Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast

10+ Year Old Account
    Granadeer eng is extremely powerful specially with the Quickness elixir.

Ranger was faster than my elementalist or guardian

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post

The class was highly efficient at farming en mass. And was able to solo dungeons quite well.
    Which ones? I'd like to try this. Currently running a Flamethrower/Elixir Gun + occasional rifle build and love it more than spamming grenades.
    Currently playing: GW, TORTANIC.
    Still visit: TSW, W*, GW2, Rift, LOTRO, ESO.
    Endure. In enduring, grow strong.

I solo'd AC, CM and the one with the people trapped in flowers.

I think Ranger was the easiest to level, along with Warrior for me. They weren't really "fun" so much though. I found thief and mesmer (have 2) to be more interactive in fights and more enjoyable. I got an engineer to 30 before deleting her and making a necro, but the necro is also in that level 30ish "do I want to go further" area.

Elementalist was fine in group/event stuff, but damn was it too squishy for me in early levels. When things go bad on my mesmer I may have to revert to "run away while illusions do your work", but elementalist just always felt like running away.

In a general sense, necromancer doesn't have the minion-master vibe I wanted, mesmer illusions are fun but single target is irritating. my Thieves Guild is probably the closest to what I wanted from the necro.

Quote Originally Posted by Achaman View Post
    elementalist was a godamn nightmare to level during the 3 day headstart let alone each and every single story mission where i died many many times

i wish i went with mesmer or guardian or even a thief but since my ele got to 80 i just havnt felt like leveling a new char i get to char creation spend all day making a nice character then after the intro bit i just look at the world map think ""meh" and logoff
    I struggled a lot with elementalist. I did not understand their appeal. Very little dps and super squishy from where I was sitting. Then I discovered I'd been doing it wrong. :P Once I got used to attunement switching and using something other than staff things improved greatly. I was still stuck in the mentality that fire is always going to be your highest damage and that as a 'mage' you wanted as much range as possible, but that doesn't really translate to GW2. I use a D/D build now and it's like night and day. I've been planning on making a new elementalist (since race changing isn't available) and I suspect I'm going to have a much easier time the second go around with it.

I actually really love my mesmer, but it is torturous to start. I'd say it doesn't really turn around until level 40, it is definitely a class that is heavily reliant on late trait abilities to be truly effective.

My suggestion (and what I did) is to do all of your dailies on your new alt. The EXP they get is quite significant and worth doing the other objectives past getting 5/5 for the day.

I only used air + double dagger from level 2 to 80 on my Elementalist. Switching attunements usually seemed like a waste of time compared to the mobility and kiting of air/water. Occasionally I used earth for snares/bleeds or reflect. Scepter or some thing like that.

Mostly double dagger air though.

I feel like the Elementalist learning curve is overblown. It's just stance swapping like every other MMO I been playing for years now.

Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    I struggled a lot with elementalist.Then I discovered I'd been doing it wrong. :P Once I got used to attunement switching and using something other than staff things improved greatly. I was still stuck in the mentality that fire is always going to be your highest damage and that as a 'mage' you wanted as much range as possible, but that doesn't really translate to GW2.
    I get really annoyed with people saying "zomg I do awesome dps meteor shower pew pew!!" Staff is only good for AoE and since the 5target nerf to AoE most skills lost most of their appeal. You see big numbers but that doesn't mean lots of dps. Especially fire is overrated, exploding earth skill is beast and the air bounce is killer if you're traited into air...
    I feel like the Elementalist learning curve is overblown. It's just stance swapping like every other MMO I been playing for years now.
    You are not alone, but let's not attract too much attention...

I actually prefer staff. I enjoy the versatility that it gives and I kill stuff just fine with single or multiple targets.

I do enjoy ride the lightning with daggers though, well at least until they made it a longer cooldown.

