CPU overheating suddenly?

So, basically, I started my computer and launched a game, and noticed there was stuttering (regardless of what graphics settings/addons I had enabled), so I went to download new drivers for my graphics card.

This didn't help, but rather gave me a bluescreen after I tried to launch it again (not instantly, I did get into the game and all colors etc were fine, but the stuttering was still there and after a while it crashed).

I then took up Speccy to see if anything was wrong that Speccy could see, and I saw that my CPU was at 89 degrees (and this was after restarting the computer, although that only takes about a minute).

As I'm decent, but not great, with computer hardware, could anyone help me figure out what may have caused this?

EDIT: I forgot to mention, I cleaned the computer today, which included an attempt at removing the CPU, which didn't come off easily so I gave up as I didn't want to ruin it. Did this, ironically, mess it up somehow? Maybe I need to apply new thermal paste?
    Last edited by Segus1992; 2013-06-19 at 09:22 AM.

Deleted
    I'm not eagle with this sort of stuff either but could it be lack of cooling paste? Cause if your GFX suddenly start to overheat and you already updated drivers, that might be a place to look.

10+ Year Old Account
    Reseat your heat sink, if you attempted to remove it and then gave up and didn't reseat it you almost certainly have air bubbles in there meaning your fan is doing sweet FA. Specs (cpu and heatsink mainly and we can give you a hand on how to reseat).
    Personal rig:
    • i5-3570k (4.2ghz) || CM hyper 212 evo || Asrock extreme 4 || Corsair (2 x 4gb 1600mhz) ram
    • Samsung 840 (120gb) || WD blue 1tb || WD green 1tb
    • Powercolor 7870xt || Silverstone strider 500w ||NZXT source 210

Quote Originally Posted by slasher0161 View Post
    Reseat your heat sink, if you attempted to remove it and then gave up and didn't reseat it you almost certainly have air bubbles in there meaning your fan is doing sweet FA. Specs (cpu and heatsink mainly and we can give you a hand on how to reseat).
    I realised this myself, and managed to get it back properly. Working fine now, thanks!