Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lassifer View Post
    The Ranger is easy to solo with but I never felt like he could take on groups of mobs and/or solo certain events.
    Traps. I run a 3x trap build with ground targeting + the trait that enlarges traps. Only issue is single target dps is kind of terrible so I purposely try to group up mobs to AoE. Never had much issue soloing many events with the build either.

Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    Traps. I run a 3x trap build with ground targeting + the trait that enlarges traps. Only issue is single target dps is kind of terrible so I purposely try to group up mobs to AoE. Never had much issue soloing many events with the build either.
    Very cool. I like my Ranger but haven't messed around with Traps much. I might give it a go and see how I like it.

10+ Year Old Account
    got a guardian to 17 deleted it made a warrior got to 10 got bored went back to my 80ele and now i just die constantly doing 12-18 fractals...

i want a new char but i just cant deal with the heart quests and events after always being underleveled so having to do wvw for the extra exp
    Last edited by Achaman; 2013-06-27 at 12:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Achaman View Post
    i want a new char but i just cant deal with the heart quests and events after always being underleveled so having to do wvw for the extra exp
    Get some cheap food like Cinnamon Apples, some Apprentice Maintenance Oil, and EXP boosters (I have a lot from opening BLCs). Do your personal story when you can, that is a huge chunk of experience at low levels. Try to do every daily objective you can on the alt, that's also quite a bit of EXP too. Hit up guild EXP banners when possible. Should go without saying, but do every DE, even if it's just to turn in 1 item or kill 1 enemy.

Being underleveled shouldn't be a problem after all of that. It's what I did on my thief and I shot up to level 15 fairly quickly, before I was even half done with the starting zone. Even if you do somehow still find yourself underleveled, once you finish that first zone you won't be anymore. Just hit up another one of the racial starting zones instead of going straight to a level 15-25 area.

I also suggest buying gear upgrades every ~6 levels. I put in buy orders on level 14 masterwork gear early so I'd have the whole set by the time I reached that level. It should make things easier if you're always well equipped.

10+ Year Old Account
    Get some cheap food like Cinnamon Apples, some Apprentice Maintenance Oil, and EXP boosters (I have a lot from opening BLCs). Do your personal story when you can, that is a huge chunk of experience at low levels. Try to do every daily objective you can on the alt, that's also quite a bit of EXP too. Hit up guild EXP banners when possible. Should go without saying, but do every DE, even if it's just to turn in 1 item or kill 1 enemy.

Being underleveled shouldn't be a problem after all of that. It's what I did on my thief and I shot up to level 15 fairly quickly, before I was even half done with the starting zone. Even if you do somehow still find yourself underleveled, once you finish that first zone you won't be anymore. Just hit up another one of the racial starting zones instead of going straight to a level 15-25 area.

I also suggest buying gear upgrades every ~6 levels. I put in buy orders on level 14 masterwork gear early so I'd have the whole set by the time I reached that level. It should make things easier if you're always well equipped.
    thing is starting with the charr zone i get past the prologue talk to the tutorial npc then go get the PoI at the skritt area do the level 5 skill challenge see if the skritt and the devourer events are going on ifso i do them then the nearby heart and get any waypoints/PoI/vista in the immediate area still ending up underleveled and having to do higher level hearts or even going to wvw for a few extra levels

the last char (level 10 warrior) i did wvw to level 7 after the first 4 heart quests and a few events and by the time i got to doing quests again (by that tme i was technically overleveled)i still managed to become underleveled for the level 10+ quests

and whats DE?

i do my personal story once i get to 10 as it always seems to be more painfull than it somehow should be if i do it at the minimum level and gear wise i just spend my karma as what i have on my main just sits there collecting dust.. although finding gear without crafting or buying from the TP seems impossible and i endup relying on drops and karma vendors when you say buy new gear arent i usually too poor early on.. and since better gear gets pricer by level its not going to get any better.

