug i spent 6 bucks on it. I could never part with any of my games that i have paid for. I have paid for used games before but.
    And if you DO like it and buy it, then youve spent $6 more than the rest of us since we didnt waste $6 on the rental first

How much of this has to do with the Wii's horrendous (last I saw, years ago) attachment rate? The Wii sold more consoles than either of the others, but very few games, so there wasn't a large market of used games.

The handhelds generally have lower price points and longer play times.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    How much of this has to do with the Wii's horrendous (last I saw, years ago) attachment rate? The Wii sold more consoles than either of the others, but very few games, so there wasn't a large market of used games.

The handhelds generally have lower price points and longer play times.
    it sold more games than any other console.. by alot.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have to agree on the better game thing. Games like the star wars force unleashed, how can anyone think it's alright to make a game like the second one (so unbelievably short that it was beaten within the day I received it) and charge additional fees for the rest of the content... seriously? With xb1 I see this type of company scheme being supported, thus allowing for a lot more games cut short (and the rest sold as "dlc"). Terrible idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    So many games feel like they have disposable stories with around 20 hours of gameplay. If I play a few hours 2-3 days a week I'm done with a game so quickly that there doesn't feel like much point to buying them(at least until they drop to 20-30). At the lower price point I may buy a few games here and there but the majority just get forgotten and never played.
    I know the feeling... a lot of people I know are picking up "The Last of Us" - but I just can't bring myself to do it due to being concerned that it's just a 20 hour story and it's over.

I think for now I'm sticking to open-world games. Skyrim has given me well over a thousand hours of enjoyable playtime. That's not bad for a $60 investment. ^_^

Red Dead is on my list... then I'm waiting to hear the reviews for the next Grand Theft Auto before I pick that up.

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    I know the feeling... a lot of people I know are picking up "The Last of Us" - but I just can't bring myself to do it due to being concerned that it's just a 20 hour story and it's over.

I think for now I'm sticking to open-world games. Skyrim has given me well over a thousand hours of enjoyable playtime. That's not bad for a $60 investment. ^_^

Red Dead is on my list... then I'm waiting to hear the reviews for the next Grand Theft Auto before I pick that up.
    Eh, I think you'd be hard pressed to find a game other than an RPG that lasts a long time. Or one that doesn't have somewhat RPG-ish elements to it. Even then, the main story can be hella short. Skyrim's a good game, with lots of hours to do everything, but the main storyline doesn't take long at all.

Then again, you should also be looking for things like replayability, or a good multiplayer.
    Last edited by Zonas; 2013-06-16 at 11:25 PM.
    I AM the world's first Shadow Mage.

Quote Originally Posted by Zonas View Post
    Eh, I think you'd be hard pressed to find a game other than an RPG that lasts a long time. Or one that doesn't have somewhat RPG-ish elements to it. Even then, the main story can be hella short. Skyrim's a good game, with lots of hours to do everything, but the main storyline doesn't take long at all.

Then again, you should also be looking for things like replayability, or a good multiplayer.
    I could care less about multiplayer honestly. Replayablility or a continual "endgame" is more my style. That's why I love games like GTA and Skyrim so much - you can just go in and PLAY... create your own little pocket of fun. ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    I could care less about multiplayer honestly. Replayablility or a continual "endgame" is more my style. That's why I love games like GTA and Skyrim so much - you can just go in and PLAY... create your own little pocket of fun. ^_^
    I'll agree with you a bit on that. Though, the main problem with games with multiplayer (for console games anyway) is that they typically have the mold of, fighting game, sports game, or FPS. But, I do enjoy it when a game can go against the mold and have a multiplayer type away from it. Like what you can get with the Souls games, or when Assassin's Creed first started doing multiplayer stuff. Hell, I even like the multiplayer with the latest God of War game.

But yes, nothing beats being able to play through a game further, even after the credits are rolling, or Mr. Baddie is beaten. Especially so when I feel the need to simply play through the game again from the beginning because of how fun it was.
    I AM the world's first Shadow Mage.

Bloodsail Admiral Brightamethyst's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The only real way to limit used game sales it to make make the replay value extremely high. The problem is that that's just not possible for all games, especially most AAA titles.

