10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    Start with Origins and skip DA2.

An alternative to that is to wait until DA2 goes on a sale ( it happens occasionally even on Origin ) if you are feeling brave.
    More often than naught, they put their older games on sale a lot. It's just the DLC price that stays the same. I figure during September they will have a Dragon Age sale where everything will be on sale. Including DLC.

Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    An alternative to that is to wait until DA2 goes on a sale ( it happens occasionally even on Origin ) if you are feeling brave.
    Probably should forgo any thoughts of playing DA2 whatsoever. Playing that game will tarnish your thoughts about the series - or at least lose hope in it.

10+ Year Old Account
    DA2 improved on DA:O in numerous ways. The first being the combat became more than clicking each character and having it do 1 ability round and round and round again. Its fairly decent action combat if you bind the attack nearest command to spammable button and go to town on it. The story telling is good, new characters are fun, and the DLC as well.

It reuses environments a lot, it does waves of enemies, and it revolves around a single city. Thats the negatives, but how that out weighs the positives I don't know.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Korgoth View Post
    DA2 improved on DA:O in numerous ways. The first being the combat became more than clicking each character and having it do 1 ability round and round and round again. Its fairly decent action combat if you bind the attack nearest command to spammable button and go to town on it. The story telling is good, new characters are fun, and the DLC as well.

It reuses environments a lot, it does waves of enemies, and it revolves around a single city. Thats the negatives, but how that out weighs the positives I don't know.
    I think the change from slow strategy combat to more actiony was a weird transition, and fairly unnecessary when you could alternate between your 4 party members to keep busy. Their whole PR thing was also...not so great. THe everyone is bisexual was also weird. I'm sad Dorian is strictly gay, but Im glad they've made it as who he is instead of a "lets make them appeal to everyone!" shtick.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dragon Age 2 may not be the best game ever created, it may have a lot of flaws, some really annoying - but it is still a very good game. Don't listen to people saying that it is not worth playing - it is probably a worse game than Dragon Age 1, but better than almost every other non-Bioware/Obsidian title.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, guess I should have stated that I actually liked DA2, its not as good as Origins but its not terrible.

10+ Year Old Account
    This been posted here yet:

Looking good. Putting Skyrim to shame on the dragon reveal!
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just saw that demo over on Facebook. Could this be Biowares redemption? I mean, we've all heard about how ME went downhill (mostly negative, with some minor positives) and from DA2 it seemed like the same was happening to this franchise. But this demo, just wow. Really cannot wait to get my hands on this one. Going to have to do that Keep thing though, as I have a few saves of DA:O from xb360 and DA2 on Mac, and plan on buying this for PC. Don't know if saves transfer cross-platform.
    "Believing something is not an accomplishment. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because “strength of belief” is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. Listen to any “die-hard” conservative or liberal talk about their deepest beliefs and you are listening to somebody who will never hear what you say on any matter that matters to them — unless you believe the same. Wherever there is a belief, there is a closed door."

Quote Originally Posted by Sylreick View Post
    Just saw that demo over on Facebook. Could this be Biowares redemption? I mean, we've all heard about how ME went downhill (mostly negative, with some minor positives)
    It went downhill? The only real negative I read and heard about was about ME3's ending.

10+ Year Old Account
    Putting Skyrim to shame? Skyrim broke the last gen consoles back in 2011. Imagine Skyrim running on current hardware, and not the same hardware that ran Oblivion.

10+ Year Old Account

It also have issues with friendly fire since it feels like that was more an afterthought slapped onto nightmare difficulty more than the game being built around it. You can also beat both games without controlling any party member at all on lower difficulties ( i am assuming that is used in your examples since you still need to control party members on the higher ones in DA2, there is no such thing as simple picking a warrior and going ham with a spammable button there even in DA2 )

10+ Year Old Account
    Looks amazing visually, but... Have they completely thrown away the idea of tactical combat and just decided to make one more Witcher? I personally don't mind - while I loved tactical combat in DAO, generally I prefer action-based combat. But there surely is going to be a lot of fans who will be really pissed about it. Especially those who played since Baldur's Gate...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    Looks amazing visually, but... Have they completely thrown away the idea of tactical combat and just decided to make one more Witcher? I personally don't mind - while I loved tactical combat in DAO, generally I prefer action-based combat. But there surely is going to be a lot of fans who will be really pissed about it. Especially those who played since Baldur's Gate...
    There is tactical combat, they just show it very briefly

10+ Year Old Account
    By Lieutenant Colonel Whiskers McBallofur Maximilliamus the Third
    I cant wait for this to launch XD dying for some exploration that doesnt involve crashing alot (Looking at you Skyrim >.< )
    “Snow can only live in the winter. When it nears a fire, it dies. That is its life. It may yearn for summer, but… it can only desire it. In my hand, the snow becomes water, because this is not its world….”
    “The boundless Heavens and Earth are the final resting place of all living things. Life is like a journey, filled with various scenery, various paths.

Herald of the Titans DiscoGhost's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    so i just watched a RAPTR Q&A overview with bioware. they answered some good questions. but still dont have a usable character creation menu, dragon age keep is atleast a whole quarter overdue from public realease, and nothing for a public played demo. i think theyre gona miss that october launch date.

- - - Updated - - -

i agree 100%. alot of people hated da2 but its my favorite by far.
    You can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish.

Enchantment? ENCHANTMENT!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    It went downhill? The only real negative I read and heard about was about ME3's ending.
    The combat is massively improved in 3 over 2. In fact it is the only Bioware game where I feel the combat does not deter from the experience, but enhances it. Its good enough I enjoyed the multiplayer, which is just grinding down waves of mobs. The tedious mining of planets was removed. The campaign flows well. The only story complaint before the ending is how it really doesnt support doing anything but the main story. But then how can it at that point, the end game was there, the reapers come, all action all the time. The visuals were outstanding. The music was equal or better than the other two games which is really saying something. That opening sequence is better than any opener in any other game I've ever played. It also has the most crowd pleasing DLC ever made.

I had two complaints with ME3.

The last like 5 minutes that suck. The ending is actually pretty great up until right before the whole star child idiocy is thrown in. There is even a mod that fixes it called MeHeM.

The lack of Miranda. Dam do I miss dat ass.

DA3 looks like its going to be an equally good step forward from that video. Yes you can do that play each squad member shit, but it really appeared you didnt need to. The AI looked competent.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Putting Skyrim to shame? Skyrim broke the last gen consoles back in 2011. Imagine Skyrim running on current hardware, and not the same hardware that ran Oblivion.
    Just look up Real Vision ENB, and there you go graphically for the most part.

But look how the dragon flys in, look how it moves, how it flys around the area, the effect of the fire, and animation of the limbs, even the sheer size of it. How you fight it. Its a hell of a lot more impressive.
    Last edited by Korgoth; 2014-07-10 at 07:23 AM.

That banter between Bull and Sera.

Deleted
    BioWare fanbased is a very loud lot.
    Just play the games and see what you think, noone else matters.

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Ah ok I didnt start with ME1 so I guess it wont be too bad since its the same company.
    Play the first one, because it is one of the best RPGs you'll ever see. You will also have characters in DA3 that play a part in DAO. ( Leliana, Morrigan, Cullen, Alistair, Flemeth )

DA2 was much weaker.