Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1

    An Actual Incentive To Acquire Elite Gear

    Right now I don't see very many people striving to acquire elite gear with the fact you don't actually gain any power from doing so, in fact it only makes for an annoyance due to the reacquiring of gems/enchants/etc.

    This has probably been thought up of before so I'm not claiming to be original here, but why not simply allow for Elite gear to be upgraded. Allowing for people to acquire a moderate boost through upgrading their elite pieces without skewering Blizzard's ideals too much.

    As of right now once you've acquired Conquest gear there is no reason to go through the effort of acquiring the Elite version - the pain is more than the reward. People need a boost in performance to consider pursuing something, aesthetics alone isn't appealing enough.

    Heck, it could be only a one-time boost of 4 item levels and that would suffice. Something still superior without being too powerful. But the current design Blizzard is pursuing removes proper incentive. They need to realize that most people don't care for aesthetics very much, and if they do most would simply transmogrify from older, typically better appearing outfits.

  2. #2
    Its more for the prestige than it is for the aesthetics: being able to equip the gear is something you can only accomplish if you've reached 2200, something few players manage, similar to raid mounts/gladiator mounts. 2200 gear is just allowing high rated players to distinguish themselves with a set of gear that cant be obtained by just doing 10 games a week with some clown you found in trade chat. If the elite gear had an item level boost above the non-elite gear, it would simply cause a problem that they solved last patch: Higher rated players keeping lower rated players down in the lower brackets because of the gear differential. Currently, in Battlegrounds/Arenas, the issue of pve gear in pvp, and fully geared players dominating lesser geared players is at the smoothest point it's ever been and a big upgrade from what it was in the past.

    Outside of instanced-pvp, however, is another beast.

  3. #3
    Brewmaster Naztrak's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Nagrand Arena
    Posts
    1,478
    I hope wow players finally realize its about becoming the elite player not getting the elite gear.

  4. #4
    buy it, then transmog it.

    There is 0 reason to bother regemming and enchanting when you can just transmog it lol.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Ritthepally View Post
    buy it, then transmog it.

    There is 0 reason to bother regemming and enchanting when you can just transmog it lol.
    I was thinking this too but who the hell actually likes the way pvp sets look these days? Most people want it so when other inspect them their gear says elite.

  6. #6
    Brewmaster dacoolist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    In front of the computer - Naked
    Posts
    1,341
    Quote Originally Posted by Ritthepally View Post
    buy it, then transmog it.

    There is 0 reason to bother regemming and enchanting when you can just transmog it lol.
    It requires the gear in the first place to buy the Elite. It doesn't just allow you to purchase a looking piece, it requires the regular conq piece (honor after 25,000 this season), and then the conquest to purchase it.

  7. #7
    i don't see a problem with increasing the ilvl. make it 522 or so. this way elite pvpers can kill elite pve players in world pvp and it won't effect real pvp in any way

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by loki504 View Post
    i don't see a problem with increasing the ilvl. make it 522 or so. this way elite pvpers can kill elite pve players in world pvp and it won't effect real pvp in any way
    Exactly. I think A LOT of people have mentioned this since the 5.3 changes were announced. And it has no downside to it really. Elite gear is hard enough that it won't be making a massive difference in PvE and having tough/time-consuming gear be comparable to normal mode raid gear isn't a bad thing at all when there's still heroic PvE gear that's better.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-860 @2.8GHz | Radeon HD 7770 | 8GB DDR3-1333MHz | Corsair CX 430W |

  9. #9
    If the elite gear is going to have the same ilvl as the normal gear, then it should look ALOT better (not worse).

    Its like saying your doing back breaking hard work just to lose money rather than being paid.

    A solution, make the gear require 2.2k rating again, then add more detail to the elite gear to SPAZZ it up and make it worth regemming, reforging, and enchanting (somewhat relevant to how the challenge gear works) instead of just making it a different color... DURP.

    Oh and can some1 post this in the real forums or tweet this with the blues? i am really sick and tired of the way the elite gear works, idk if it is elite gear or not, i want season 1-12 back (where getting a sick weapon was pretty awesome and better way of how the coloring on the gear worked, any color other than red was just meh gear then the elite gear was all red which meant something).
    Last edited by Beefkow; 2013-06-19 at 07:12 PM.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefkow View Post
    If the elite gear is going to have the same ilvl as the normal gear, then it should look ALOT better (not worse).

    Its like saying your doing back breaking hard work just to lose money rather than being paid.

    A solution, make the gear require 2.2k rating again, then add more detail to the elite gear to SPAZZ it up and make it worth regemming, reforging, and enchanting (somewhat relevant to how the challenge gear works) instead of just making it a different color... DURP.
    I kind of agree with this notion.

