Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    I don't really have anything against the use of the child to get people's money (it's how girl scouts stays afloat) but this whole thing just seems like mocking the WBC, which achieves nothing but making them more hardened and bitter. No amount of this, or gay people smooching at their protests, is going to change their minds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    I don't really have anything against the use of the child to get people's money (it's how girl scouts stays afloat) but this whole thing just seems like mocking the WBC, which achieves nothing but making them more hardened and bitter. No amount of this, or gay people smooching at their protests, is going to change their minds.
    I don't really think it's as much about changing their minds as it is about making them as uncomfortable as they make others.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    You are still missing the point after 5 pages?

It's not about the lemonade.

It's about shilling your 5 year old to promote your charity.
    Well there are 2 things:

-First, you know you got these "debate" not because you think that what that girls parent do is bad, but because you're comparing what they are doing to what WBC is doing...

-Second, is kind of normal to see people using childrens to get money, that's how many things stay at float... coj coj girl scout coj coj, at least they are using that for something good and not for their own benefit

Quote Originally Posted by maxilian View Post
    Well there are 2 things:

-First, you know you got these "debate" not because you think that what that girls parent do is bad, but because you're comparing what they are doing to what WBC is doing...

-Second, is kind of normal to see people using childrens to get money, that's how many things stay at float... coj coj girl scout coj coj, at least they are using that for something good and not for their own benefit
    I really don't see that it's any different. Both groups are using unwitting participants in furtherance of their goal. If you think this is about a 5 year old selling lemonade, and not about attacking the WBC, then there really isn't anything to discuss.

This is a well executed deliberately orchestrated attack on the WBC and it's hate speech.

Why is it suddenly acceptable to use children as leverage simply because the message is something you (or anyone else) agrees with?

Would you chastise the WBC if they set up a lemonade stand outside their head quarters, and had 5 year old kids selling cups of "Hateorade" with the express intent of donating the proceeds to a traditional marriage charity? Yes, you would. Except, people aren't doing it here because to them, the ends justify the means.

10+ Year Old Account
    First, it played into a tired and old stereotype: "those people are going to corrupt our children"! Some money was made selling pink lemonade, in front of the Pride colored house. Yippee? By the end of the week, I'd be stunned if WBBC wasn't using that to support their agenda.

Second, if you have to tell me what something isn't, that's a bad sign that it sure looks like it is. Perhaps this "is not necessarily a gay thing" but the symbolism -- pink lemonade and Rainbow colors and the link to Buzzfeed LGBT, doesn't do much to dispel that impression. No problem, but I find using a five year old as the face of the fundraiser in questionable taste. She is too young to be considered legally competent to make choices about sex, but she is now tied to a particular cause. If somebody makes an issue about parenting, and this is Kansas so I would expect that to be a possibility, she is going to be the one caught in the middle of the fight. Here is an article with a bit more information on things. I hope the money was worth it, because she has now become a target in a battle she can't understand.