Quote Originally Posted by tielknight View Post
I'm fairly certain you could get one from a place like Ibuypower/Cyberpower for cheaper with similar/better specs. Sure they may not be "badly built" but this is Dell we are talking about, they earned their place overpricing cheap computers. Alienware is akin to Apple, popular and with a price-tag to match. If you can find a good config, post it so we have something to compare to.

Chaos's build is very good and hardly skimping on anything.
I went and picked similar/close to similar parts at Ibuypower and the priced ended up at $1618, that is with these options.

Which is damn close to buying them separate.

The aurora doesn't even allow you to pick from the haswell processors for cryin out loud.
thats the thing though, the 3820 is HEDT platform, haswell is consumer platform, it's like comparing a spec'd out Ford to an entry level BMW, the Ford is obviously going to be a better buy, but the BMW is still a BMW, i've had this argument in the past, and for the aurora, ibuypower and cyberpowerpc only ever matched them during sales for the same hardware

obviously its going to be smarter to buy haswell, but you can't really discount the aurora for what it is, it does deliver $1400 gaming machine performance, personally i would build a z77/z87 first in that price range, but you are not going to gain a massive FPS gain in wow by picking one or the other, the difference is that with the aurora, you have a multi-billion dollar company backing it, if you have a problem, they will help you, ibuypower on the other hand could dissappear tomorrow

and dell is not that bad when it comes to customer service, i remember a while back we had a user on this forum with an aurora, his 590 failed, so dell sent him a brand new 590 no questions asked, he then sent the failed one to EVGA, who sent him back a working model, so he ended up with 2 590s, that is definately worth any extra $1-200 you pay for an alienware