---------- Post added 2013-06-27 at 05:05 PM ----------

i also thought about leveling jeweler and cooking on the new char but then id want to wait till i have a char i want to keep and continue playing before i use all the materials and if any cash to get it maxed.. i found some guide which supposedly would get me from 3 to 12 from cooking which really doesnt sound all that great considering theres 80 levels.. but if i actually continue to gater mats i could probarly use the fancy food for extra exp and buffs

jeweler as i heard its an easy craft as it doesnt use those damn insignias (got tailoring from 215 to 400 yesterday as i felt like it) and the gems would be usefull for the rest of my chars

You shouldn't be under leveled at all (especially not for PS since it's rather easy). You do know that each map (where it says lvl 0-15 for example) is subdivided in other minor zones right? This means that in the map there are zones of lvl 5 enemies lvl 8 enemies and so on. From your description it sounds like you simply end up in a zone that's higher lvl than you and don't really notice.

DE = dynamic event, the orange circle thingies. They give quite a bit of XP so it's worth doing them. Note that you don't need to do a DE from A to Z to get full rewards, you can just tag (stay for a minute or two) it and move on.

Some tips:
    1. Gather everything you come across, it's quite a nifty bit of XP for not a lot of time
    2. DE > heart. You'll usually complete hearts by doing DE's so if you see a DE a tad from where you're completing your heart move
    3. Do your PS, it's easy
    4. You don't need gear. Sure having level appropriate gear is handy but it shouldn't hold you back. (you get good gear from PS)
    5. If all else fails you can use crafting to boost your levels really easily

I don't understand how any experienced player could be under leveled in this game, ever (unless on purpose).

Guardian is far and away the most easy I'm finding.

1H Sword + Torch

Teleport into a group of mobs, light yourself on fire, and drop consecration. Swap to 1H + Shield and Skill 5 if you get overwhelmed. Loot and repeat.

I am killing mobs 3 and 4 levels above me without much difficulty. I could do it on my Warrior but had to be skillful about it. My Elementalist would get routinely leveled, however.

10+ Year Old Account
    ffs im overleveled and ive got better gear than i normally would have and i still fucking die to a low level mission they make leveling a new char so damn frustrating

ffs im overleveled and ive got better gear than i normally would have and i still fucking die to a low level mission they make leveling a new char so damn frustrating
    Probably a problem on the 8th OSI layer.

the last char (level 10 warrior) i did wvw to level 7 after the first 4 heart quests and a few events and by the time i got to doing quests again (by that tme i was technically overleveled)i still managed to become underleveled for the level 10+ quests
    The directional flow for Plains of Ashford isn't that good, the only zone that's worse is Caledon Forest. Once you've done the immediate hearts outside of the Black Citadel you need to follow the path around the back side of the city to the Victor's Presidium not through the cave to the Old Duke's Estate or else you can encounter underleveling. Looking at the wiki might help as it has a list of the waypoints and what level areas they're near.

although finding gear without crafting or buying from the TP seems impossible and i endup relying on drops and karma vendors when you say buy new gear arent i usually too poor early on.. and since better gear gets pricer by level its not going to get any better.
    I rarely spend over 1c above vendor cost for gear off the TP, which is why I put in my orders early. Sometimes on low level green gear I have to go maybe ~3c above vendor because there are a lot of buy orders, but that shouldn't be breaking the bank. Every 6 levels it should be relatively easy to get a full upgrade of gear for less than 50c.

It's not really necessary, but if you're really having that difficult of a time then it should help.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    I don't understand how any experienced player could be under leveled in this game, ever (unless on purpose).
    It's possible. The last two alts my bf and I made together we were running into being underleveled in the first starting zone and I still don't understand why. I drag him kicking and screaming to every DE that flickers at the corner of my screen, and we were doing our personal story quests, so it wasn't due to lack of activity. It's the main reason I started using EXP boosts and food on my latest alt.

I have a theory that they nerfed DE gains, especially since the last time I took an 80 to Queensdale I was literally getting half of the karma I used to get and that was with having +60% karma gains. I didn't look at experience since after 80 it becomes irrelevant, but if EXP gains were on par with karma you get a lot less bang for your buck out there now.

But Lane, you have 4 other starting areas. There is no possible way to be under leveled.

