15+ Year Old Account

People breaking the rules in threads that get locked

If this should not be a thread and rather a PM, please lock/blank it out and I will happily send it on to a mod instead. I felt it was general enough to be Feedback, personally.

Lately I've noticed a lot of locked threads ending the exact same way:
    -Thread locked (good)
    -OP or other main trouble-maker infracted (also good)
    -All other rule breakers up to the lock seemingly ignored (less good)

A lot of people are breaking the 'don't post just to call someone a troll'/'don't post meme/INB4 the lock type replies' type rules in locked threads, and seemingly being passed over. I can understand not being overly heavy-handed with it, but there is also a point where a lot of the same people are doing it in all the flamebait, obviously inappropriate threads. "This is gonna get locker" or "you're an idiot" type responses aren't helpful or constructive, and they should add up eventually.

I guess I am simply saying that a more thorough glance over the thread after it has been locked (not some 100 page derail, but the obviously bad from the start, locked ASAP kinds) might not hurt.

15+ Year Old Account
    If you see cases like this, you should report the post(s) -- mods do look over threads when locking, but sometimes either need to run before finishing or miss bad posts when going back.

If you see a lot in a particular thread, you're welcome to PM to the mods of the forum or super mods with a link to make a more general report.

15+ Year Old Account
    I worry a little about spamming the report button (something I'd honestly forgotten about until I read over that sticky for this thread).
    Like, I watched a flamey thread get posted (and then get locked) last night, live, so I was putting in more reports as posts got made.

That being said, thanks for the response Sunshine, and I'll try to make a more general report next time if needed.

You can just report just once and tell the mod "oh post #2 is bad because blah blah, and over here post #7 is bad too because xyz" all in one report, you know.

I made a report about it, but also moderators posts when locking threads should be meaningful.

Posts like " I don't even need to explain why I'm locking this thread" should be avoided, and actual reasons for locking a thread should be written, so that not only the OP but also the viewers of the thread will know what rule is broken and learn from it.
    it sort of clashes with the rule of the forums where you have to post constructive.
    Quote Originally Posted by vep View Post
    Are you really looking for logic in a game that sends you dragons via the mail service?...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tribunal View Post
    I worry a little about spamming the report button (something I'd honestly forgotten about until I read over that sticky for this thread).
    Like, I watched a flamey thread get posted (and then get locked) last night, live, so I was putting in more reports as posts got made.
    It's fine if there are merit to the reports. Sometimes mods get pretty busy and have our hands full so post reports are very very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    You can just report just once and tell the mod "oh post #2 is bad because blah blah, and over here post #7 is bad too because xyz" all in one report, you know.
    Actually one comment on this: Typically after we handle an issue (likesay infract the OP or close the thread), the reports pointing to the OP are closed to signify it's been handled. So if the OP already hit and the thread already closed, issuing a report on from the OP's post may just bump the closed report (but won't reopen it) and it may get missed. So make sure that if you do this, that you do it with a post that hasn't been handled yet.

Or you can just PM the mod that closed the thread and say "oh, can you please look at posts X, Y, and Z in that thread you locked too please?"

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, spamming every single post isn't needed because mods do get an email for every report, but it's helpful to get a couple reports at problematic posts with notes on what you feel is wrong and what other posts should also be looked at.

Quote Originally Posted by DPA View Post
    I made a report about it, but also moderators posts when locking threads should be meaningful.

Posts like " I don't even need to explain why I'm locking this thread" should be avoided, and actual reasons for locking a thread should be written, so that not only the OP but also the viewers of the thread will know what rule is broken and learn from it.
    it sort of clashes with the rule of the forums where you have to post constructive.
    Yeah, mods should be giving more than that; if you see someone doing it consistently, you can PM me and I'll talk to them

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    I'm aware BUT in your example, post #7 didn't exist when I reported post #1. I watched the thread get made (obvious troll/flame thread) and then reported the bad posts as they happened in the window it was left not-locked (not a super long window, but it was middle of the night for the US so a bit longer than normal, got a few pages).

Thanks again for the support Sunshine and Tziva, just hate to see people repeatedly posting purposefully against rules and seemingly suffering no consequence because they're overshadowed by the colossal rule-breaking that was the OP.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post
    Yeah, mods should be giving more than that
    I agree with this. like judges, mods who infract people are doing so for 3 goals:

1) to indicate it's wrong what they did.
    2) to encourage them not to do it again.
    3) minor revenge (please don't tell me it's not satisfying to e.g. see someone glorifying paedophilia get banned), but sanctioned.

the points you get from an infraction are the encouragement (more of a discouragement to do it again). the infraction itself is the revenge. however, the indication to the outside world should be more than just "infracted" or even just the red card. it should be a clear, concise message that explains what rule is violated. for example, I sometimes see people get infracted for just saying "reroll rogue" or something similar without addendum, but it's not clear if it's because the message is not brought constructive, the message to reroll is not allowed, or both (like the message to reroll is not allowed without constructive support).

10+ Year Old Account
    Infractions are not for revenge even on a minor level. That sort of approach indicates an emotional investment that a mod shouldn't even have. If a mod is that deep into the discussion that they feel the need to get vengeance, they will have a different, uninvolved mod review and issue the infraction if needed. The goal of moderation is to enforce the rules in a way that facilitates further discussion without disruption, and teaches the poster that that particular behaviour is not okay and why.

If you're confused about your own infraction was issued, you can PM a global or an admin and ask for clarification. I think that in most cases the reasons behind infractions are obvious from the forum rules and that the cases where there is background or non-public information that isn't immediately apparent are few and far between.

In the case of your hypothetical example above, an infraction would be issued because telling someone who is looking to solve an issue with their character to just "make a new one" is (a) rude (b) unhelpful and nonconstructive (c) spammy / useless post.

We don't leave long infraction edits because they can be distracting to discussion. The user who receives the infraction will get a PM with more elaborate details explaining, so it shouldn't ever be confusing to the person it pertains to.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |