View Poll Results: Should Warlocks receive a fully supported tanking specialization?

Voters
161. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, even if demonology dps will be removed in the process.

    33 20.50%
  • Yes, but only implemented in an additional fourth spec.

    42 26.09%
  • Maybe, i'm interested but it may harm the class/game as a whole.

    9 5.59%
  • Maybe, i have no interest but more options are always good.

    3 1.86%
  • No, developer ressources should be invested elsewhere.

    18 11.18%
  • No, this is not the proper direction for the game/class.

    56 34.78%
Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ...
4
5
6
7
8
16
... LastLast
  1. #101
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfen View Post
    I am an advid pro lock tanker. I have every other tank in game, but i dont play them, as I have my lock as my main since vanillia. I am not going to change it at the drop of "hero class DKS!!!!" or "Brewmasters". No, this baby and I have been through hell questing and leveling and grinding in vanilla before any xp was taken away from getting to 60. This baby and I went through hell in raids, wiping and getting repair bills, redoing talents till the point it at once cost me a shit ton. I even grinded out every damn thing to get my dreadstead mount. I went threw hell on my warlock, Nerfs after Nerfs after Nerfs. Hell, thats what killed our population straight out, they nerfed us to oblivion, and we still kicked everyone elses asses.

    So why would I give my warlock up? I would never, My lock is my pride in wow. But, I wish to do my favorite thing, and that is tanking. Why tanking? Because, having a big monster focusing me, as Im beating the hell outta it, makes me feel powerful. It staring you down, whacking you with everything its got, rather than being a goon on the side, one of the rest of the herd of range. As a lock, I want to control whatever i am facing and and show it that I am death incarnate as it eventually dies from my blows (and the herd of range). Being a tank, you and ur buddy are usually the only two facing the targets face, other than that, your stabbing, fireballing its back. doesnt make you powerful, rather, it makes you... weaker.

    >.> damn... too much rp in the middle of the early morning. But that is how i feel, rather than facts or statistics, it would simply be a wish that I could do.
    You're forgetting one thing...
    Certain bosses will not allow for you to be tanking as a warlock, because <insert other tanking class at random> is many times better for the given fight. Much like warriors vs DKs for Ra-den.
    If you're ready to be benched for all hard fights, then you already have a perfectly viable tanking spec. What's the problem? I bet you'd have alot of fun sitting on the bench whining about how under-powered your class/spec is. Especially after having gone through hell playing that character since vanilla, just to have it rerolled to a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT CLASS after 8 years.

  2. #102
    No, they really don't.

  3. #103
    High Overlord Puppy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Kalifornia
    Posts
    139
    Although i think we could be the next 4spec class... for now we can only be what the devs want us to be, not matter how much we want to be tanks or whatevers.(healers)

  4. #104
    Quote Originally Posted by Filth the Warlock View Post
    How can you say that? We've been given the most love since TBC.
    A COMPLETE overhaul in MOP.. mind you it didn't turn out great. A green fire quest, just for us. On average they must've spent far far FAR more hours on the warlock class than any other class in the game. Just look at the other classes. They've hardly changed since TBC. While we're entirely different in every single aspect.
    They do that because warlock are the under represented population wise for the game against other classes. It's a case of if nobody plays it lets keep trying to make it better so they want to play it.

    My personal opinion is that people migrate towards the typical fantasy hero of lore, the rogues, the mage and the knights. All of which happen to be highly represented in the wow population. The warlock while it suits my desires is probably not the typical role someone wants to pick when they first start this game. Remember the vast majority of people in this MMO started playing years ago and had to pick their main then. I've got 5 alts but I'm a altaholic, you can't expect everyone to dedicate as much time to their alts as their main, so the vast majority of the population is not warlocks. Imagine the subset of kids trying to get their parents to let them play the game and they have to explain to their parent that they summon and control demons, drain life and cast shadow bolts while cursing their enemies... Can't imagine the number of times that didn't go over well. The PR for warlocks is just bad and I think that's why blizzard keeps coming back to them because they keep trying to make it so fun that you ignore the fact you are inherently one step from being a villain. The idea sounds fun in passing but how often do you want to risk being the guy that falls into the volcano at the end of the story just because he has cool armor.

