Page 1 of 6
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1

    Anyone still use mind spike?

    Ever since I switched from divine insight to power infusion I don't seem to use it at all.

  2. #2
    My Mind Spike used to be bound to 'V' key on my keyboard. It has since been replaced with Push-To-Talk Teamspeak

  3. #3
    Still bound to C even if it gets very little use, if at all. Bit curious how the change to 20% proc chance will play out but remains to be seen.

  4. #4
    Herald of the Titans Keosen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sin City
    Posts
    2,894
    It's a clearly inferior spell and there is no reason to use it on any of the current tier encounters so, no.
    Use to have it bound on mouse 4 the entire previous tier where it was really strong combined with the glyph, just keeping in on the bars for a rare case where i need to clear my dots.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Keosen View Post
    It's a clearly inferior spell and there is no reason to use it on any of the current tier encounters so, no.
    .
    This isn't entirely true FDCL performs very well on council and primordius if your job is to clear add waves.

  6. #6
    Herald of the Titans Keosen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sin City
    Posts
    2,894
    In both fights S&I is better by far.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by koss View Post
    This isn't entirely true FDCL performs very well on council and primordius if your job is to clear add waves.
    fdcl really isn't that great for council in my opinion... even if it does slightly more damage overall in some cases (and even then the difference is extremely small with high haste), it does less and less dps as you progress through the fight. if the damage from FDCL was distributed the other way around, where it helped you 'seal the deal' so to speak, i'd find it more attractive.

    if all you're interested in is blood damage on primordius, you may as well just go mindbender so you don't have to cast as many VT's. especially with a few mutated buffs, a SWP ends up doing *way* more damage than a mindspike, and can be cast on the move.

    also, the proc rate change is really not going to fix much. FDCL scales terribly with haste, and t16 bonuses are giving benefits to mastery damage, which mindspike gets no benefit from.
    Last edited by snaxattax; 2013-06-20 at 04:10 PM.

  8. #8
    Dreadlord veiledy0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Banjaluka
    Posts
    959
    Quote Originally Posted by snaxattax View Post
    also, the proc rate change is really not going to fix much. FDCL scales terribly with haste, and t16 bonuses are giving benefits to mastery damage, which mindspike gets no benefit from.
    FDCL does gain from mastery as a talent. More mastery = more ticks = more procs. The Mind Spike itself is what doesn't scale with it at all.
    When you cried I'd wipe away all of your tears
    When you'd scream I'd fight away all of your fears
    And I held your hand through all of these years

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by veiledy0 View Post
    FDCL does gain from mastery as a talent. More mastery = more ticks = more procs. The Mind Spike itself is what doesn't scale with it at all.
    Didn't know the Shadow Recall additional damage effect counted as a 'proc' for anything that triggered off of them (FDCL, trinkets and enchants, etc.) - are we sure on this? Pretty sure additional ticks in the common sense (sequentially) are haste-based only, mastery would only help 'double tick', so to speak.
    Last edited by Voidsinger; 2013-06-20 at 04:44 PM.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by koss View Post
    This isn't entirely true FDCL performs very well on council and primordius if your job is to clear add waves.
    With a good strategy you don't get any sandstorms on Council, and Primordius can just be tank and spanked down since they nerfed the damage debuff.

  11. #11
    Moderator Yvaelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    5,456
    Quote Originally Posted by Voidsinger View Post
    Didn't know the Shadow Recall additional damage effect counted as a 'proc' for anything that triggered off of them (FDCL, trinkets and enchants, etc.) - are we sure on this? Pretty sure additional ticks in the common sense (sequentially) are haste-based only, mastery would only help 'double tick', so to speak.
    Yep, mastery ticks can proc things like FDCL, DI and trinkets
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by veiledy0 View Post
    FDCL does gain from mastery as a talent. More mastery = more ticks = more procs. The Mind Spike itself is what doesn't scale with it at all.
    it benefits from mastery ticks, but not from mastery damage. t16 only improves the damage of mastery tick crits, which are irrelevant to FDCL/mindspike. if the other set bonus either didn't have charges, or if mindspike damage gets buffed incredibly (or the cap on procs gets raised so that we can actually use FDCL during mobility) then maybe it will be worth using, but i doubt it. as we push more and more ticks of mindflay into one gcd, mindspike becomes less and less attractive outside of a very minor increase in mobility dps.
    Last edited by snaxattax; 2013-06-20 at 05:44 PM.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Yvaelle View Post
    Yep, mastery ticks can proc things like FDCL, DI and trinkets
    Awesome, thanks for the clarification!

