Thread: Workout routine

Workout routine

Hey guys. I have a need to get a five or six day work out routine. I'd like to do two a days as well if possible. I have no idea what to split up and work out on different days. I work in a factory so trying to find a balance of not over doing it to the point where I can't efficiently work.

I'm 6'0 23 and weigh 200 lbs and have been stuck at that weight for many months.

My diet is not at all good either. I tend to eat a lot of frozen and our processed food because of how cheap and readily available it is.

Edit any help or advice on food or routines would be appreciated
    Last edited by Valiea; 2013-06-18 at 08:44 AM.

Aveline's amazing work!

Deleted
    You can do any routine you prefer, do note that it's recommended not to do 2 stints at the gym within 6hrs of each other and not the same muscle group within 48hrs of each other.

I'm personally going to gym 7 times a week atm with the schedule sounding like this: Back/Biceps(pull) day - Triceps/Chest(push) day - Leg day - Stomach/cardio day and then I just repeat. If for whatever reason I can't make it to the gym on any given day, I just push the schedule back a day.

Every 3-4 months I switch to something else to get my body to adapt. Like full body routines or routines loaded with cardio activities.

As for dieting:
    Breakfast: Oat meal with skim milk (no extra sugar added).
    Lunch: A sandwich with some sort of meat product (preferrably chicken or tuna, but most meat products will work) add some cucumbers/salat/tomato or something like that and some dressing if you like, but don't over do it.
    Dinner: Chicken + frozen veggies (broccoli/carrots etc.) + brown rice.

It's pretty cheap and not a huge hassle to make yourself. Snack on nuts (I usually snack on raw almonds) and bananas and drink lots of water throughout the day to resist the urge to overeat.

Thanks for the advice Yilar, it's not so much that I prefer any one routine over the other, it's just I don't know how to organize it so it makes sense and won't overwork muscle groups in a few days of exercise.

I do plan on doing at least a few 2 a days with cardio as one of the portion and the other as a weight lifting. I work 3rd shift, so around 8am EST I plan on going to the gym, going home to sleep until about 4-5pm EST and then getting back in the gym by 6. That's 10 hours, I assume that would be okay for a double shift at the gym?

Aveline's amazing work!

Deleted
    I don't have time to spend whole week at gym so I just do two days for 1.5h each and doing all the muscles groups. If I could I would obviously do more days but 2 days work perfectly so far. I dont do any cardio at the gym though. I have crosstrainer at home plus I run atleast 1-2 times a week.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yilar View Post
    You can do any routine you prefer, do note that it's recommended not to do 2 stints at the gym within 6hrs of each other and not the same muscle group within 48hrs of each other.

I'm personally going to gym 7 times a week atm with the schedule sounding like this: Back/Biceps(pull) day - Triceps/Chest(push) day - Leg day - Stomach/cardio day and then I just repeat. If for whatever reason I can't make it to the gym on any given day, I just push the schedule back a day.

Every 3-4 months I switch to something else to get my body to adapt. Like full body routines or routines loaded with cardio activities.

As for dieting:
    Breakfast: Oat meal with skim milk (no extra sugar added).
    Lunch: A sandwich with some sort of meat product (preferrably chicken or tuna, but most meat products will work) add some cucumbers/salat/tomato or something like that and some dressing if you like, but don't over do it.
    Dinner: Chicken + frozen veggies (broccoli/carrots etc.) + brown rice.

It's pretty cheap and not a huge hassle to make yourself. Snack on nuts (I usually snack on raw almonds) and bananas and drink lots of water throughout the day to resist the urge to overeat.
    if your going to the gym 7 days a week then you are either not training hard enough or your on peds.if you workout hard "that how you make gains" you body needs atleast one day of rest per week.your body grows at home not in the gym.

---------- Post added 2013-06-18 at 08:51 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Valiea View Post
    Thanks for the advice Yilar, it's not so much that I prefer any one routine over the other, it's just I don't know how to organize it so it makes sense and won't overwork muscle groups in a few days of exercise.

