Maximizing Focus Fire

I was recently watching a stream of a 13/13H Hunter who seemed to be delaying focus fire after 5 stacks for what seemed like too long to me, I was under the impression that you always wanted to pop it at 5 stacks outside of Beastial Wrath or right after a Kill Command if it's almost off cooldown. I'm just curious which one of us is "doing it wrong" because I feel like a dope now lol. *awaits kennyloggins to bestow his wisdom upon me*

Can you please link the stream and the hunter in question. If not can you please explain the context?

Signature by Geekissexy Check out her Deviantart

I tend to delay it if I have 10 or less seconds left on the Bestial Wrath CD and use it immediately after BW fades

If it affects rppm, it should probably be used every time it hits 5 stacks.

Just shooting at the dark here.
    "Why do all supposed 'centrists' just sound like right wingers?"

"Also, can I just say that I think AOC would absolutely fucking annihilate Greene if Greene ever dared take an actual swing at her?" -- The state of the MMO-C circlejerk.

There are times when you may want to delay it but since the information you gave us is so little we can't help you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dald View Post
    I tend to delay it if I have 10 or less seconds left on the Bestial Wrath CD and use it immediately after BW fades.
    I use it either at 5 stacks or at 4 if BW is coming off cooldown in 5-10 seconds. For anyone who plays an Ele Shaman think of it the same way as you would handle Fulmination stacks. The reason I do that is so I don't waste any possible Frenzy procs. If you get to 5 stacks 10 seconds before BW then hold 5 stacks for 20 seconds that is 6 opportunities for a Frenzy stack you just missed out on.
    Last edited by Glurp; 2013-06-19 at 02:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Glurp View Post
    There are times when you may want to delay it but since the information you gave us is so little we can't help you.

I use it either at 5 stacks or at 4 if BW is coming off cooldown in 5-10 seconds. For anyone who plays an Ele Shaman think of it the same way as you would handle Fulmination stacks. The reason I do that is so I don't waste any possible Frenzy procs. If you get to 5 stacks 10 seconds before BW then hold 5 stacks for 20 seconds that is 6 opportunities for a Frenzy stack you just missed out on.
    unlike shamans frenzy doing frenzy like this it lower your dps, without counting PPM trinkets (idk if is better to pop it on cd or no).

if i see 30 sec on bw i just dont use it at all because thats about what it takes to build up. as son as i lose BW i pop it and sometimes pop it at 30 sec mark before the next bw if everything goes well sometimes pet just bug out and dont give u a stack or get parried blocked.

Quote Originally Posted by Perrito View Post
    if i see 30 sec on bw i just dont use it at all because thats about what it takes to build up. as son as i lose BW i pop it and sometimes pop it at 30 sec mark before the next bw if everything goes well sometimes pet just bug out and dont give u a stack or get parried blocked.
    30 seconds is way too long to delay it. It used to be 20 seconds or less delay it but now I would no way leave it 30 seconds. The only way that would be a dps increase is if you got no stacks of frenzy in those 30 seconds which almost never happens. I usually use it unless there's less than 10 seconds on the BW coodldown

Focus fire is an odd one. I was doing some farm content last night on Iron Quon, clearing it up. I always use Focus fire if BW is not up or after BW as it suggested. Was with another hunter that is 6 item levels above me. He does have around 1.5K more haste than me and I noticed that his pet did over 200 more melee attacks than me, and obviously more auto shots. Whether the big difference in DPS at the end - around 6-7K was purely gear, haste related or what but 200 extra melee attacks from his pet is huge. I've checked his other logs, he does use Focus fire, not often and not necessarily correctly but it annoys me that despite squeezing more shots into my rotation, more arcanes etc.... the passive auto attacks from him and his pet boost his dps so much. Is this just a gear thing or what?

Quote Originally Posted by Windthorn View Post
    Focus fire is an odd one. I was doing some farm content last night on Iron Quon, clearing it up. I always use Focus fire if BW is not up or after BW as it suggested. Was with another hunter that is 6 item levels above me. He does have around 1.5K more haste than me and I noticed that his pet did over 200 more melee attacks than me, and obviously more auto shots. Whether the big difference in DPS at the end - around 6-7K was purely gear, haste related or what but 200 extra melee attacks from his pet is huge. I've checked his other logs, he does use Focus fire, not often and not necessarily correctly but it annoys me that despite squeezing more shots into my rotation, more arcanes etc.... the passive auto attacks from him and his pet boost his dps so much. Is this just a gear thing or what?
    If he is using the Glyph for Stampede(Clones), all his pets summon pets will be named the same, thus their damage will be added together in Logs. Resulting in showing more Auto Attacks done than your pet. **Again, assuming he is using the glyph while you're not.**

Quote Originally Posted by Perrito View Post
    unlike shamans frenzy doing frenzy like this it lower your dps, without counting PPM trinkets (idk if is better to pop it on cd or no).

The keywords here are "without counting PPM trinkets". It's much better to not waste any possible Frenzy stacks, popping it before BW isn't a huge issue now as it also increases your chance for RPPM procs during BW.

Quote Originally Posted by Amethon View Post
    30 seconds is way too long to delay it. It used to be 20 seconds or less delay it but now I would no way leave it 30 seconds. The only way that would be a dps increase is if you got no stacks of frenzy in those 30 seconds which almost never happens. I usually use it unless there's less than 10 seconds on the BW coodldown
    it takes 18 sec on a perfect scenario to get 5 stacks, this never happen, heck i been sometimes stuck 1st 40 sec of a fight and not a single stack, pets are odd.

btw you want to be at 5 stacks as soon as you use BW not to stack while BW.

---------- Post added 2013-06-19 at 10:33 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Glurp View Post
    The keywords here are "without counting PPM trinkets". It's much better to not waste any possible Frenzy stacks, popping it before BW isn't a huge issue now as it also increases your chance for RPPM procs during BW.
    hunters and shamans work in a diferent way, frenzy need to be @ 5 stacks when you use BW. you dont want to consume those while BW is up and you will lose stacks if you do it right.

you want your pet to do as many attacks as posible while is doing 20% extra damage.

question is, is worth it to make your trinkets proc as much as you can and use wisely your Frenzy stacks even while on BW?.

Frenzy increase pet attack speed not damage

@OP need more context