I've always been really bad with stance dancing. I tend to opt for classes/builds that don't require much (if any) of that. So, elementalist had a definite learning curve for me at least in terms of breaking out of my usual comfort zone.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    I actually prefer staff. I enjoy the versatility that it gives and I kill stuff just fine with single or multiple targets.
    Staff was my least favorite on Elementalist. Mostly due to ground targeting. I hate that when I am kiting all over the place. Like I would have a cool move planned in my head like, "Oh, I'm gonna double tap dodge his swing and come up behind him, hit my reverse and DROP DEM MEOTEOS SON!1!1"

Then my reticule would be like half away across the screen and I am getting mobbed by risen chickens. -_-

Curiously, I didn't mind staff so much on my Mesmer. It was just far less effective than double sword & sword/pistol. Mesmer was rather faceroll. I would say that is also a fast leveling class were it not for the lack of AOE and brutal CDs. Though it was agreeably tanky.

All professions are equally fast, it all depends on your luck with events really, but if you know where to go for the event all professions are equally fast.

And all professions are strong and can solo anything up to veterans easily.

I've yet to max out a guy in this game, but Warrior is pretty easy if only due to being straightforward. Pick up a greatsword and longbow or rifle, and wreck some stuff.

Engineer is kind of a late bloomer of a class, but that just means its power curve/leveling capabilities expand significantly as it levels. Ranger is obviously super easy, especially if you get a bear pet. Elementalist, in my experience, isn't too hard. You do want to swap attunements from time to time, but for the most part it's staying in one attunement and blasting away. Necro/Mesmer/Thief are the only classes I haven't really played a lot of. They're cool but I think Necro/Thief are kind of like Engy and just get way stronger as you get higher level due to more traits and stuff.

All that said, Engineer is definitely the guy I want to hit level 80 on if/when I go back to the game sometime. So much fun and so much variety. Only a couple other class builds can offer that kind of versatility/sustain and damage.

Curiously, I didn't mind staff so much on my Mesmer. It was just far less effective than double sword & sword/pistol. Mesmer was rather faceroll. I would say that is also a fast leveling class were it not for the lack of AOE and brutal CDs. Though it was agreeably tanky.
    My only Mesmer hate came from the no permanent speed boost. Movement speed in this game is literally leveling speed.

I now have a Mesmer , Ranger , Warrior and Elementalist and level 80 and i have to say that Warrior kicks bottom at leveling speed. It just melts groups of mobs. I run in and hit one while throwing my sword at another and charge one more. Elite or normal it matters not. 100 blades ftw. I know it is an easy class to play but there is simple joy to be found in 100 bladeing as a Norn...

I am trying a Necro just now and they look like they will be a painful few dozen levels.

Deleted
    Rangers are pretty damn easy and quick.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tissuebox View Post
    Monk, paladin and druid, all tank, healers and dps. Monk being the fastest with the exp buff.
    Dungeon spam to lvl 80 or 85 and then switch dps for the last levels.
    Did you even read what game OP was referring to?

10+ Year Old Account
    blankity blank
    Last edited by Achaman; 2013-06-24 at 02:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    I'd really like to know what engineer specs y'all are running and how you're leveling because I am truly baffled as to how engineer is fast. I've tried a few different builds and weapon/kit setups and engineer isn't anywhere near other classes I've played (which is all but thief at this point). If nothing else that suggests to me that engineer must be a lot like elementalist in that it's only fast if you know what you're doing, which either I don't or people have a very different definition of "fast" than I do.
    I only started playing again recently and I have put on 20 levels in the few days I have played since then on my engineer. I am running a modified 'flame tank build' The flamethrower makes short work of most everything if you have enough +condition damage

http://www.gw2db.com/skills/calc/eng...0|0|0|0|0|0|0|

Quote Originally Posted by Deadite View Post
    I am trying a Necro just now and they look like they will be a painful few dozen levels.
    I loved leveling my Necro. The Necro and the Warrior both felt like they could take on the world and come out smelling pretty. The Ranger is easy to solo with but I never felt like he could take on groups of mobs and/or solo certain events. I never had that problem with my Necro. Maybe it's just a play style for me. /shrug.