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarazet View Post
    With a good strategy you don't get any sandstorms on Council, and Primordius can just be tank and spanked down since they nerfed the damage debuff.
    I should have specified earlier, heroic council and heroic primordius I also raid 25s and am 13/13 the reason FDCL is an attractive talent on council is due to multiple priority targets spawning from Marli either the twisted fates or loa spirits, as for primo my job is to clear an entire 180 degree arc in primos room once everything is dotted just spam spikes into black adds with a few others of course. If your job is not to clear waves on primo then S&I is by far the better talent. When it really comes down to it the only reason FDCL isn't an attractive talent on most fights is because it just doesn't scale as well as S&I with stats until you hit a mutli target fight with realativly low hp priority targets then it shines.

  15. #15
    FDCL is very strong on that fight anyway due to the lack of GCDs for optimal MF:I channeling (since there's so many being spent on the more important dot refreshing). Being able to fill the gcds that aren't spent refreshing dots with FDCL procs rather than normal mind flay works out well. MF:I is competitive, but a number of the top ranks have also used FDCL instead because MF:I is a bit weaker here.

  16. #16
    The Patient Ramaloce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Friend Safari
    Posts
    209
    I do! I use it when I get procs (yes I use FDCL), but as for actully hard cating it is very rare for me.
    I Hard cast it when one of the following requirements are met:
    -I'm locked out of shadow, don't need to heal myself and plauge is not rolling on the target.
    -I need to clear dots on a DK that just used lichborn so I can shackle him.
    -Target is immune to mindflay (Warlock gate for example)

    That's about all the reasons I hard cast it, still has some use for me at least.

  17. #17
    I still use MSpike on H Lei Shen. A lot of big movement required making getting best / optimal use of MFI quite difficult, at least to me.

  18. #18
    Dreadlord veiledy0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Banjaluka
    Posts
    959
    Quote Originally Posted by Qualia View Post
    I still use MSpike on H Lei Shen. A lot of big movement required making getting best / optimal use of MFI quite difficult, at least to me.
    Despite the movement, Insanity is still by far superior on H Lei Shen. The only part of the fight where you can't make full use of SW:I is p3, when you need to bait Thunderstruck, anyways.
    When you cried I'd wipe away all of your tears
    When you'd scream I'd fight away all of your fears
    And I held your hand through all of these years

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Mctriple View Post
    FDCL is very strong on that fight anyway due to the lack of GCDs for optimal MF:I channeling (since there's so many being spent on the more important dot refreshing). Being able to fill the gcds that aren't spent refreshing dots with FDCL procs rather than normal mind flay works out well. MF:I is competitive, but a number of the top ranks have also used FDCL instead because MF:I is a bit weaker here.
    the only time casting dots does more dpct than insanity is during UVLS procs. especially in a fight like council where you end up losing lots of apparition damage and dot extensions due to erratic boss movement, and you generally have one particular target you need to be burning, insanity is at least as good as FDCL. in non-ideal cases, insanity is much much better if you end up with dead dps later in the fight (where you have fewer targets to get FDCL procs from).

  20. #20
    i bet the buff to the proc chance of FDCL is a fruitless attempt at making the talent more viable for ST fights and supposedly fixing our movement dps. If they are 100% sure of this change, I'm also expecting a bender buff as well, so that it doesn't stay behind.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •