Thread: MOP for casuals

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

MOP for casuals

Mjello, I'm curious about MOP... I can't get myself to read the countless patches and things that has happened since mid Cataclysm.

I've have read that MOP is the best thing that has happened to wow, especially for casuals who dont have time to raid 3-5 nights a week.
    How are your thoughts on that? I quit mid Cataclysm, and I'm curious whether I should give MOP a go.

And what about the differences? Did they change much between cata and mop, in other words, is it a different game? Or just some novelty tweaks like battle pets? If I remember correctly, I have a level 85 DK, Rogue, Hunter, Pala and priest. Only 1 of them has good gear though... Are any of those classes a blast to play in MOP?

It's a bunch of questions, and some of them are very subjective, I'm just curious about other oppinions

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
    Mjello, I'm curious about MOP... I can't get myself to read the countless patches and things that has happened since mid Cataclysm.

I've have read that MOP is the best thing that has happened to wow, especially for casuals who dont have time to raid 3-5 nights a week.
    How are your thoughts on that? I quit mid Cataclysm, and I'm curious whether I should give MOP a go.

And what about the differences? Did they change much between cata and mop, in other words, is it a different game? Or just some novelty tweaks like battle pets? If I remember correctly, I have a level 85 DK, Rogue, Hunter, Pala and priest. Only 1 of them has good gear though... Are any of those classes a blast to play in MOP?

It's a bunch of questions, and some of them are very subjective, I'm just curious about other oppinions

Thank you!
    Besides LFR I think this is actually the worst expansions for casual players that I've played. Even LFR requires a lot of gear and Valor is much too hard to earn, especially if you're just starting now.

Deleted
    I have a level 85 DK, Rogue, Hunter, Pala and priest. Only 1 of them has good gear though... Are any of those classes a blast to play in MOP?
    From a PvP point of view Hunters own right now, Rogues started MoP terrible but theyve been imrpoved since and Priests r also extremely good for PvP. Dont hear much about Pallys and DKs although i dont think Pally tanks r v good in MoP.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pengalor View Post
    Besides LFR I think this is actually the worst expansions for casual players that I've played. Even LFR requires a lot of gear and Valor is much too hard to earn, especially if you're just starting now.
    Valor is hard to earn but you don't need it as much as you needed to in previous expansions.

You can get into Mogu'shan Vaults with only 460 ilevel, easily accomplished by running heroics / getting some crafted gear / a few reputation rewards / world bosses / kor'kron armor pieces in the barrens. Drop rates in the entry level raids are actually quite high and you can get up to ilevel 480-490 very quickly (2-3 weeks, tops).

The expansion has a ton of stuff to do for a casual player, though actually fully completing everything would naturally be time consuming. That doesn't change the fact that level 90 there are a freaking ton of things to do, and all of them progress your character, if only slightly.

The only thing this expansion is bad for is alts, because there's so much to do, having to do it all on multiple characters can be rough.

---------- Post added 2013-06-19 at 09:33 AM ----------

Mjello, I'm curious about MOP...
    https://us.battle.net/support/en/art...aria-trial-faq

You can always sign up for the free 10-day trial and see for yourself.

its horrid for casuals who want to start raiding properly, the gap between lfr and normal is just too large in 5.2, and in 5.0 the problem was getting into lfr required crafted gear, hours of arena /rbg's or weeks of dailies... things casuals do not do. cata sent away swathes of the hardcore playerbase, now the game is being crafted towards a playerbase that just isn't their anymore.

If you don't want to join a raiding guild but just a social one, MoP is pretty good. You can do whatever you want whenever you want at your own pace.

I am coming from a hardcore/heroic progression guild and quit mid-Cata too. Now I just do LFR and sometimes join in to help on "normal", but I can do and see everything. I play I think about 3/4 hours a week now and have 3 level 90ies and 1 level 85 who I will level to 90 soon . Leveling professions is quick aswell and you can make some money easy aswell.

10+ Year Old Account

Thank you!

MoP Is alright, it's a decent expansion overall though it is outshined in certain aspects by older xpacs. I will say, if you quit in Cataclysm, it is much better (to this day, Cata is the only expansion where I've actually unsubbed and I've been playing since classic).

As far as the Casual thing goes, MoP is...well, there are some pugs with decent players, but they're few and far between, virtual realms may or may not fix this, as for Casuals being the target audience, normal modes aren't faceroll easy (Still easy to an extent, but nowhere NEAR dragonsoul easy) LFR still exists so if you want to get easymode gear in there, you can give it a shot, although some types of people in there (AFK'ers and the people that are horrible beyond belief) may ruin any sense of "fun" that could possibly be had there, flex raiding may or may not provide an alternative for people who don't have the time to commit to raiding but still enjoy "challenging" content.

For the most part it's still the same game. As for what class, it depends on whether you PvP or PvE

My mains a DK, we're in an alright spot PvE-wise, outshined by other classes, but competitive enough if played correctly. PvP wise we're a little shakier, still not bad, we just aren't Hunters.

Rogues are in a solid place in PvE and PvP

Hunters are alright in PvE. Absolutely shine in PvP, though.

Paladins are amazing tanks (What with haste and the likes) decent healers, and Ret is actually a respectable spec again. Haven't payed to much attention to Pally PvP

As far as priests, I don't know any to reference, honestly.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's very friendly to casual players.

Don't listen to the people who say it isn't, it's like those people expect to get everything in the first week of playing.

I'm only playing 2-3 days a week and manage to get everything done easily.

