Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1
    Field Marshal Madcloud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    88

    Static Shock Lei Shen 10M N Question Regarding Ice Block

    I am aware that you are able to use Ice Block to "solo soak" a Static Shock. What am I curious of is it will still soak Static Shock damage if say you are stacking up for it. For example, in my team we have me(mage), resto druid, and guardian druid in one section for 2nd intermission. Let's say the resto druid gets Static Shock during this phase, and is unable to solo soak it. If I was to Ice Block inside his circle, would it count as me helping soak the damage, or would it simply count me as being out of the circle and cause the resto&guardian druid to take all the damage? I asked this here rather than "Raid" area because it pertains to mages... Thank you in advance for your input.

  2. #2
    It will count you as outsite the circle, so if only you and the druid stands inside the circle, the druid will solo soak it.

  3. #3
    I am almost 100% sure if somebody in your group uses a personal shield or an immunity such as Ice Block, Dark Bargain, etc. The full amount of damage is the split between all the other players in that group. This means you really don't want to use those type of cooldown's when soaking as a group, it most likely WILL cause a death as it's just like your not even soaking. Good cooldowns for this are group cooldowns like barrier, amz, spirit link, and also a monk can put guard on ALL the players soaking. Hope this helps.

  4. #4
    Warchief Kuni Zyrekai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The Frozen North
    Posts
    2,111
    Quote Originally Posted by WobePC View Post
    I am almost 100% sure if somebody in your group uses a personal shield or an immunity such as Ice Block, Dark Bargain, etc. The full amount of damage is the split between all the other players in that group.
    Correct. We can soak it plenty fine with G.Invis, though.

  5. #5
    High Overlord Henzington's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    184
    Yes it will split the damage even if you have an immunity. Also, Greater Invis is an excellent cool down as it will allow you to solo soak another static shock.

  6. #6
    Field Marshal Madcloud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    88
    Thank you guys and yes I do rock GI for this fight (and most others now). The problem is during 2nd intermission when we have leveled up Static Shock conduit, it seems to do a pretty nice chunk of damage. And 9/10 times my GI is down from previously soaking a Shock, and even with Ice Barrier and Incanters Ward i am still getting 1 shot on Shocks with 2 people stacked in it. Anyone else encountered a problem like this?

  7. #7
    Bloodsail Admiral spaace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,112
    Immunity > it will count you "out"

    Damage Reduction, like GI > count you there.
    3DS FC: 5172 - 0403 - 7277
    Pokemon Y Safari Steel Type (Feroseed, Forretess, Brozong)
    Bravely Default
    White Mage|XIV Stream

  8. #8
    Immunity counting you out is a myth unless this is a normal only thing. Myself and a shadow priest in my raid figured this out accidentally on heroic a few days ago. Long story short I was planning to solo soak a shock and didn't realize our s priest was under my aura for invocation. I blocked and he lived getting hit for a little over ~350k which is about right for the part of the fight we were in at the time if two people were soaking. No cds were used on his part.
    Last edited by Turkey One; 2013-06-18 at 05:13 PM.

  9. #9
    Immortal Polarthief's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    (USA) Florida
    Posts
    7,919
    If you're going to use the 5m cooldown, might as well use it to solo soak it. (Same with G Invis).

    Pop TS/IB(arrier) for non-solo soaks.

  10. #10
    dunno if it helps but resto druid get iceblock from mage with symbiosis and can solo soak it
    Last edited by elderamy; 2013-06-18 at 06:10 PM.

  11. #11
    Field Marshal Madcloud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    88
    Quote Originally Posted by elderamy View Post
    dunno if it helps but resto druid get iceblock from mage with symbiosis and can soak it
    indeed, the druid im with does this (its usually just us two in first intermission together in one section) but we have been bringing a hunter lately and he has been taking symbi with him because deterance has a shorter CD than iceblock for them. so he would be able to soak 1 in first intermission and another in 2nd.

    Basically this is my problem:

    2nd intermission comes, we have an extra person stacking with me&druid, 1 static comes on me, I soak, blah blah blah, second static comes up on 1 of the 2 others in my section, i go to stack, I pretty much get 1 shotted with IB(arrier) and Incaters Ward (i know IW is not rly for soaking damage its jst the 90 talent i use because i cannot stand evocating every minute). Since my GInvis is down due to just soaking a shock, and my IBlock is down because i most likely had to soak 2 shocks in 1st intermission(being its jst two of us), All im left with is Ibarrier and IWard. My group is Getting rid of Diffusion Chain first then after 1st intermission we get rid of Overcharge conduit and level on Static Shock conduit. I am not sure if maybe we are doing conduits wrong or what, but Static Shock hits like a truck in the 2nd intermission after being leveled, and when we run out of soaks it almost always kills someone even if they are topped off. We haven't been running logs since we are just practicing or I would post them.

    This is why I asked about Ice Block and how it works with static shock. I figure if by some luck of the titans I have it up in the second intermission, maybe I could use it to stand in someone else static shock and still take the damage but negate it, but since it is an immunity I wasn't sure how it would work. I seem to be getting a lot of different responses so I may just test it out tonight. In theory I guess it should count you out and put the damage on the other 2 stacking in there, but yeah, just trying to not get one shotted right before the last phase bcuz it's starting to piss me off.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Turkey One View Post
    Immunity counting you out is a myth unless this is a normal only thing. Myself and a shadow priest in my raid figured this out accidentally on heroic a few days ago. Long story short I was planning to solo soak a shock and didn't realize our s priest was under my aura for invocation. I blocked and he lived getting hit for a little over ~350k which is about right for the part of the fight we were in at the time if two people were soaking. No cds were used on his part.
    Completely different situation entirely, you had the Static Shock not the priest. If it was the priest who had it and you blocked, it would count as him trying to solo soak and ignore you.

