Which spec should I try?

Hey there! New Rogue here. Haven't really played my Rogue seriously since DS times. Getting back to raiding as a Rogue after playing both Warrior and Monk this tier. My iLevel is still fairly low, only 470 atm as I hit level 90 just a few days ago.

My question is, which spec should I focus on for raiding? I realize a lot of this can depend on what drops. But let's pretend it's an ideal world and I'll get whatever weapons I'll need for my spec. Is Assassination producing better numbers overall? I've heard Combat can be hectic. I just don't know what to do. I'll provide an Armory link (mind, I'm missing enchants and such as I'm still collecting gear) but really this is more of an opinion question.

Thanks!

-S

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Sulik/advanced
    Last edited by Kael; 2013-06-18 at 06:34 PM. Reason: link fixed

Assassination is currently the best performing spec, who knows what will change in the future so if you do see a slow weapon drop maybe pick it up for offspec. Other than that, gearing for specs is easy; they almost all share similar builds.

10+ Year Old Account
    Assassination is the best for any type of pve content and is very comfortable to play. Do not be lured by other people in these forums that may persuade you to play badly designed specs such as Combat.

Do not raid with Combat, do not level with it, do not attempt 5 mans with it, do not do challenge modes with it, do not pvp with it, do not do dailies/scenarios with it. Just ignore it completely. That's my advice.

Assassination is more forgiving for beginners to raiding. Plus it doesn't hurt that it's the leading raiding spec so far this expac.

Once you get the hang of it and feel bored try other specs. You'll find that all rogue specs have similar mechanics and it's just a matter of which playstyle you prefer.

Reading the stickies might help give you a rough idea which to choose.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd stay primarily focused on assassination, but if you're serious at all about doing your best, learn combat and give subtlety a poke or two. There's no reason not to know all 3 specs in case they become better later - combat's more likely to pull ahead than subtlety, and no rogue spec should be too hard to learn. Combat will be ahead for some fights for some gear sets (mostly dependent on weapon drops) at the moment, and the future (5.4+) is unknown territory.

Subtlety is seeing a bit of a resurgence in PvE. Personally, I prefer it because I like the frenetic rotation and the focus on using Stealth abilities. It's also really good if you're running with builds that crit a lot, like Fury Warriors or Fire Mages, because of Honor Among Thieves.

Deleted
    Assassination is the best for any type of pve content and is very comfortable to play. Do not be lured by other people in these forums that may persuade you to play badly designed specs such as Combat.

Do not raid with Combat, do not level with it, do not attempt 5 mans with it, do not do challenge modes with it, do not pvp with it, do not do dailies/scenarios with it. Just ignore it completely. That's my advice.
    If you have good gear, 2 decent trinkets, under 40ms and 4 set combat can be higher single target than assassination, I agree combat can be clunky and very demanding but to label it like that is wrong, if you suffer from higher ms or energy capping during cd's you can always stagger adr/shb which would only result in a tiny dps loss, there will be some fights you can't use killing spree on cd for though like durumu.

Quote Originally Posted by Sneakyluap View Post
    If you have good gear, 2 decent trinkets, under 40ms and 4 set combat can be higher single target than assassination, I agree combat can be clunky and very demanding but to label it like that is wrong, if you suffer from higher ms or energy capping during cd's you can always stagger adr/shb which would only result in a tiny dps loss, there will be some fights you can't use killing spree on cd for though like durumu.
    Let's be honest even the strongest rogues are wary about switching to combat. What is the point in discussing combat to someone who is obviously very new to the class.

Quote Originally Posted by Mugajak View Post
    I'd stay primarily focused on assassination, but if you're serious at all about doing your best, learn combat and give subtlety a poke or two. There's no reason not to know all 3 specs in case they become better later - combat's more likely to pull ahead than subtlety, and no rogue spec should be too hard to learn. Combat will be ahead for some fights for some gear sets (mostly dependent on weapon drops) at the moment, and the future (5.4+) is unknown territory.
    That would be my advice too. Assassin feels pretty good to me atm, thank goodness. Don't know what I'd do if i had to go combat and get finger cramps.

I appreciate all the feedback so far. I've been gearing up and doing LFRs but tonight I'm actually taking a spin into some normal mode raids. I'm looking forward to seeing how it plays. I'm giving Assassination a shot as it's the spec I spent most of my time in while leveling, as well as I only have daggers. I would like to give Combat it's fair shot, as I believe in being fluent in all specs of a class. Again, thank you for the feedback thus far.