Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    I find ridiculous armour sets just kill the immersion and the fantasy. Not to mention that after a while the novelty wears off, only leaving the sillyness and im starting to get sick of it.

I MUCH prefer simple and realistic looking gear.

Deleted
    Both suck. Neverwinter looks like your average generic korean grindfest. WoW devs and designers have become lazy for a long time.

More news at 11.

Quote Originally Posted by Klavier Gavin View Post
    World of Warcraft's armour is painted on the skin, it's only the shoulders, and helmet that makes it stand out.
    The only painted on pieces are leggings and chest, and in some cases even that isn't the case. (caster robes / shaman kilts)

OP - Love the look of the armor sets. May not work 100% in WoW's setting, but I appreciate it none the less. Looks AWESOME!
    As an avid armor collector - 11 toons 85+ and each working on different tier sets, I feel the problem with WoW is the incomplete sets that they are currently producing. Back when each armor tier had 8 components as opposed to the current 5, we could complete the look of the tier by grabbing all set pieces and there wasn't any question what the artist had in mind. We also could have 8 pieces which matched our current spec (Good example - DPS deathknight has to have tank bracers, belt and boots to complete the look and Monk T14 LFR version uses a mix of agility and spirit components to get the look, and the bracers are a random drop from a satchel which means I will never see them, and warlock, I am looking at your sets especially since a number of them are missing components and we have to find a close model)
    Don't get me wrong, I love WoW's tier sets, but would really love if they moved back to 8 pieces per tier.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like a lot of different armor styles. I would like there to be armor that looks like that, but not all of it.

Even though both games are fantasy, they clearly have different art styles. You can't really compare the two. Both styles would not fit in the other game.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

Quote Originally Posted by iamthedevil View Post
    Why does wow need more medieval themes when it is not a medieval game? It's fantasy.
    It doesn't.

But having them every once in a while would be nice.

10+ Year Old Account

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    WoW has always had absolutely massive shoulders. Especially plate.

Edit: I'd like to see Blizzard try new things with the armor, but armor like in the OP screenshot wouldn't really fit Blizzard's art style.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Neverwinter's armor looks bland to me.

I like WoW's over-the-top style, it fits with the "outdated" cartooney graphics.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Quote Originally Posted by Klavier Gavin View Post
    World of Warcraft's armour is painted on the skin, it's only the shoulders, and helmet that makes it stand out.
    As good as the gear looks already, it would probably look far better if they deviated from this and actually made armor sit on our characters. I'm sure the inevitable framerate drop will discourage them from ever doing it though.

It is always easy for a player to say that something from a game which does not have years of baggage should appear in another game, as if it was something trivial to do.

It is always easier to make a game prettier, more efficient when starting from scratch and not starting a decade ago, which is why modern games tend to look prettier than WoW.

Could WoW benefit from a graphics engine overhaul, and not simply minor tweaks or extra features squeezed in ?
    Yes, but it would be a hell of an investment money and time-wise and WOULD take resources away from most other features.
    Would it be worth the investment in terms of player uptake ? Likely not.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2013-06-18 at 06:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RoKPaNda View Post
    WoW has always had absolutely massive shoulders. Especially plate.

Edit: I'd like to see Blizzard try new things with the armor, but armor like in the OP screenshot wouldn't really fit Blizzard's art style.
    Of course it does, there are already lots of lower level armour pieces in Wow with the same style.

Wow's style of ridiculous armour only exists in game, but not in lore. In artwork (not counting TCG) everyone wears normal, down to earth armour. The majority of NPCs wear normal-looking gear,

WoW is about as medieval fantasy as Star Wars.

---------- Post added 2013-06-18 at 11:08 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    Of course it does, there are already lots of lower level armour pieces in Wow with the same style.

Wow's style of ridiculous armour only exists in game, but not in lore. In artwork (not counting TCG) everyone wears normal, down to earth armour. The majority of NPCs wear normal-looking gear,
    No way. I don't know what artwork you're looking at, but TONS of the official artwork outside of the TCG has the same colorful, fantasy-pumped up armor that we're used to.

I don't think the shoulder armor is the only issue with wow armor sets, some of the overall designs are just eh, like the paladin tier 10, at least in my opinion.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorehowl View Post
    they do need to do something about the retardedly massive shoulders though, or atleast give us a hide shoulder option.
    I take it you haven't heard of transmog?

The massive shoulders in WoW are my biggest gear pet peeve. I would be happy with being able to hide them similarly to helmets and cloaks.

Quote Originally Posted by Baar View Post
    I take it you haven't heard of transmog?
    The possibilities are limited and numerous sets would simply look a lot better without any kind of shoulders. Many sets don't even have fitting shoulder models designed for them.

This is the cinematic I was referring to, which is more in line with armor representation in Warcraft 1 and 2 as well:

This cinematic represents for me the Warcraft "medieval" atmosphere that I'm talking about to recapture as far as armor is concerned.

They managed to do it pretty well with Trial of the Crusader armor, but that was about it, unless you count older gear like Imperial Plate Set and whatever.

As far as cloth and leather wearers are concerned though they've just gone over the top into acid trip land, I mean I don't even understand how some of those sets hold themselves together.
    Last edited by KorbenDallasMultipass; 2013-06-18 at 07:16 PM.

Yeah I agree with Anarchor, although I think WoW looks better than what people play on their phones, at least at max settings, the only problem is the outdated models really, but even that's gonna get updated next expansion, I think.

And yeah what's up with NW graphics hate? I'm not saying it's a better MMO or anything, I just think as far as art style that's where WoW should head (back) to for the future (a.k.a. Back To The Future...lol...eh).

This is not a midievil game. It is fantasy. I like the exaggerated with spell effects look much more than western medieval.
    Spike Flail - US Mal'Ganis | Currently 11/11 M | Art by ElyPop