I do plan on doing at least a few 2 a days with cardio as one of the portion and the other as a weight lifting. I work 3rd shift, so around 8am EST I plan on going to the gym, going home to sleep until about 4-5pm EST and then getting back in the gym by 6. That's 10 hours, I assume that would be okay for a double shift at the gym?
    you need to figure out how many days a week your going to be at the gym,then you can break down you workout routine around that.

the best way to make sure you do not over work your muscle groups is by not doing for example- chest on day one then shoulders on day 2. or back on day 2 then bi's on day 3,see my point?try to give yourself a day of rest in between my groups.like chest day 1 then back and bi's day 2 then shoulders day 3.you have a day of rest from push day to push day.

try to keep things simple if your just starting out.here is an easy 4 day routine.
    day 1= chest and tri's
    day 2 = back and bi's
    day 3= legs
    day 4 =shoulders
    day 5 =rest
    day 6= repeat
    throw cardio and abs in as much as you want.thats a simple workout routine that should not confuse you.like i said figure out how many days a week you wan tto hit the weights and go from there.

a little tip-i like to do cardio after i do the weights-your body has burned threw its energy this = your in fat burning mode.

as far as food goes you are what you eat.get a big pack of chicken and cook it all at once.put it in the frig and reheat it/eat it when your hungry.cooked chicken stays fresh in the frig for over a week.just come home or take some with you for fast easy meals,same goes fore vegs .
    Last edited by meathead; 2013-06-18 at 01:01 PM.

Diet will have more impact on weight than workouts will, as a general routine.

Formulaic schedules are great for some people, but I think you need to find what works for you. If you like lifting, ask specific questions about lifting that people can help with. No matter what else you're doing, getting in a couple days a week with weights will be good for your appearance, strength and flexibility, bone density, and general health.

If you're looking to burn tons of calories working out, nothing does it quite like steady-state cardio. Running's still pretty much king on that front, unless you're comfortable swimming very far.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by meathead View Post
    if your going to the gym 7 days a week then you are either not training hard enough or your on peds.if you workout hard "that how you make gains" you body needs atleast one day of rest per week.your body grows at home not in the gym.

---------- Post added 2013-06-18 at 08:51 AM ----------

you need to figure out how many days a week your going to be at the gym,then you can break down you workout routine around that.

the best way to make sure you do not over work your muscle groups is by not doing for example- chest on day one then shoulders on day 2. or back on day 2 then bi's on day 3,see my point?try to give yourself a day of rest in between my groups.like chest day 1 then back and bi's day 2 then shoulders day 3.you have a day of rest from push day to push day.

try to keep things simple if your just starting out.here is an easy 4 day routine.
    day 1= chest and tri's
    day 2 = back and bi's
    day 3= legs
    day 4 =shoulders
    day 5 =rest
    day 6= repeat
    throw cardio and abs in as much as you want.thats a simple workout routine that should not confuse you.like i said figure out how many days a week you wan tto hit the weights and go from there.

a little tip-i like to do cardio after i do the weights-your body has burned threw its energy this = your in fat burning mode.

as far as food goes you are what you eat.get a big pack of chicken and cook it all at once.put it in the frig and reheat it/eat it when your hungry.cooked chicken stays fresh in the frig for over a week.just come home or take some with you for fast easy meals,same goes fore vegs .
    You realize you just listed the exact same thing i'm doing aside from the fact that you have a dedicated shoulders day (which you can easily split into chest/tri and back/bi days) And the 4th day is just a rest day with cardio/stomach which you state I can throw in anyway. That gives me a workout like this:

Day1: back/bi/back shoulders
    Day2: chest/tri/front shoulders
    Day3: Leg
    Day4: Rest day with cardio/stomach
    Day5: Repeat

And no you don't need to be on roids to goto the gym 7 times a week if you have 4 days between training of same muscle groups. I could easily cut out the cardio/stomach day and insert that throughout the other days and then have 3 workoutday-1 restday-3 workoutdays-1 restday routine, but I prefer to split them up, so I don't have to stay at the gym for long durations of time. In the end 5*1,2hr is the same as 4*1,5hr.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Valiea View Post
    Hey guys. I have a need to get a five or six day work out routine. I'd like to do two a days as well if possible. I have no idea what to split up and work out on different days. I work in a factory so trying to find a balance of not over doing it to the point where I can't efficiently work.

I'm 6'0 23 and weigh 200 lbs and have been stuck at that weight for many months.

My diet is not at all good either. I tend to eat a lot of frozen and our processed food because of how cheap and readily available it is.

Edit any help or advice on food or routines would be appreciated
    It's hard to give any specific advice without knowing your training experience. The best universal training system I've seen is the PHAT program from Layne Norton, however it's a pretty advanced program to begin with, however if your quite new you could just remove many of the isolation exercises and focus on the big lifts, while following the same days.

Other than that, there is a lot of good programs to find on the internet, but equally as many bad. But generally, if your experience isn't that great, it is better than find something premade, as with my experience most that try to make their own fail miserably.