    Lets say PVP Tier X regular is a set of armor, Tier X elite should have an 'Improved' look to it. Like comparing WLK pvp sets.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by mmmmmmmBacon View Post
    Its more for the prestige than it is for the aesthetics: being able to equip the gear is something you can only accomplish if you've reached 2200, something few players manage, similar to raid mounts/gladiator mounts. 2200 gear is just allowing high rated players to distinguish themselves with a set of gear that cant be obtained by just doing 10 games a week with some clown you found in trade chat.
    Even the high rated players called the elite gear "completely worthless"... there is no prestige from wearing it. It basically gives you no advantage and no cosmetic difference because people just transmog anyways. I doubt anyone is willing to grind a whole new gear set just because it says elite, lmao

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewski View Post
    Even the high rated players called the elite gear "completely worthless"... there is no prestige from wearing it. It basically gives you no advantage and no cosmetic difference because people just transmog anyways. I doubt anyone is willing to grind a whole new gear set just because it says elite, lmao
    Exactly, the elite gear doesn't tell people, "wow, that guy worked his butt off to get something that was worth achieving" instead it just make them look more goofy and since you now need 25k conquest points (and 2k rating i think for next season's pathetic gear) just makes you look like a total idiot because you just wasted lots of gold for something not worth getting.

  13. #13
    I don't understand,
    The incentive to get elite gear is a side product of pvping.
    In order to be good at pvp (arenas/rbgs), you play pvp.
    When you pvp, you get points. What you do with those points, is your choice. Some of the new sets are rather nice.

    If you only pvp for gear (and not to play), then you may have lost sight of the purpose of pvp.

  14. #14
    You make good points, however this thread really comes down to what you believe is a worthy reward for your PvP efforts. For me, it's about seeing how skilled you are vs all other competition, and rating is my reward. It proves you have the skill to beat players equally geared as you are. If you simply want greater gear advantages, your skill comes into question, since you are simply outdamaging and outhealing others without any extra input on your side. In my opinion, PvP should be about skill and not gear, and your rating reflects that skill, which is the ultimate bragging right, and rating should drive your ambitions.

  15. #15
    Moderator Nicola's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    4,706
    Quote Originally Posted by loki504 View Post
    i don't see a problem with increasing the ilvl. make it 522 or so. this way elite pvpers can kill elite pve players in world pvp and it won't effect real pvp in any way
    Most elite PvP'ers don't even care about world PvP, and even if they do, they really don't need the gear advantage to kill a PvE player for the sole reason that most elite PvE'ers just suck in PvP.

  16. #16
    Screw ANY further gear disparity.

    Elite gear should only ever be cosmetic. Period.

  17. #17
    I can agree that having to buy another set of gems and enchants is stupid. Of course, if it were up to me, they would be removable from gear and reusable. There is really no good reason for this not to happen. Beyond that though, I fully support the way things are. Gear should not be a factor in competitive play at all, and the incentive should be the competition itself, not rewards or gear.

  18. #18
    There needs to be an incentive other than the looks of gear. Perhaps a badass mount would do.

  19. #19
    I am Murloc! roahn the warlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In your base, killing your dudes
    Posts
    5,108
    Quote Originally Posted by Mican17 View Post
    There needs to be an incentive other than the looks of gear. Perhaps a badass mount would do.
    ^ this. I understand gladiator mounts... but uhh, there are a fuck ton more mounts for PVe and as a PVE player. I say there should be cool mounts for those who hit 2200. Since the titles never change, to my knowledge. and no one looks at tabards

    ---------- Post added 2013-06-20 at 12:56 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Antti View Post
    I don't understand,
    The incentive to get elite gear is a side product of pvping.
    In order to be good at pvp (arenas/rbgs), you play pvp.
    When you pvp, you get points. What you do with those points, is your choice. Some of the new sets are rather nice.

    If you only pvp for gear (and not to play), then you may have lost sight of the purpose of pvp.
    Oh well jeeze, and here I thought my reason for doing things was my own reason, didn't know it was what you said it was supposed to be. silly me
    It was never Hardcore Vs Casual. It was Socialites Vs. Solo players
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    World of Warcraft started life as a Computer Roleplaying Game, where part of the fun of the game experience was pretending to be your character. Stuff like applying poisons and eating food enhanced the verisimilitude of the experience of playing a fantasy character in another world. Now that game has changed to become a tactical arcade lobby game.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by roahn the warlock View Post
    ^ this. I understand gladiator mounts... but uhh, there are a fuck ton more mounts for PVe and as a PVE player. I say there should be cool mounts for those who hit 2200. Since the titles never change, to my knowledge. and no one looks at tabards

    ---------- Post added 2013-06-20 at 12:56 AM ----------



    Oh well jeeze, and here I thought my reason for doing things was my own reason, didn't know it was what you said it was supposed to be. silly me
    cool mounts should be left for the top glads, rating type of thing. Such as PVE has them per tier. top people get their glory mounts (not always) and possible ones off a end boss / heroic boss

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •