Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Take a leaf out of Neverwinter's armor graphics

I know how Blizzard always likes to emphasize that shoulders are "the most recongnizable" part of an armor set, but I'd like to point out Neverwinter's armor system and how good it looks even at low levels, and how it keeps the medieval vibe that WoW so desperately needs to recapture.

Random female NPC, could easily be a Tier in WoW, reminds me of the Warcraft 3 intro cinematic human male armor. Classic Warcraft style;

http://imageshack.us/a/img16/6827/l4dt.jpg

My cleric companion(in mail and cloth) and my Guardian Fighter (only level 28/60), both could easily be dungeon sets.

http://imageshack.us/a/img96/7131/tqdb.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img833/3476/7oa8.jpg

Notice how I don't even have shoulder pads yet, and the armor looks amazing
    Last edited by Elysia; 2013-06-18 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Please don't post giant images. Use thumbnails if needed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow has good looking leveling gear as well when you get to level 70+

This is a level 70ish plate set for wrath

---------- Post added 2013-06-18 at 01:19 PM ----------

I think you problem is wows lower texture armor which is normal for an 8 year old game.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    in my opinion the best tier gear in WoW was from tiers 1-6 for just about all classes. i personally thought that just about all the sets from 1 thru 6 looked pretty neat for every class. not that none of the new sets look good, some of them do look cool but theyre a lot more hit and miss for classes than vanilla/bc models.

tiers 4-6 will still remain my favorite to date

Why does wow need more medieval themes when it is not a medieval game? It's fantasy.

Quote Originally Posted by iamthedevil View Post
    Why does wow need more medieval themes when it is not a medieval game? It's fantasy.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

warcraft has always had machines magic and swords

they do need to do something about the retardedly massive shoulders though, or atleast give us a hide shoulder option.

I agree. Thats what I love about wow. And as to the OP's pics, I really am not fond of that armor at all. I like WoW's quirky looking gear. Realisitc* looking armor in a game just doesn't really do it for me.

I hate the art style.

No thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Kenny View Post
    Avocado is a tropical fruit , south seas expansion confirmed.

...it's medieval fantasy, and wow needs more medieval themes again because shoulders that look like they weigh about as much as a fucking siege tank are ridiculous

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Neverwinter looks terrible, it really does.

That said, why does WoW need to "recapture the medieval feel"?, it was never even truly medieval to begin with. There's been silly, steampunk elements ever since Warcraft 2, and Warcraft 3 added some even wierder alien'ish looking stuff... So no.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Deleted
    The problem comes from WoW using completely different models between races. Cryptic are generally pretty good at having a decent variety in armor pieces because they're all fitted to a single model which is then scaled depending on the race.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Terielx1 View Post
    ...it's medieval fantasy, and wow needs more medieval themes again because shoulders that look like they weigh about as much as a fucking siege tank are ridiculous
    Nope, it's just all-around fantasy. Besides, there's always been gigantic shoulder plates in Warcraft, even in Warcraft 1 the orc grunts had enourmous shoulder plates - everything is as it should be.

My guess is that because World of Warcraft has always had a cartoonish fantasy vibe to it. Sure there's books people have written to try to be canon for the game but then you log in to the actual game and have dragons mailed to you and do pokemon battles.

Neverwinter on the other hand is set in the Forgotten Realms which is a more mature and serious fantasy environment.

It's a lot to get into and I could go on and on about it, being a huge Forgotten Realms fan that I am, alas Neverwinter the game itself, while it looks beautiful, I wish it was subscription based and not F2P because personally it feels too closed in to be a graphical representation of the Forgotten Realms.

TL;DR:
    Warcraft has always been very cartoony.
    Forgotten Realms has always been your more "realistic standard fantasy".

Warcraft will always have out of whack cartoony looking armor that is either a huge hit or miss depending on what class it is and what race is wearing it.

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    Nope, it's just all-around fantasy. Besides, there's always been gigantic shoulder plates in Warcraft, even in Warcraft 1 the orc grunts had enourmous shoulder plates - everything is as it should be.
    Just because orcs had it doesn't mean everyone else should have giant shoulder plates n.n

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KorbenDallasMultipass View Post
    I know how Blizzard always likes to emphasize that shoulders are "the most recongnizable" part of an armor set, but I'd like to point out Neverwinter's armor system and how good it looks even at low levels, and how it keeps the medieval vibe that WoW so desperately needs to recapture.

Random female NPC, could easily be a Tier in WoW, reminds me of the Warcraft 3 intro cinematic human male armor. Classic Warcraft style;

My cleric companion(in mail and cloth) and my Guardian Fighter (only level 28/60), both could easily be dungeon sets.

Notice how I don't even have shoulder pads yet, and the armor looks amazing
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuP6P3R3ArU Here you go, the Warcraft 3 Human intro cinematic, now notice the ambassadors up on the ledges - notice their helmets... They are gigantic, silly and very impractical, notice Medivh's colar, that's pretty darn big, then we have the human guards who drag him out - again very big and silly helmets and odd spear/staff-like weapons....

---------- Post added 2013-06-18 at 05:36 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Apathy - View Post
    Just because orcs had it doesn't mean everyone else should have giant shoulder plates n.n
    I didn't say that. Oh and here's another Warcraft 3 intro, notice the footman - again, VERY big shoulders and a VERY big helmet http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2f96hKqkY_Y.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am not normally the one to jump in and DEFEND Blizzard, in fact quite the opposite. But WoW's armor is unique and I like it, just as many others do... they've made a decision on where they wanted to take the game visually and artistically and I think it works, to go backwards and do what you are proposing I think would have a terrible effect on the game's financial performance.

Furthermore... those of you complaining about textures... and posting an item "set" from low level questing wrath gear... as your reference to WoW's poor quality of use of texture... well you aren't even presenting a valid argument because it isn't a "set" that they spent a lot of time on and if you were to pull from one of the more recent sets you would see that your argument is bunked.

10+ Year Old Account
    tier sets generally match the raid in some way, where they lift elements from the raid or use a theme. Look at firelands gear, very firey. look at dragon soul, very dragony. even the throne of thunder gear, very thundery.
    Hi

Deleted
    World of Warcraft's armour is painted on the skin, it's only the shoulders, and helmet that makes it stand out.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Klavier Gavin View Post
    World of Warcraft's armour is painted on the skin, it's only the shoulders, and helmet that makes it stand out.
    And sometimes gloves, boots and belts - but only sometimes. And in MoP we've even had a *few* leg pieces which weren't just a complete paintjob, so we are getting there.... Ish.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    Wow has good looking leveling gear as well when you get to level 70+

This is a level 70ish plate set for wrath

---------- Post added 2013-06-18 at 01:19 PM ----------

I think you problem is wows lower texture armor which is normal for an 8 year old game.
    Good god, do you play on a toaster?