Oh, after the first zone you're right. I'm talking about starting out of the gate, especially if you get unlucky with DEs around the hearts. Just doing hearts isn't enough and never has been to keep from being underleveled.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't have a direct source to link, but I read in a few places that the XP amount is designed with the assumption that players are leveling crafting and gaining XP from gathering at the same time. I have never been underleveled (I love doing world completion), so I can't speak to that.

They really shouldn't design anything around crafting. GW2's the first MMO since early WoW I've even bothered with crafting (and I shouldn't have) because it's always a huge money sink with little to no profit to be made. Half my characters don't have a craft because I learned 2 on each character when I only had the default 5 slots and I'm not about to spend my hard-earned gold leveling redundant crafts.

10+ Year Old Account
    didnt really want to play my warr but after changing some things via the bank i played it got to level 15, finished plains, found some nice upgrades mostly from drops, and pickedup and cooking and jeweler just incase i stick to the char then went back and finished monthly on my main

kinda playing it in bursts atm it takes me ages to decide to get on my alt but when i do i get five levels and complete half the zone

---------- Post added 2013-06-29 at 04:24 AM ----------

They really shouldn't design anything around crafting. GW2's the first MMO since early WoW I've even bothered with crafting (and I shouldn't have) because it's always a huge money sink with little to no profit to be made. Half my characters don't have a craft because I learned 2 on each character when I only had the default 5 slots and I'm not about to spend my hard-earned gold leveling redundant crafts.
    i only did crafting on WoW for the endgame bonus's like tailoring gets some fancy enchantment or w.e it was and mining gave extra stamina on my dk other than that its just a waste of time and money and unless you farm for mats and sell high

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    But Lane, you have 4 other starting areas. There is no possible way to be under leveled.
    It is worth noting too, that being "under level" in GW2 doesn't matter a whole lot. Players are not severely penalized for such. In fact, players are REWARDED for being under level when running around zones.

The idea of "under level" in GW2 is not totally correct. It's not a valid concern in day to day play. It's psychological conditioning. Lowly.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2013-06-29 at 03:13 AM.

i only did crafting on WoW for the endgame bonus's like tailoring gets some fancy enchantment or w.e it was and mining gave extra stamina on my dk other than that its just a waste of time and money and unless you farm for mats and sell high
    I made money hand over fist in WoW when I quit crafting and sold everything I gathered. It's a shame GW2 doesn't work the same way, but gathered materials (except for cooking) are almost inconsequential in crafting. The focus is all on the fine material drops and, of course, that's where all the money is.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    It is worth noting too, that being "under level" in GW2 doesn't matter a whole lot. Players are not severely penalized for such.
    It depends on the level discrepancy. When enemy levels are red to you they hit you for significantly more damage and you do significantly less damage to them. Plus, I still don't know what the threshold is, but trying to do a level 40 event in Harathi Hinterlands on a level 30 character resulted in absolutely nothing. No event credit, no kill EXP despite doing damage to them, etc. There probably is some sort of 'sweet spot' for it, but you'd have to figure out exactly where it is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    It is worth noting too, that being "under level" in GW2 doesn't matter a whole lot. Players are not severely penalized for such. In fact, players are REWARDED for being under level when running around zones.

The idea of "under level" in GW2 is not totally correct. It's not a valid concern in day to day play. It's psychological conditioning. Lowly.
    underleveled as in a heart quest or event being for level 6 and your level 5.. and having done all hearts events your level and under

---------- Post added 2013-06-29 at 06:06 PM ----------

I made money hand over fist in WoW when I quit crafting and sold everything I gathered. It's a shame GW2 doesn't work the same way, but gathered materials (except for cooking) are almost inconsequential in crafting. The focus is all on the fine material drops and, of course, that's where all the money is.
    the insignia's are a massive pain since they first take a few claws or blood then take twice thant then triple that to the point where you need more and more just to get your crafting up by 2 points

i recently spend like 2 gold on getting my tailoring from 215 to 400 and other than some rares to salvage for globs i honestly wont bother with it oter than make a bag or two which cost more than buying them on the TP since the runes of holding arent exactly cheap..

quick tip. Buy the insignias they're usually cheaper than making them and then use them and level your crafting through discoveries.