If I want instantly, and always fun, I go to Sonic, or Megaman, or Mario Kart, or Touhou... I don't go to Assassin's Creed or Batman.

I know this may sound wierd, but am I the only one that is against used game sales? I find it kind of a dickmove to return, lets say The Witcher 2, which i find an awesome game, after playing it for around 48 hours (Beaten it twice). May be because I am mainly a PC-gamer, and i have never really ever traded in games/bought used games. I have always bought them new. If i found them too expensive, i would then simply wait for them to get cheaper and go on sale.

Honestly, in the eyes of the publishers and developers, used games are as bad, if not worse than pirating. If you pirate a game, you are only a potential customer that is lost, but with used games, i know that companies like Gamespot directly push you into buying used games as they make more of it. For instance, if i walk up to the counter with an entirely new copy of Skyrim, throw it on the counter, and getting ready to pay with my credit card, they will ask me if i am not interested in buying the game used instead to save some money. Many will of course say yes, because of their 30-day insurence and stuff like that. In this case, the publisher/developer DIRECTLY lost a game sale. Remember guys, the ones making the game does not make a penny off the game, when you buy it used.

Quote Originally Posted by krethos View Post
    In my life I have played many games that I absolutely loved and enjoyed the entire way through, but after finishing them 3-4 times and having no more reason to play through again, I will trade them in.
    And now I am wondering why this is a problem at all. You can sell ALL your used products. I can sell my washingmachine if I want to right? I can sell the DVD's I bought if I want to. I can sell my Xbox One to someone and then buy a PS4 if I want to (would be ridiculous if I was forced to keep it). This DRM bullshit is just there so they can make more money and not because it is fair or better.

If developers were really losing so much money how come they keep making games then? We have to take bullshit like overpriced DLC's that used to be either made by players themselves (maps/gamemodes) or were simply free but selling a used game that you paid for, which is your property shouldn't be allowed?

10+ Year Old Account
    I 100% believe that if developers made good games rather than "Flavor of the month" ones, we would see a substantial drop in used game stock and sales. Of course, removing the whole microtransaction as a major feature of the game thing would also help with this.
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.

i will admit if i have to choose between a newly released game to full price or a used copy at reduced price I buy the used copy to save money regardless of what game it is. I personally don't believe making better games will reduce the sale of used games because there will always be people who sell their games to turn a buck and people who buy second hand games to save a couple of bucks.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by malletin View Post
    i will admit if i have to choose between a newly released game to full price or a used copy at reduced price I buy the used copy to save money regardless of what game it is. I personally don't believe making better games will reduce the sale of used games because there will always be people who sell their games to turn a buck and people who buy second hand games to save a couple of bucks.
    nintendo understand people like to do this.. theyre not targeting you specifically. its the people who finish a game or get bored in a weekend or week and trade it in for almost full value and get another game. If the people who do this have a reason to keep the game.. you cut out a massive chunk of the used game market or at least control it by instead of getting an almost 1-1 trade in you end up having to trade in two or three titles for the same trade in value (i wouldnt see any value in this)
    Last edited by mmoccc0b2dd691; 2013-06-17 at 02:22 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilian View Post
    And now I am wondering why this is a problem at all. You can sell ALL your used products. I can sell my washingmachine if I want to right? I can sell the DVD's I bought if I want to. I can sell my Xbox One to someone and then buy a PS4 if I want to (would be ridiculous if I was forced to keep it). This DRM bullshit is just there so they can make more money and not because it is fair or better.

If developers were really losing so much money how come they keep making games then? We have to take bullshit like overpriced DLC's that used to be either made by players themselves (maps/gamemodes) or were simply free but selling a used game that you paid for, which is your property shouldn't be allowed?
    There are exceptions to every rule. Why is it if I sell my car that I already payed sales tax on to someone else, they have to pay sales tax on it too. And not only do they have to pay sales tax on it but they pay tax on the blue book value, not the actual purchase price.

If I sell any other used item to someone else they dont have to pay sales tax on it. I think its BS that you even have to pay sales tax on a used car.