Protection Warriors - are you missing a reliable self heal?

My warrior is my main and 99% of the time I just dps. I find the thing that stops me from tanking more often is protections lack of any real viable self heal option, compared to the other tanking options particularly. I've tanked casually on everything at max. level in the last 12-18 months (besides guardian druid which is stuck on 81), and everytime I respec to prot for some tanking time I find myself missing the self heal that seems available to everyone else. Looks like blizz may be experimenting with something with the 15 set bonus and hopefully they make something similar standard. Like every class we have the 'self heal' tier to choose from, but unlike other classes we don't seem to have additional options on top of that.

What do other people think? Do prot warriors lack a decent self heal option? Would something like that make warrior tanking a more attractive proposition for you?

Warrior tank has massive survivability. Pair this with Second Wind and you can solo level 90 5-mans. I don't see the problem.

Deleted
    I would much rather have higher total damage reduction than having self heals to make up for more damage taken

If you want to do a lot of self healing I would suggest a paladin or a DK. The warrior class is meant to shrug off damage, not heal it:P

Quote Originally Posted by eddytheone View Post
    I would much rather have higher total damage reduction than having self heals to make up for more damage taken
    I'm not sure that there's a huge difference in total damage reduction across all tank options, it's just others have some ways to bring their health back up.

I like second wind, don't get me wrong, but it seems most useful on either content that you out gear or where damage is relatively low. I'd say I'm like most people though, I take it because the other two options are not that appealing. Hovering at or below 35% hp, where second wind comes in to play, is a little unnerving also

Tier 15 Protection 2-set grants a nice amount of self-healing by triggering Victory Rush/Impending Victory from Shield Slam and Devastate. Combine that with Enraged Regen and you can heal yourself for about 40% of your max health in 1-2 globals (can't remember if ER is off the GCD or not).

The 5.4 PTR change to Victory Rush/Impending Victory looks to make T15 2-set a bit pointless to have but meh.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trubo View Post
    Tier 15 Protection 2-set grants a nice amount of self-healing by triggering Victory Rush/Impending Victory from Shield Slam and Devastate. Combine that with Enraged Regen and you can heal yourself for about 40% of your max health in 1-2 globals (can't remember if ER is off the GCD or not).

The 5.4 PTR change to Victory Rush/Impending Victory looks to make T15 2-set a bit pointless to have but meh.

Why exactly does the 5.4 changes make impending victory Pointless? Aside from shortly buffing it to 30% and nerfing it again to the current 20% nothing has changed, has it?

OT: Indeed I think we lack some selfheal. That, or another strong damage reduction ability. With the T15 2p Bonus im quite satisfied, but T15 will pass and the T16 bonus is passiv. I´d wish for T15 2p becoming baseline, but I guess that are dreams in vain^^
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I've done nothing wrong. I'm not the one with the problem its everyone else that has a problem with me.
    Quote Originally Posted by MilesMcStyles View Post
    I don't care that other people don't play the content that I enjoy.

I could stick with our silly self heal we got now as Eddy said, we are not there to heal but to reduce damage. Something which people forget because of insane healing from Paladin/Monk and thinks that tanks should do DPS and HPS. Would like to see something to make up for their HPS tho, something that makes us worth taking beside massively reduced damage taken (as we don't heal raid).

Quote Originally Posted by Valech View Post
    Why exactly does the 5.4 changes make impending victory Pointless? Aside from shortly buffing it to 30% and nerfing it again to the current 20% nothing has changed, has it?

OT: Indeed I think we lack some selfheal. That, or another strong damage reduction ability. With the T15 2p Bonus im quite satisfied, but T15 will pass and the T16 bonus is passiv. I´d wish for T15 2p becoming baseline, but I guess that are dreams in vain^^
    Said it was pointless because I misread that Impending Victory still being a talent (thought it was going baseline). I'd probably go with Heroic T15 2-set + any version of T16 2-set (while using ER talented of course)when SoO gets released.

Deleted
    I die to Galleon during shieldwall while trying to solo him and a monk just laughs and uses expel harm, chi wave + guard along his active mitigation. Yeah, we probably could need some more self heal or at least on a shorter cooldown. One minute on enrage regen is almost as bad as two minutes on a healthstone and without 2 piece t15 i feel somewhat lost to be honest. Looking forward to 2 piece t16 and see how that feels

Are there any numbers on tanks and damage taken? Like dps sims but for damage taken type things? People say things like warriors warriors take massively reduced amounts of damage but I don't really see it being that massive?
    Last edited by Reinholder; 2013-06-21 at 02:10 AM.

Deleted
    Just go digging through some world of logs tbh mate

Quote Originally Posted by eddytheone View Post
    Just go digging through some world of logs tbh mate
    Not sure how to compare tbh. I was hoping someone, somewhere, smarter than me, had done some maths :P Or that there was a simcraft for tanks style thing.

Looking at a few samples comparing prot warriors and prot paladins as examples, it does appear that warriors may take less damage but that's outweighed by the amount of healing that prot paladins are doing. So as an example comparing a prot warriors log against a prot paladin over the course of an 8:20 lei shen fight, the warrior takes 40k damage per second while the paladin takes 50k damage per second. The warrior heals for 3k per second while the paladin heals for 40k per second. This also puts aside that the paladin also seems capable of more dps. I only looked at a couple of examples so I know there's massive issues with it (gear, small sample etc etc), but it just seems like while prot warriors may take less damage, it's not a significant amount less to make up for the lack of self healing in a pinch.

I don't know how accurate it can be, but I think our self healing and overall survivability can be measured - to an extent - by our capability of soloing some older content. Not the irrelevant, zero-challenge content, but more recent things like cata stuff.

Also, maybe it's because I'm more used to the class, but my Paladin definitely feels more "comfortable" taking in regular raid damage, while my warrior feels better / more stable at mitigating the HUGE blows. But overall, it feels like my Pally's health is less rollercoaster-y than my Warrior's.

I'd like to see something like Ysera's gift for warriors. I mean, something that doesn't require me to linger at unnerving 35% health, like Shomari said.

Quote Originally Posted by sophos1 View Post
    Warrior tank has massive survivability. Pair this with Second Wind and you can solo level 90 5-mans. I don't see the problem.
    Who cares if you can solo 5 mans? None of them drop anything cool like a mount or a legendary, and the blues aren't anything special for transmog. So again I say, who cares?

I main Prot. Second wind is always there for you but in the times its not its best to pop Last stand then once that gets burst down pop rallying cry then if your still in the fight and taking lots of damage pop shield wall and/or Demoralizing Shout for the 20% damage reduction while second wind catches back up