Quote Originally Posted by meathead View Post
    That's false information. While not recommended for total newbies, your body can without a problem adapt training 7 times a week, or more if need be. Just as long as your taking precautions and make a program suitable for your high frequency and not just go on the day basis it will be alright.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Diet will have more impact on weight than workouts will, as a general routine.

Formulaic schedules are great for some people, but I think you need to find what works for you. If you like lifting, ask specific questions about lifting that people can help with. No matter what else you're doing, getting in a couple days a week with weights will be good for your appearance, strength and flexibility, bone density, and general health.

If you're looking to burn tons of calories working out, nothing does it quite like steady-state cardio. Running's still pretty much king on that front, unless you're comfortable swimming very far.
    Following a schedule is recommended for ANYBODY. Its not about what works for you in this case. The best gains comes from consistency and progression, without neither your would stagnate fast as your CNS never fully adapts a particuler training rutine. The best workouts include some sort of progression. Progression builds strength and strength increases hypertrophy potential.

Quote Originally Posted by Labze View Post
    Following a schedule is recommended for ANYBODY. Its not about what works for you in this case. The best gains comes from consistency and progression, without neither your would stagnate fast as your CNS never fully adapts a particuler training rutine. The best workouts include some sort of progression. Progression builds strength and strength increases hypertrophy potential.
    Not everyone's looking for hypertrophy. I see nothing in the OP's post that suggests that he is, and his current lack of regimen suggests that jumping into a highly specific routine will not be helpful. Finding what he likes to do is going to be the first step, any schedule that's not balanced around that is just going to lead to burnout and failure. If he starts doing different workouts and settles on, "hey, I really enjoy cycling!", it's not going to make sense to tell him to spend three days a week on upper body work in a weight room.

If his goal is just to be as chiseled as possible and get a beach body, you're (of course), correct. That'll still be more of a matter of diet than anyone's getting into here though.

edit - To be clear, I'm not saying you're wrong at all with regard to weight training advice, just that we don't even know if that's what the OP is looking for.
    Last edited by Spectral; 2013-06-18 at 01:45 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Not everyone's looking for hypertrophy. I see nothing in the OP's post that suggests that he is, and his current lack of regimen suggests that jumping into a highly specific routine will not be helpful. Finding what he likes to do is going to be the first step, any schedule that's not balanced around that is just going to lead to burnout and failure. If he starts doing different workouts and settles on, "hey, I really enjoy cycling!", it's not going to make sense to tell him to spend three days a week on upper body work in a weight room.

If his goal is just to be as chiseled as possible and get a beach body, you're (of course), correct. That'll still be more of a matter of diet than anyone's getting into here though.

edit - To be clear, I'm not saying you're wrong at all with regard to weight training advice, just that we don't even know if that's what the OP is looking for.
    Your of course right if that isn't his intentions, might have been to fast to not fully notice that he hasn't clarified his goals.

Hey guys, sorry I haven't responded. I work 3rds so I just woke up about an hour ago.

I have trained over the years and went from 270-280lbs to my current 240lbs. I know a bit about how to work muscle groups and how to do a set and a circuit. My issue is that I don't know how to separate the muscle groups which I have seen here. My goal is right now to lose the gut and lose the fat and then start to lean up and gain muscle mass.

Ideally, I'd like to be around 180-200lbs with most of it being muscle of course. I just finished doing a 2 month 3 days a week with a trainer recently due to financial issues or I would continue to have a trainer.

I love to do weight training, anything really with free weights and most machines. And I'm relatively good about doing cardio on my own before or after a workout. Usually I start with a 5-10 minute warm up to get my heart going, and then I move on to the weights and then finish with anything from 15-30 minutes of cardio at the end of my workout.

I have found that I need to keep low impact when doing cardio, and that I have a hard time doing anything off of my back (abs) because I had an L4-L5 disc herniation that resulted in surgery but one side is still a bit bulging and it causes me great nerve pain down my leg when I do some of the abs exercises.

Aveline's amazing work!

My workout routine contains only cardio and abs exercises because the combination of these exercises work well for the fitness improvement and weight management.
    I do jogging, cycling, swimming, push ups, pull sups, sits ups, ans crunches in my routine workout for at least 40 minutes.

To know about the Maitland Health Club
    Last edited by Alfred555; 2013-06-29 at 02:49 PM.

Deleted
    mm I'm like Alfred. I do a lot of running, squash, tennis and some pull ups/push ups/crunches etc normally about 5 times a week.