Poll: Should abortion be a human right?

Page 60 of 60 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mannheim View Post
    Just because you want to fuck her and make her pregnant it is not your right to decide nor to attack someone for their choices when it's legal. People like you are a danger to women. Luckily enoug she lives in Sweden where abortion isn't shunned nor do they have people trying to sabotage the access to it.
    Shame is the tool of those without reason or logic.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

I'm not entirely certain it should be a right, but I don't think it should be illegal, at least federally (I'm not sure about states or not; I do think the states should have more power to govern themselves, but that is neither here nor there). I'm not a fan of deciding laws based on some subjective notion of 'morality' rather than social and economic stability. Your morals aren't my morals, aren't the morals of someone down the street. To try to legislate morality is incomprehensibly ignorant. Regardless of how strong are your convictions, they are your convictions and you shouldn't be forcing them on others; that's the height of hubris.

Since it's largely Christians who are in the Pro-Life crowd, consider that what you're advocating is essentially the same as if God denied us free will and the ability to make our own bad choices; if we are to be like God, then shouldn't we likewise allow our brethren to make their own bad choices? This same argument could be applied to "gay marriage".

Quote Originally Posted by Granilith View Post
    don't have sex if you and your sexual partner can't handle if a pregnancy occurs. period. contraception does not guarantee anything. sex =/= food or water.
    If that is the way you want to live your life more power to you. I however do not want children and will have an abortion if I get pregnant. I refuse to stop having sex with my husband because we do not want children and to think all people who do not want children should do the same is illogical and will never happen.

---------- Post added 2013-06-29 at 04:50 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Symphonic View Post
    I love how people justify things. "Not human 'enough' to warrant not aborting it" "a fetus isn't human" or my favorite saying that a 'fetus', because it depends on its mother means it is okay to terminate it at will. Doesn't it mean anything to you that when a child is concieved, the mother's own body develops a placenta so that the new cells in her body don't get attacked? It's protecting the baby, and people want to be able to kill it anyway.

I know people think you shouldn't appeal to the emotions, but isn't sex an emotion? Wouldn't any result of that be emotional? Abortion requires a lot of dialogue and internal/external communicating, deep thought, and in my opinion should not happen except certain instances (and even then, requires a lot of thought) that I have detailed earlier in this discussion.

Why does abortion always require deep thought? I know I don,t want childen and either does my husband. If I was to get pregnant there would be no need for deep thought and communication. I would have and abortion and my husband and I both would be 100% ok with it. It would not be an emotional decision other than what caused my iud to fail and how to get a dr. to tie my tubes.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingWoodchuck View Post
    http://www.who.int/features/qa/12/en/

And here is one for unsafe abortions (ones done in secret because it is illegal or for other reasons):
    http://www.who.int/reproductivehealt.../en/index.html
    In response to link 1, that is .005 of the total childbirths in the world each year. It would take 1 day of successful pregnancies to equal the amount of unsuccessful ones each year. Chances are you aren't going to be one with complications but you can also take into account that we don't live in a 3rd world country where many of these deaths during pregnancy occur.

---------- Post added 2013-06-30 at 02:41 PM ----------

If you ran over a dog on the way home from work you would probably feel emotion, but you cant come up with any for the death of your unborn child. We live in a modern day Sodom and Gomorrah.

---------- Post added 2013-06-30 at 02:43 PM ----------

Why do we have laws against murder then? Some people might think it's ok. Bad argument.

---------- Post added 2013-06-30 at 02:46 PM ----------

Shouldn't have sex if you aren't prepared to deal with the consequences. Kinda like not gambling with money you need to pay your bills. We make choices based on our situations.

Quote Originally Posted by fanjodaman View Post
    Shouldn't have sex if you aren't prepared to deal with the consequences. Kinda like not gambling with money you need to pay your bills. We make choices based on our situations.
    Having an abortion is dealing with the consequences of an unplanned pregnancy. You may not like it or want it to happen but it is dealing with it.

Deleted
    If you ran over a dog on the way home from work you would probably feel emotion, but you cant come up with any for the death of your unborn child. We live in a modern day Sodom and Gomorrah.
    You really have no clue just how bad it is, emotionally, to go through an abortion it seems.

Abortion is dealing with it.

If you ran over a dog on the way home from work you would probably feel emotion, but you cant come up with any for the death of your unborn child. We live in a modern day Sodom and Gomorrah.[COLOR="red"]
    I will assume you are talking about the the people being selfish in relation to Sodom and Gomorra. I fully believe that having an abortion when a child is not wanted is the most unselfish thing someone could do. I would never harm a child. I do not believe in hitting, depriving, being mean, etc towards children. I also do not want a child. I would not enjoy having one. I will not risk bring a child into the world I do not want. If you want to think that is selfish that is fine. I think of it as being a responsible adult. There are far too many parents out there who have children and regret it. I will not be one of them.

---------- Post added 2013-06-30 at 05:16 PM ----------

Your one purpose in life should be to start a family and take care of that family. If it happens sooner than you would like, it's still your responsibility.
    I started a family. At 15 I started dating, at 18 we got engaged and at 22 we got married. The two of us are a family and we take care of each other. I have also spent from age 18 until last August as a care giver to my grandmother so that she could remain in her home as long as possible and then ensure she got the care she needed when she moved into a nursing home a year before her death. She died last August at the age of 93. I also just spent several months helping my parents rehab a house they just bought. I help my family all the time and they help me. A family does not mean someone has to have children.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostlore View Post
    my own personal belief is Pro-Choice, but I do think that it is up to the woman. No person or government should have the ability to control what we do with our bodies.
    For sure. I can't ever promote someone telling what you can or can't do with your body. This also includes drugs, unhealthy foods, etc.

As long as the child cannot live outside the mother's womb (this is becoming a blurry line as medicine improves), then the mother should have full control over what happens to it. At that point it's a part of the woman still. Now at 8 months 15 days, I can't imagine doing an abortion because it's got a functioning brain and fingernails and stuff. It's a person at that point.

If you haven't seen the documentary Freakonomics, there is a great section there about abortion.