Deleted

Can a bad but sufficient PSU affect performance?

I have a 550watt PSU on which I hooked an SSD, a HDD, i5 3470 and my AMD 7950.
    It all works, but I've often wondered, since this should be near the load capacity, does it negatively impact my performance?

I can run WoW all settings full in calm areas no problem, but when I gaze into the distance, especially in Pandaland, Even with graphic settings which I am content and not nearly heavy loading in comparison to maxed, I still drop to 55fps, which bugs me like mad.

Deleted
    Your system at ~90% will probably not pull more than like 300W max. 550W PSU is more than fine. 55fps sounds perfectly fine, ~5fps from max is hardly noticeable.

Deleted
    It shouldn't affect performance. If your PSU struggles most often it results in blue screens, freezes or other "weird" behavior while under heavy load. But your CPU or GPU won't clock down because they don't get enough voltage.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    Your system at ~90% will probably not pull more than like 300W max. 550W PSU is more than fine. 55fps sounds perfectly fine, ~5fps from max is hardly noticeable.
    Thanks, but those 5fps rub me the wrong way... It's so damn noticeable if you're used to 60fps, I can understand it happens when raiding, but going in a dungeon getting 60fps then teleporting out to 55fps irks me. :P

---------- Post added 2013-06-19 at 12:57 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Tintenkiller View Post
    It shouldn't affect performance. If your PSU struggles most often it results in blue screens, freezes or other "weird" behavior while under heavy load. But your CPU or GPU won't clock down because they don't get enough voltage.
    Thanks, I have nothing to worry about then.

Quote Originally Posted by Insarius View Post
    No, bad or insufficient PSU will only affect system stability, never performance.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    why do you think it's the PSU that's causing you to "lose" 5 fps?

Use Vertical Sync. Doesn't matter how high your FPS will go then, as it will be synced with your refresh rate, providing smoother gameplay visually. This is more noticeable the larger the screen. FPS isnt everthing. A image needs to be fluid. It is much more noticeable when it is not, causing portions of the screen to refresh at different rates. Your goal should be to aim for a fluid experience, not max frame rate.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    No, bad or insufficient PSU will only affect system stability, never performance.
    it can cause issues in multi card setups, on mine there is a night and day difference in smoothness between when i have the auxiliary 6pin connector plugged in and when i don't, and it also affects benchmark scores, but thats not exactly standard on most motherboards

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tankendog View Post
    Use Vertical Sync. Doesn't matter how high your FPS will go then, as it will be synced with your refresh rate, providing smoother gameplay visually. This is more noticeable the larger the screen. FPS isnt everthing. A image needs to be fluid. It is much more noticeable when it is not, causing portions of the screen to refresh at different rates. Your goal should be to aim for a fluid experience, not max frame rate.
    I am, without it I easily reach 250fps on calm area's, it's just that Pandaria area's when I'm outside drop me slightly below.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    it can cause issues in multi card setups, on mine there is a night and day difference in smoothness between when i have the auxiliary 6pin connector plugged in and when i don't, and it also affects benchmark scores, but thats not exactly standard on most motherboards
    Why would you even use the 6 pin? weren't the need for those ports requiring the extra power replaced by PCI?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesta View Post
    Why would you even use the 6 pin? weren't the need for those ports requiring the extra power replaced by PCI?
    the 6 pin is auxiliary power for the PCI lanes

Deleted
    right.. didn't even think of that /facepalm

Hmm... TTL said recently he's never needed those, even when doing stuff like benchmarking quad-CF with 7970's.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm... TTL said recently he's never needed those, even when doing stuff like benchmarking quad-CF with 7970's.
    yeah, i remember that video, so i unplugged it when i switched to the FT02, and then couldn't figure out where i gained all this stuttering and minor drop in performance, i thought i had seated one of my cards wrong, i spent a few hours troubleshooting it, and finally plugged the 6 pin back in and instantly my stuttering was gone again

so, TTL was wrong on that, and good clean power can make a performance difference, but thats at the top end, i highly doubt its going to do anything on a standard single gpu setup

Or you have crappier mobo. Or it's different with quad SLI/older cards. Or he got lucky.

Anyway, I'd call that stability problem if some of your cards dont work, not actual performance loss in the way OP asked.
    Last edited by vesseblah; 2013-06-19 at 07:35 PM.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Or you have crappier mobo. Or it's different with quad SLI/older cards. Or he got lucky.

Anyway, I'd call that stability problem if some of your cards dont work, not actual performance loss in the way OP asked.
    i also had similar problems with 590s and single braided extensions, different board, different cards, but similar issue, unclean power does affect performance

also, iirc, TTL was also using a R4E for the 7970 quadfire test, there isn't a better board for x79 atm

According to linus, the extra 6pin is to prevent the 24pin being burned out. He says it somewhere in this video It's mostly recommended to use it for Quad sli setups.