    Think about it, it's off topic but at the end of this story what happens to us? At best the Burning Legion is destroyed and we spend the rest of our lives enslaving innocent beings from other worlds just because they share the same home world... at worse we get exiled along with the Legion.

  5. #105
    Quote Originally Posted by Filth the Warlock View Post
    Certain bosses will not allow for you to be tanking as a warlock, because <insert other tanking class at random> is many times better for the given fight. Much like Paladins and Monks vs everyone else for every boss in ToT
    Fixed that for you. Tanking imbalance has always existed, it didn't stop Paragon from getting several world firsts with a Bear tank when Bears were widely (and correctly) considered the weakest tanking class. Even if we don't excel at everything, we'll still get slotted, just like Bears.

  6. #106
    Quote Originally Posted by Filth the Warlock View Post
    You're forgetting one thing...
    Certain bosses will not allow for you to be tanking as a warlock, because <insert other tanking class at random> is many times better for the given fight. Much like warriors vs DKs for Ra-den.
    If you're ready to be benched for all hard fights, then you already have a perfectly viable tanking spec. What's the problem? I bet you'd have alot of fun sitting on the bench whining about how under-powered your class/spec is. Especially after having gone through hell playing that character since vanilla, just to have it rerolled to a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT CLASS after 8 years.
    I'm not following why you think a warlock tank would automatically be benched for hard fights? Are you assuming warlock tanks would be inept skill wise or that they would be a bad tank due to the tool set? Either of those arguments could be made about every single possible future class ever made because you don't know what Blizzard can or won't do in the end, as they so kindly stated in the forums it's their game.

    Also why would you have to reroll? I'm not following why the addition of more abilities suddenly make you incapable of doing what you were doing before?

    Trying to understand your hyperbole.

    ---------- Post added 2013-06-21 at 01:33 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Teye View Post
    Fixed that for you. Tanking imbalance has always existed, it didn't stop Paragon from getting several world firsts with a Bear tank when Bears were widely (and correctly) considered the weakest tanking class. Even if we don't excel at everything, we'll still get slotted, just like Bears.
    That group that wants to run Kil'jaeden's Palace and can't find a tank is gonna be all too happy to slot that Demon Tank in favor of not going that night or waiting an hour for one to show up.

  7. #107
    We are not tanks. I hate it when people ask blizzard to make us tanks. They have enough trouble keeping us balanced as DPS, if you give us a tank spec, it will nerf our damage across the board. You cannot trust blizard not to consider giving us a tank spec more 'utility' and using it as an excuse to nerf our damage.

    They give us a battle rez and a portal. suddenly we are too attractive to bring on raids because of our utility and damage, so lets nerf that damage. Its happening right now. Dont ask for more of this crap. there are plenty of tank classes.

  8. #108
    Quote Originally Posted by Shodan30 View Post
    We are not tanks. I hate it when people ask blizzard to make us tanks. They have enough trouble keeping us balanced as DPS, if you give us a tank spec, it will nerf our damage across the board. You cannot trust blizard not to consider giving us a tank spec more 'utility' and using it as an excuse to nerf our damage.

    They give us a battle rez and a portal. suddenly we are too attractive to bring on raids because of our utility and damage, so lets nerf that damage. Its happening right now. Dont ask for more of this crap. there are plenty of tank classes.

    Dude, I heard the sky was falling. Confirm/deny?

    Seriously though, Warriors and Death Knights both put up extremely competitive numbers right now, and they each have a tanking spec in their class. It will be okay, I promise.


    On a separate note regarding Warlock tanking, I'm assuming the Armor buff we just got will scale multiplicatively with DA, which will likely lead to us having more Armor than Bears do, and in turn, any other tanking class.
    Last edited by Teye; 2013-06-21 at 01:47 PM.

  9. #109
    High Overlord The Jabberwock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    113
    If any spellcasting class deserves to be a tank, it's the Shaman.

  10. #110
    Quote Originally Posted by Teye View Post
    Dude, I heard the sky was falling. Confirm/deny?

    Seriously though, Warriors and Death Knights both put up extremely competitive numbers right now, and they each have a tanking spec in their class. It will be okay, I promise.