    Also happens when DK's AMS even though it's technically an absorb not an immunity for damage.

    Your persistence of vision does not come without great sacrifice. Let go of the tangible mass of your mind, it is only an illusion. There is no escape.. For the soul burns on everlasting encapsulated within infinite time. A thousand year journey at the blink of an eye... Humanity is dust..

  13. #13
    I'd say you guys need to rework your strategy if only you and a druid are in a quadrant for the first intermission. It's clearly giving you problems later on in the fight. We run with our tank soloing one quadrant while our resident offtank solos the other. The other 8 people split between the two remaining quadrants. If you're doing 3-3-2-2 then maybe try swapping yourself out with someone who can heal themselves or has a bigger health pool. You don't want to rely on you surviving the fight on the "luck of the titans".

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Vakna View Post
    Completely different situation entirely, you had the Static Shock not the priest. If it was the priest who had it and you blocked, it would count as him trying to solo soak and ignore you.

    Also happens when DK's AMS even though it's technically an absorb not an immunity for damage.
    probably only if you have it glyphed... not sure tbh

    ---------- Post added 2013-06-18 at 08:30 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Madcloud View Post
    indeed, the druid im with does this (its usually just us two in first intermission together in one section) but we have been bringing a hunter lately and he has been taking symbi with him because deterance has a shorter CD than iceblock for them. so he would be able to soak 1 in first intermission and another in 2nd.

    Basically this is my problem:

    2nd intermission comes, we have an extra person stacking with me&druid, 1 static comes on me, I soak, blah blah blah, second static comes up on 1 of the 2 others in my section, i go to stack, I pretty much get 1 shotted with IB(arrier) and Incaters Ward (i know IW is not rly for soaking damage its jst the 90 talent i use because i cannot stand evocating every minute). Since my GInvis is down due to just soaking a shock, and my IBlock is down because i most likely had to soak 2 shocks in 1st intermission(being its jst two of us), All im left with is Ibarrier and IWard. My group is Getting rid of Diffusion Chain first then after 1st intermission we get rid of Overcharge conduit and level on Static Shock conduit. I am not sure if maybe we are doing conduits wrong or what, but Static Shock hits like a truck in the 2nd intermission after being leveled, and when we run out of soaks it almost always kills someone even if they are topped off. We haven't been running logs since we are just practicing or I would post them.

    This is why I asked about Ice Block and how it works with static shock. I figure if by some luck of the titans I have it up in the second intermission, maybe I could use it to stand in someone else static shock and still take the damage but negate it, but since it is an immunity I wasn't sure how it would work. I seem to be getting a lot of different responses so I may just test it out tonight. In theory I guess it should count you out and put the damage on the other 2 stacking in there, but yeah, just trying to not get one shotted right before the last phase bcuz it's starting to piss me off.
    we solo soak first and on second intermission we just stack 4 ppl! works fine for us. 3dps+1 heal on 2 of the platforms and tanks alone on the other...
    we disable the chainlightining btw...
    if you make the 2 groups in consecutive places you can get 8ppl to stack on the edge between 2 platfoms...
    Last edited by elderamy; 2013-06-18 at 07:32 PM.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Seanothan View Post
    You don't want to rely on you surviving the fight on the "luck of the titans".
    Why are you rely on the "luck of the titan" if u go in one corner with a tank?

  16. #16
    the more power that the conduit has the more damage the ability does.

    when my group was progressing on this we had issues with this too, lower the energy you are dumping into the tower that is giving you trouble.

    when we started we did like 86-90 in the chain lighting, then 76-80 in the next two, and we would end with about 40 or so in the shock tower, now we dont even get to the shock tower before he goes over, buts thats just gear.
    Quote Originally Posted by tkjnz
    If memory serves me right, a fox is a female wolf.

  17. #17
    Sometimes in transition phases, u will get static shock on ya, just as the bouncing balls are also about to hit - you can gr invis and soak the ball while taking low dmg in invis - stay in invis, and pop out once static shock goes off. Kinda nice for the ones u are assigned with on the platform and for yaselves ofc

  18. #18
    High Overlord Neonore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    105
    Can someone explain the theory behind this solo-soaking? We tried it yesterday (new on Lei Shen 10N) and sometimes it worked (me soaking, a Shadowpriest and a Hunter), sometimes people got 1 shot that were in the same group causing amazing wipes.
    We used the 2-3-2-3 setup.

    I used G-invis and Iceblock.

    Is it needed to solo soak? or is it handy but not bad if it isn't used at all. I like to "know" an encounter being done the normal way instead of using by-passes straight away.

    ______
    WoW-Europe ... /wow/en/character/runetotem/Niterage/simple

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Neonore View Post
    Is it needed to solo soak? or is it handy but not bad if it isn't used at all. I like to "know" an encounter being done the normal way instead of using by-passes straight away.
    It is not "needed", and of course you can choose not to use it at all - it will make the encounter simply more difficult. And it is no by-pass at all, it simply is playing as intended.
    But especially if you are not yet heroic geared (the 50k more stamina make a giant difference there) it helps a lot. Even if two people soak, having it powered up a little bit will cause both to get 500k+ damage, and quite simple if you have less life you die. So it is wise to assign people capable of solosoaking or mitigating damage (15% less damage from shadowform, moonkin etc. are very noticeable in this fight) in the 2 men corners.

  20. #20
    Solo soak using Iceblock and G Invis, both will allow you to live.
    If both are on cooldown, ice barrier on 10 man is worth blowing, call for another person to grp with you - but there is a chance you can live without another. In 25 you need another person with Ice Barrier.

    In general Iceblock/Invis is enough though.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •