Maybe that is why I liked DA2 then. *At comment above*

---------- Post added 2012-04-10 at 10:54 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Notos View Post
    I honestly have no idea how you could not appreciate Merrill's character. Imo she was very well done, and the end to her story is just heartbreaking.
    Oh Merrill...I felt so bad for her. I wanted to romance her so badly but I hit the flirt option too many times with Anders and had the gay buttsex.

But Merrill...sheesh. Has to be in my top 5 favorite party characters. Not in any particular order: Alistair, Morrigan, Merrill, Leliana, and Varric.
    Last edited by KrazyK923; 2012-04-10 at 10:55 AM.

Deleted
    I'm skeptical; I didn't like the majority of changes they made in DA:2 and I've not seen much beyond a few vague promises that they'll be doing anything worthwhile for DA:3. I'll keep an eye on it, but I'm really not hopeful.

I agree with KrazyK.

I liked Origins. I liked DA2 for different reasons. Meh. I also disliked both for different reasons.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    When I think of "DA2 combat", I instantly think of ninjas - everything poping out of nowhere. Ordinary bandits appearing out of thin air (right in the middle of your mages), dozens of enemies suddenly showing up in empty streets, wave after wave of opponents, and people exploding into tiny chunks after being killed by... well, pretty much everything. Oh, can't forget Rogues attacking 10 times per second (and teleporting) or Warriors swinging 2 handers like they were nothing, with each hit resulting in 5 enemies exploding.
    E: Ah, forgot Mages and their staff-dance. Seriously, watching them autoattack was embarassing.

Somehow, that didn't seem very "RPG" to me, more like some crazy action movie with absurd fight scenes. Not that those are bad, but it's not quite the thing I thought I was buying.
    Last edited by KaPe; 2012-04-10 at 11:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrianoz View Post

Notice how the only terrible game BioWare has done to date is Dragon Age 2, which is the only game that deviated from this concept.
    Except the flaws with the game have zero to do with the story and everything to do with level design and variety. The combat is another reason for some.

Quote Originally Posted by KaPe View Post
    When I think of "DA2 combat", I instantly think of ninjas - everything poping out of nowhere. Ordinary bandits appearing out of thin air (right in the middle of your mages), dozens of enemies suddenly showing up in empty streets, wave after wave of opponents, and people exploding into tiny chunks after being killed by... well, pretty much everything. Oh, can't forget Rogues attacking 10 times per second (and teleporting) or Warriors swinging 2 handers like they were nothing, with each hit resulting in 5 enemies exploding.
    E: Ah, forgot Mages and their staff-dance. Seriously, watching them autoattack was embarassing.

Somehow, that didn't seem very "RPG" to me, more like some crazy action movie with absurd fight scenes. Not that those are bad, but it's not quite the thing I thought I was buying.
    I agree some of the combat is over-the-top, but I liked the teleporting rogues :P

They also fixed the enemies exploding into body parts thing in one of the patches.

Quote Originally Posted by Istaril View Post
    I'm skeptical; I didn't like the majority of changes they made in DA:2 and I've not seen much beyond a few vague promises that they'll be doing anything worthwhile for DA:3. I'll keep an eye on it, but I'm really not hopeful.
    It's too early to say, but I think that after taking in all the fan reactions, Bioware has some idea of what worked and what didn't in both Origins and DA2.

Really though, as long as the storytelling and great characters remain intact, I'll be happy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Laidlaw
    "We're not making promises here, we're talking about ideas," he warned.
    seems they learned their lesson with ME3

Deleted
    I enjoyed both games so i'll be digesting all this info as as soon as i get home, i didnt realise they said anything about it or were going too at PAX, easter keeps me out of the loop on this.

I just hope they learn some lessions about 2, i wasn't one of the deepside "0/1 WORSTEST GAME EVER!!" now the best RPG ever.

I hope they keep things such as

1. things changing over time: I liked this aspect of Kirkwall, doing events and then having some time in between and seeing some consquences of it a few years after, i think they over did it in 2, going through 3 time phases of the same place got repatative, i'd like them to have a bigger world, like 3 hub cities and just have a couple of big events leading to a couple of time phases, maybe 3 if the intro is small.

2. The Armour system - i love how they made the party characters look unique, rather then slapping on some old armour and having the excess gear i had floating around in DA:O

3. the Charcaters and interaction - they never get a whole casts thats interesting but in both games they've had some characters ive really enjoyed isabella, Varrik, Merril in 2 and Morrigan in the first. they also had alot of ambient dialogue in 2 between the charcaters which i loved. i hope they build on that and maybe have the main charater able to intercede and say something when the two other are talking/arguing such as Support charcater A or B or Taunt character A or B. The interaction was good but sometimes when they were talking id have liked my character to join in especially if theyre talking about my character.

The things i do hope they get rid of or sort out are the

1. Reused dungeons/Caves - lazy, unforgivable, its okay to resuse assets, but not reusethem to the nth degree with the only diference being a slab of rock over a door way yet the map still shows the same layout.

2. give it time- bioware latest games - Me3 and SWTOR all have being rushed out before they were ready, lots of corners cut(ME3) or additions making the game mroe complete (TOR), no doubt this is down to EA, i dont think their 2 years between sequels is working, give these games another 6 to 12 months to make them more complete.

3.Decide if it want to be an Action game or an RPG, if its a mix of both it just makes it a bit of a mess like 2 's combat was(Mash lots of the action button)

David Gaider is a pathetic excuse for a human being and DA2 was a horrible game, so I'm not even going to give DA3 any attention.

Deleted
    kinda hard to get hyped for any bioware game after ME3 and DA2...

Meh...I won't get hyped by Bioware games anymore. Everything they say just sounds empty to me...
    Ours not to make reply. Ours not to reason why. Ours but to do and die!

