Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    I find it hard to be scared these days, I'd probably say something like Martyrs due to it being a bit of a mindfuck. Films like Paranormal Activity always promise but never deliver. Blair Witch Project was only scary at the very end, plus the fact a weird man was staring through our window at the time (long story).

Give me E.T. (the original puppet, not that CGI crap) or Ghost Chase (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093201/) now they are scary films.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zenyatta View Post
    Ugh, thank you. A film about guys rattling things off camera while people on camera pretended to be scared. Whoo hoo. Honestly the scariest horror flick I've seen is the original Haunting. Even for being black and white, and very dated, this clip is why it scared me;

About 2min 45sec, the door, solid wood, starts bending out like its rubber. Ugh, and the scene where she feels someone squeezing her hand trying to break it. This movies still freaks me out.
    Haunting is my all-time favorite of the genre

I've heard that Sinister is one of the most scary movies that have been released lately. But I haven't seen it yet.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm wondering how does paranormal activity 3 even make your list even at number 1. I mean its not even that scary.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by xrayEU View Post
    I've heard that Sinister is one of the most scary movies that have been released lately. But I haven't seen it yet.
    It's pretty good. Makes you jump alot.

Herald of the Titans Feral Camel's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've got to go with 28 days later. It was a different kind of scary for me.

I think Danny Boyle managed to create a believable outbreak with human characters. My mum gave me a copy of it for my birthday when it just came out. Couldn't bring myself to watch it for months.

1. 28 Days Later
    2. [REC] 1
    3. Can't come up with much that stands out as much as my top 2..

---------- Post added 2013-06-28 at 04:02 AM ----------

It's not super scary, but it's really worth the watch! Watch it with a good soundsystem or with headphones on. The audio carries an important aspect.

the strangers was terrifying.

Paranormal Activity 1 was actually really great.

Not so much for just being scary (I'm not easy to scare) as it was just well thought out....never actually seeing what was terrorizing the people on the screen was genius.

2-4 were terrible though; that formula just doesn't work once it's repeated.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by The Ogdru Jahad View Post
    the strangers was terrifying.
    The ending was so realistic is sketched me out like fuck.

The Road, but I'm not sure it should be called a scary movie, but it gave me a very apocalyptic feeling and there are a few "scary" moments for sure. 28 days later wasn't bad either. Let the Right One In is a really great movie to but I'm not sure it should be called a scary movie?

Last edited by Jackmoves; 2013-06-29 at 06:49 PM.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

Scary movies exist in the 21st century?

I know, I know, bad joke. But really, I can't say I've found any "scary" movie to be "scary."

Scary movies just seem bad. I don't know if it's because I'm older, or they actually are bad, maybe even both. It's especially sad when the only "scary" parts of a movie are jump scares, being cheap immitations of horror to trick the audience into thinking that the movie is actually scary. It's pathetic, and something that far too many movies try to do.

Don't even get me started on the stupid, real-camera movie bullshit they try to do. Blair Witch Project was fucking awful, every second of it. The fact that some people actually say movies like that, or Paranormal Activity are good, makes me lose all faith in the scary movie genre.
    I AM the world's first Shadow Mage.

Quote Originally Posted by Zonas View Post
    Scary movies exist in the 21st century?

I know, I know, bad joke. But really, I can't say I've found any "scary" movie to be "scary."

Scary movies just seem bad. I don't know if it's because I'm older, or they actually are bad, maybe even both. It's especially sad when the only "scary" parts of a movie are jump scares, being cheap immitations of horror to trick the audience into thinking that the movie is actually scary. It's pathetic, and something that far too many movies try to do.

Don't even get me started on the stupid, real-camera movie bullshit they try to do. Blair Witch Project was fucking awful, every second of it. The fact that some people actually say movies like that, or Paranormal Activity are good, makes me lose all faith in the scary movie genre.
    So, what was the last scary movie that you saw, that was actually scary?

Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    So, what was the last scary movie that you saw, that was actually scary?
    Ugh... I can't even remember. Had to of been when I was itty-bitty.

I've been unnerved some times years back, depending on the scene. Hell, I'll admit that I utterly hated anything with a hint of horror back when I was a kid, just couldn't handle it. I grew out of it quick though, now it's just a meh point to me. So, maybe it's just a personal thing, but modern "scary" movies aren't scary, more like painfully un-scary.
    I AM the world's first Shadow Mage.

Deleted
    An english horror flick I saw the other day : F.

Yes it's called "F", and it fucking scared the shit out of me.
    About this hoodie gang who attack a school at night. (They're like Nazgulls, you never see their faces, which gave a bit of a Jaws vibe to it, in that your imagination takes over, especially when you tack on the way its shot and the way the hoodies move. Creepy doesn't even begin to describe it.)

Coraline.

You didn't say scariest, you said my favorite. Not a fan of over the top gorey horror flicks. Coraline has a nice subtlety to it.

Last edited by Powerogue; 2013-06-30 at 09:50 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sinister

Yes, it is in my opinion very good. Has been awhile since I seen a decent horror movie like that.

Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post
    Great movie, we need more si-fi horror movies, really like the setting. Event Horizon is one of the best ive seen.
    I really liked Event Horizon too. Forgot about that one. Other ones that I found creepy were The Ring, and one most people here have probably never heard of.....The Legend of Hell House. Old British movie from the 70's; saw it as a kid and still remember how terrified I was.

Identity (2003)

for 20th century...

Sixth Sense (1999)

I guess:

Paranormal activity
    The Ring (I actually prefer the American version)
    REC (Spanish and American are both excellent)

As usual with horror movies, all the sequels of the above are awful (especially REC2 - the Spanish version was just silly and the American version was a no-budget waste of time that was totally unrelated to the original apart from having zombies in it).

Quote Originally Posted by TheNationGamer View Post
    1. Paranormal Activity 3
    What the... obviously the first is superior!

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    Oh Cabin in the Woods and Grindhouse were awesome; I don't think they really fit the genre, but since people have mentioned them here I will give them another thumbs up.
    Cabin in the Woods was a lot of fun, I felt Death Proof was a lot stronger than Planet Terror but yeah Grindhouse was great.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.