MoP is the casual heaven. We have pugs who successfully do 6+ hms. Perhaps even more. The game literally spits epics in your face. Everything is easy to get, to do. So yeah, if you're looking for a casual experience MoP is for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerevar View Post
    MoP is the casual heaven. We have pugs who successfully do 6+ hms. Perhaps even more. The game literally spits epics in your face. Everything is easy to get, to do. So yeah, if you're looking for a casual experience MoP is for you.
    By definition anyone who can do 6+ heroic bosses isn't casual, no matter their playtime.

15+ Year Old Account
    depends if LFR is enough to keep you going. I used to raid hardcore style 5/6 nights a week when progression raiding back in the day, don't have time to commit to a raid schedule now, and LFR isn't really enough to keep me entertained, I get bored after 2 or 3 weeks of it and go level another alt or something or go play another game for a few weeks. Has left me very hot and cold with WoW tbh...

im currently playing casually and there is plenty to do, altho a lot of it consists of dailys.
    i was fortunate to do at least some rainding at the start of MOP so i had about ilvl 487 already so i dont know how hard it is right now to go from dungeon blues to ToT lfr.
    joining pugs is a pain, 95% of them require you to have at least the achievement or a minimum ilvl or both, the ilvl sometimes not even being achievable by running LFR (ive seen as high as 515+ go for normal mode ToT)
    still even if you rule out the organized pvp and raid achievements there are over a thousand achievements you can get, most of them very casual friendly, so unless you have all of them there is always something to do as a casual.
    it seems that a lot of people think being a casual only consists of doing lfr and/or pugging normal modes (and the roads to get there) but there is a huge game out there that you can play as a casual.

capping valor is fine if you only plan to do it once per week.
    didnt like the idea of justice points vendor being total wank. no good justice point dump other than pet stones which isint only upgrade pets to uncommon

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerevar View Post
    Our casual groups have downed Dark Animus with LFR gear recently and after ToT was clear, they started rushing through t14 hc and cleared it all on 1 day. It has become so easy, as a casual you might want to have some twinks or you will have nothing to do after Wednesday. They even created some anonymous faction called "LFR-Heroes" who are like the slums of every server - just for the RP! Feels great at the moment as a casual.

For myself I am hardcore player and am not so much different. Casuals tend to play more though.

I've found it very casual unfriendly. There's a lot of grindy stuff to be done if that's your thing. It's very RNG based compared to previous xpacs, and there's been a pretty big focus on having one main, it's been very difficult to play alts generally. It will of course depend on what you enjoy doing though. If you enjoy daily quests you'll probably love it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Davillage View Post
    So don't wear skimpy clothes getting raped is not entirely out of your control either.

You can go all out on LFR. It's the only really viable progression path there is. There's a lot of daily quests and factions. Besides that, it's a pretty casual-unfriendly expansion. Gearing up via Valor is nearly impossible, 5 mans are pointless like they've never been in the history of the game. It's also a very alt-unfriendly expansion.

for casual gaming, MoP is great.

you dont need to do all the reps for gear anymore, you did at launch, but now you can just hit up the isle of thunder - get to friendly from doing the solo scenarios, buy an ilvl 476 epic belt for gold, then get yourself a crafted set of pvp gear and a crafted weapon and you should be pretty much ready to LFR. you might need to run a dungeon or 2, but gearing to get into LFR is easy, especially with the battlefield barrens weekly quest. it takes a bit of a grind, but you can get yourself easy ilvl 489 epics.

once you're into LFR, do whatever else you feel like. isle of thunder is worth doing, if only once a week for treasure trove keys. you can also hunt down the zandalari scouts on the pandaren mainland, they drop 1000 rep tokens for various pandaria factions. you can also plant food orders for various factions once you are exalted with the tillers and own your farm

the gap between LFR and normal raiding should be filled with the new flexi raids coming in 5.4 - it's a good time to be a casual, if anything, it's a little too good to be a casual as i've found a lot of time where i just can't be arsed to log on and have started playing a lot of other games once i've had my fill of the latest LFR. i used to raid a lot back in tbc/wotlk but in cata the game turned sour. it's definitely on an upturn atm, but who knows how long it will last.

edit: also, if you get a group for sha of anger, galleon and nalak - that'll help with the gear process too. first kill of the sha guarantees boots, although you can get higher level ones from doing the battlefield barrens questline.
    Last edited by smokii; 2013-06-19 at 11:40 AM.
    <insert witty signature here>

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arothand View Post
    By definition anyone who can do 6+ heroic bosses isn't casual, no matter their playtime.
    I tought casual was time related only?

Quote Originally Posted by Arothand View Post
    What I meant is, pugs gather raids in a few hours and clear ToT in a few hours. 6+ means more than 6, if not a full. Heroics aren't supposed to be cleared as easily as they're cleared in LFR. Everything about MoP is casual. It started in WoTLK, and now it's just at its prime. No matter what you say, WoW is easy mode nowadays. I forced a friend to try WoW out a month ago. Right now he's in a top raiding gear doing just fine. Why? Because everything is easy.

it depends on your definition of casual:

for people that play very little, MoP is hard on them. you have a long grind of stuff to do before you can step into raiding, and even more if you want vanity stuff. gotta farm charms in addition to valor, and stuff like that.

but for people that do play a lot but aren't interested in commitment, MoP is perfect. there's a lot of things to do, you have raid finder to beat bosses without needing a guild, there are pet battles (loads of fun!), the farm, you can look for treasures and hunt rare mobs, et cetera.

so - if you play little, MoP is bad. if you play a lot and you don't want commitment, MoP is perfect.
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.