I'm amazed there isn't a DA3 thread where we can hype about the game yet.
    It really isn't though. At this point people are kinda skeptical to Bioware, or rather what EA will make Bioware do to please their requirements.

I bet a lot of people feel the same way that I do about DA3; it's not a must buy anymore, we'll just have to wait and see if Bioware, and to some extent EA, has learned their lesson.

Deleted
    I'm honestly missing the plots we had when games like BG and Planescape were out.
    No "big threat" no world to save.. I mean maybe there were those components but they were more on the side, you saved the world as a consequence of a personal journey like your following Sarevok for Vengeance or trying to understand who you really are in Planescape.

I would like to see again a game with a plot where you are not "omg my hero save us" but more "who the hell are you? fuck off" and then you gut them with a sword, just because your character find it either offensive or fun..

In Baldur's gate you were basically a nobody in the real sense of the term and you began the sory for *you* reason and not because you were force fed to do something bigger for everyone else. You got into big situations for sure but in the end the objective was "I was to save Imoen, I want vengeance" *personal* reason.

Deleted
    I liked DA2 but it go boring halfway though and the story was just inane drivel imho. I really tried to like it and not jump on the hate bandwagon but the story was just too silly. The combat system was quite good though. DA:O's story wasn't original but it did the job and gave it an epic feeling. The true depth in DA:O was in the decisions and different possible scenarios in interactions with your party.

I'm hoping they will make DA3 a combination of Origins and DA2, taking the best part of both. If ME3 is anything to go by they will try and partly succeed at this, releasing a game that will be better than DA2 but still not as good as DA:O.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Any news in regards to whether you play a set character (Hawke'ish) or if you can pick between races (Grey Warden'ish).... Oh and can i be a 9ft tall Qunari with giant horns yet?

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Quote Originally Posted by Kakokun View Post
    It really isn't though. At this point people are kinda skeptical to Bioware, or rather what EA will make Bioware do to please their requirements.

I bet a lot of people feel the same way that I do about DA3; it's not a must buy anymore, we'll just have to wait and see if Bioware, and to some extent EA, has learned their lesson.
    If ea is in it for the money, they should have learned/will learn soon enough (one can hope anyways) that the way to make money is to make great games, not to rush sequels which are hated by the fans leading to the death of a franchise. Even if DAII made them a lot of money chances are DAIII wont because of them messing up the 2nd part.

I hope bioware also got the message and will go back to doing what they do best, make great games.

I really like the first. I hate the second and I will try the third.

Quote Originally Posted by Vulpei View Post
    I'm sorry, there were tactical elements in 1 that were enjoyable? Combat in 2 was 10x better in -every- way.
    I certainly enjoyed planning my actions more than just mashing buttons and see how everything explodes.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F19eoDYYSMA

The story in DA2 was boring and DA:O's wasn't? The gist of DA:O was: rally a bunch of people and fight a dragon. Sounds familiar... (Awakening is better, of course)
    yeah i will take generic "go kill a dragon" rather than solving issues of rich spoiled brats in a city for 15 hours or w/e...
    Also, for me DA1 wasnt about killing a dragon, especially not after what happened after said dragon death. Don't really want to spoil anything to anyone but im guessing you know what im talking about if you completed Origins. To narrow it down i mean what happened shortly before last event and was said after last event.

The whole point of Flemeth being in DA2 is that she survives and will presumably have a role in future events (and of course they were well below their quota of cryptic hags). Did she do all that much more in DA:O? Nope. All she does is save your ass in both games, and the difference is that you kill her in one game and save her in the other.
    Well, w/e she was in da2 or not doesnt matter AT ALL. Point is that she appearing makes no sense whatsoever if there is no follow up on her story throughout whole DA2... If you need saving you could ahve been saved by anything, it didnt have to be Flemeth by any means...
    In DA1 Flemeth is extremly mysterious, along with Morrigan actually and this is what makes both of them awesome.

I do agree that they need to go back from having waves and waves of easy enemies to fewer enemies that have more health and hit harder.
    well, that goes without a question.

The cast in DA2 was overall better than DA:O, at least for me. Like I said earlier, Morrigan and Alistair were my favorites in Origins (I like witches and sad puppies). I honestly have no idea how you could not appreciate Merrill's character. Imo she was very well done, and the end to her story is just heartbreaking.
    I prefered da1 but thats personal preference here i guess and Merrill... i couldnt care less about her. Never followed her story other than 1 chain quest with her people if i remember correctly. Her character didn't appear to me at all. Felt like slightly retarded 14 year old girl...

You should actually read through the original post and look at the PAX info. They basically spent the ENTIRE PANEL saying that they will keep all the stuff that people didn't like about DA2 from being in DA3.
    I could watch it, but i also value my time... Game designers always make promises and they hardly ever deliver them. I will wait for end effect when it comes to dragon age rather than waste my time listening/reading dev's promises and plan's... Atm i have enough games soon to be launched to focus on rather than something that is months if not year+ away.

I'm currently playing thru DA2. TBH I didn't like DA Origin, and didn't really finish it, although I still have the savegame. One day maybe lol. Anyway this fast paced (and ok, dumbed down) DA2 is much better IMO. It reminds me of Dungeon Siege 1, which is one of my favorite RPG.

DA is like ME for me. ME1 is almost unplayable. ME2 is better but the UI... OMG.. the horror. ME3 is a great game with a lacking UI.

Deleted
    with DA2 and ME3. And even imo swtor, i am at a point where i am not getting hyped again by any bioware / ea game. Also looking at the latest grandprize won by EA. The golden poo 2012.

So i might look at same gameplay when DA3 is released, but for now. Its just another bioware game to me.