Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

To go along with char models. non painted-on gear

I was curious what other people thought about this... one of the things that have irked be over the years, in addition to dated character models... is the way gear looks on players. And I think with new tech they can improve on the "Painted" look.

We've seen some improvement in the belt department. so as it stands, shoulders, helm, some gloves, some boots, and some belts. Give the 3D look to armor. Even a few pants kinda look 3d.

But what about chest plate armor? I think with new models they might be able to make gear look like it does on the major NPC characters, like tyrande's armor, or Sylvanas' armor. Or even cloth that doesn't look completely skin tight. Especially on the ladies, cloth doesn't wear like that. It would take some odd kind of stitching.

Just a thought of mine, and wondered what you lovely people on the forums thought about it. I personally think it would make plate armor, and other armors look much cooler if they were 3D on the model
    Last edited by roahn the warlock; 2013-06-16 at 07:33 PM.
    It was never Hardcore Vs Casual. It was Socialites Vs. Solo players
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    World of Warcraft started life as a Computer Roleplaying Game, where part of the fun of the game experience was pretending to be your character. Stuff like applying poisons and eating food enhanced the verisimilitude of the experience of playing a fantasy character in another world. Now that game has changed to become a tactical arcade lobby game.

Well, yes, it'd be much better, but knowing blizzard's lazy ass, who knows when/if they'll implement such a change.

They'll probably use the excuse of ''if we do this then we have to move resources from Y yada yada".
    Still, I agree with you, it'd be lovely to have gear that looks like it is actual armor/clothing, and not ''painted'' on your body.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the Lich kings armor is a good example of how Armor should look with the model updates. Or at least it should be! I am tired of having painted on plates and legging. We need more detail.

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel Tyrael View Post
    Well, yes, it'd be much better, but knowing blizzard's lazy ass, who knows when/if they'll implement such a change.

They'll probably use the excuse of ''if we do this then we have to move resources from Y yada yada".
    Still, I agree with you, it'd be lovely to have gear that looks like it is actual armor/clothing, and not ''painted'' on your body.
    Yeah man, damn lazy bastards not willing to redo thousands and thousands of models they made over 9 years.

10+ Year Old Account
    God yes, I can't stand it. My belf pally looks ridiculous with her painted on chest plates. Blizz needs to invest some money on a team of artists that's sole purpose is to update old models, release them in waves with patches, or just wait til the next xpac. It's not like they can't afford it.

If anything, there's only one thing I want them to do for armor.

Complete revamps of Tier 1 and 2 sets for all classes. I don't mind if everything else looks like arse, Tier 1 and 2 is all I want to see remade in their current style.

-edit-

Oh, that and all heirloom gear. Heirlooms deserve to look better, possibly a revamp if you upgrade them the next tier up, 85->90.
    Last edited by Thimagryn; 2013-06-17 at 01:22 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Title made me laugh. Agreed. So many sets have been ruined by "body paint" chest pieces and belts. Tier 10 is especially guilty of this.
    Look! Words!

10+ Year Old Account

I know, right? Perhaps if they spent all the time they've spent on Blizz Store pets/mounts on new character models we would have had them by now, ffs.
    "There is no teacher but the enemy. No one but the enemy will tell you what the enemy is going to do. No one but the enemy will ever teach you how to destroy and conquer. Only the enemy shows you where you are weak. Only the enemy tells you where he is strong. And the rules of the game are what you can do to him and what you can stop him from doing to you." -Mazer Rackham - Ender's Game Orson Scott Card

Quote Originally Posted by Zergal View Post
    Yeah man, damn lazy bastards not willing to redo thousands and thousands of models they made over 9 years.
    There's no reason they have to redo all the old stuff. After all, old boots are still 'painted on,' but boots from current tiers tend to have actual geometry.

Deleted
    I don't care.

Speaking of paint... I really hope they do for WoW what they did with D3 and armor paint colors

Deleted
    http://media.mmo-champion.com/images...s14_malev2.jpg

Look at the chest piece, if I'm looking at it right, and it's not part of the helm, this may be the first chest piece I have ever seen to have some kind of shape to it, look at the bit that protrudes outwards.

I would like to see them make the new gear like that, but leave the old stuff the way it is. It shows progression over time when you leave stuff with their classic look.

Deleted

I don't get it. The content they're pulling out this expansion, and especially for 5.4 is overwhelming. Also never before have they put so much time and effort in order to communicate with their playerbase.
    I really need to understand in which ways they're being lazy asses ?

Nonetheless I do totally agree that having more depth to the armor would be really awesome. My robes are getting more and more tasteless I feel, I went back to the Spellfire robe for that particular reason.

This has bugged me for years, i hate wearing spandex armor, and they have WONDERFUL concept art of armor sets that are far form spandex (look at the pally t2 concept), I'm not sure if the blame is on the artists or just lazy modelers.

http://www.wowpedia.org/images/6/6f/...le_Paladin.jpg Being one of my favoite examples.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by IloveGerardWay View Post
    I don't care.
    useful input.

OP has a point, they do look like shit. Have faith though in what the artists are working on for our new models. There will be QQ regardless (ie: worgen furries upset about chihuahua faced females, etc)

Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    There's no reason they have to redo all the old stuff. After all, old boots are still 'painted on,' but boots from current tiers tend to have actual geometry.
    They have the exact same amount of geometry as T1 boots had. The only additional piece with geometry since release are belts.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm not sure I can support this. The more polygons needing to be rendered, the lower I have to put my settings when I raid. I'm sure I'm not the only one. Besides, I hardly look at the armor I'm wearing anyway aside from the occasional transmog.

Deleted
    "OH MY FUCKING GOD BLIZZARD, Y dont u start doing exactly what you've been doing for a couple tiers now but that i chose to ignore? FFS GREEDY"

Also, going back and redoing every bit of armor ever put in the game seems nothing more than a huge ass waste of time and effort, I'd rather have them focus on making all the new stuff have quality.

The chest and legs are barely seen and are covered most of the time. They would be adding polygons that would barely be seen. In other words decreasing performance for a very little (practically none) visual gain...