    On a separate note regarding Warlock tanking, I'm assuming the Armor buff we just got will scale multiplicatively with DA, which will likely lead to us having more Armor than Bears do, and in turn, any other tanking class.
    What armor buff?

  11. #111
    Druids have 4 specs (hilarious really) so there is no excuse for holding back the rest of us. Shamans and Warlocks should have tank specs for a start.

  12. #112
    Quote Originally Posted by ridish View Post
    why not just make all the classes hybrids?
    They pretty much are now, every class has a heal, every class can mitigate, seems like every class has a minion....

  13. #113
    WTB warlock and shaman tanks indeed.

  14. #114
    Quote Originally Posted by Krolikn View Post
    Druids have 4 specs (hilarious really) so there is no excuse for holding back the rest of us. Shamans and Warlocks should have tank specs for a start.
    Blizz isnt holding anyone back, people have more options now for class specs than ever. If you want to tank roll a dedicated tank.

  15. #115
    To be fair, Shamans deserve the tanking ability before Warlocks. We've been teased for far too long. And it makes more sense.

  16. #116
    that would be great!
    it could be a very fun and different tank class and improve the number of tanks available (hate waiting for those) even more...

    and it doesn't hurt to have a choice more in case of tanking... its a game and should be fun...

    if pvp or other balancing issues arise... just use a 4rd spec like druid...

    a glyph that would transform one third (or what number makes sense) of the spell power into health and one third of spell power into additional aggro generated would be possible, too... then no one could cry they are too good tanks AND damage dealers...

  17. #117
    If I could choose, warlocks, hunters and shaman's would all have tank specs. And rogue would have a melee-healer spec of some sort.

  18. #118
    Quote Originally Posted by Krolikn View Post
    Druids have 4 specs (hilarious really) so there is no excuse for holding back the rest of us. Shamans and Warlocks should have tank specs for a start.
    Druids have 4 but that came as a loss to them. When they had 3 they were better off in many ways, they just gutted out some of the overlap for bears/cats and split them. Both paid a price for it. Sure now they have 4 but in this case more is less.
    Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before... He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. -Kurt Vonnegut, "Cat's Cradle"
    "Not everything on the internet is true." -- Abraham Lincoln
    Good is the enemy of great.

  19. #119
    Brewmaster Skayth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Backwards Country
    Posts
    1,378
    Quote Originally Posted by Filth the Warlock View Post
    You're forgetting one thing...
    Certain bosses will not allow for you to be tanking as a warlock, because <insert other tanking class at random> is many times better for the given fight. Much like warriors vs DKs for Ra-den.
    If you're ready to be benched for all hard fights, then you already have a perfectly viable tanking spec. What's the problem? I bet you'd have alot of fun sitting on the bench whining about how under-powered your class/spec is. Especially after having gone through hell playing that character since vanilla, just to have it rerolled to a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT CLASS after 8 years.
    Not into hardcore raiding, and on a dying server, so, I wouldnt get benched at all. Its like how Dk tanks were terrible during firelands, yet we still mained a dk tank
    Last edited by Skayth; 2013-06-21 at 05:13 PM.

  20. #120
    Over 9000! Hyve's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Great Britain
    Posts
    9,117
    I disagree, and I don't think we need to add another tank into the game at this point.

    The belief that we're running out of tanks in LFG / LFR because we don't have sufficient classes capable of doing it is total nonsense and everyone here with an ounce of common sense knows it. The reason there is a shortage of tanks, is because much like healing, it is a niche role that appeals to a niche group of players.

    There are not many players that are prepared to take on the responsibility and the leading role of a Tank.

    Now, the other insanely stupid comment about this is; "Well, I'd love to play Warlock tank, and I think it would be awesome!". Well, I'd love to play many variety of class and role combinations, but it isn't going to happen.

    Blizzard shouldn't focus their attention into changing one of the Warlock trees completely, again, but instead focus on providing every class with some of the unique and enjoyable features that Warlocks have. Sadly, the Warlock community has become greedy. Your class just received a major overhaul, and now you want them to convert one of your trees into a tanking tree?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •