Deleted

Dual display question

Hey there!

I have been scanning google and have not been able to find the right key words haha. I am trying to find out if it is possible to have a dual display setup in Windows 8 that are not extended, but act as separate work spaces. I could then use a hot key to swap between them. Is there a program/setting that could configure something like this for me? I am not even sure how practical something like this would actually play out, I am just wanting to experiment with it. I have found myself recently pondering this recently when I am doing work and I try to snap a window to the left side of one screen and it just pushes it to another, or when playing certain games and my mouse strays too far away and I can no longer click on the baddies. Thank you for taking the time to read this, have a nice day!

Dologalot

Deleted
    I've never heard of actually having two completely separate workspaces on the same system, one on each screen, requiring a hotkey or some kind of key combo to switch between one or the other. That doesn't mean to say it's not possible, but I've certainly never encountered anything like that.

Windows can be snapped to each screen either with standard Windows 8 settings or if not possible, you can use DisplayFusion to do various things for you too. Windows 8 multi monitor support is pretty good but I'm afraid I can't help you with regards to your specific requirement. Good luck

I don't think it is possible without any kind of software, why do you dont want extended?
    You can try display fusion, i think it will be able to do what you want
    My first build:
    Storage: Kingston SSD Now V200+ 120G and WD Caviar Blue HDD 500 G
    Processing Units: i5-3570k @ 3.8 Ghz cooled by 212 Evo and MSI Twin Frozr 3, R7850 @ 900, 1200
    Mobo, Ram, PSU Gigabyte Z77-D3H and G.Skill ripjaw 2x 4G with XFX 550w
    If I am unreadable, its not because I hate grammar, its because Im french-canadian

In win7 at least, if you press the windows key and an arrow key it will snap your active window to the edge of the screen depending on which direction key you push. There is also a program called mouse jail that will keep your mouse in one screen during full screen programs but I have never used it. Kind of a workaround for your issues if you can't figure something out.

Too tired of lag from swapping from in-game screen to the other, or something like that, since you want it?
    It should be possible with some external software i supose.

Go look for something like multiple desktops/Workspaces, or get linux with xmonad that has it as standard *swaps between 6 of the nine workspaces*
    Fairly sure it would be possible to have different desktops on diffrent screens there.

If you want to stick to windows, what i suggested to search for should help you.
    found one wanting the same, asking for programs to it:
    http://superuser.com/questions/98529...h-two-monitors

Obviously i haven't tested any of it, but you can take a look at it, if it still exist
    Everyone has so much to say
    They talk talk talk their lives away

Deleted
    Thank you for the replies, will play around with the suggestions. And cheers Afrospinach for the tip about the snapping, I did not know that and it is certainly nicer than what I have been doing which is just re-sizing the windows haha.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Terridon View Post
    Too tired of lag from swapping from in-game screen to the other, or something like that, since you want it?
    It should be possible with some external software i supose.
    You can get around that by setting the video mode to full screen windowed. Then you can drag your mouse to the other display with no lag.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vomitory View Post
    You can get around that by setting the video mode to full screen windowed. Then you can drag your mouse to the other display with no lag.
    nah, windows limits the processing power available to a program in the background (ie. not selected window)

Quote Originally Posted by Diesta View Post
    nah, windows limits the processing power available to a program in the background (ie. not selected window)
    Not entirely true, most games/3D apps have an option to limit FPS while in background, eg. WoW has this option and you SHOULD set it to like 10 FPS, however you can disable it so it runs as if it were the active window.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tehterokkar View Post
    Not entirely true, most games/3D apps have an option to limit FPS while in background, eg. WoW has this option and you SHOULD set it to like 10 FPS, however you can disable it so it runs as if it were the active window.
    That doesn't really matter when windows itself has a toggle to assign more processing power to foreground programs, rather than background programs (ie program that is not currently highlighted/in use)

Is it a silly question to ask why you would need WoW to run at full steam ahead while it is not the focused window? If you are not performing any input in the game, then why would a lower framerate be an issue?

---------- Post added 2013-06-21 at 02:52 PM ----------

To get the result I think the OP is looking for, he would need to either learn to Windows key+Arrow left/right or use a VM or another machine on the other monitor with a KVM for the mouse/keyboard.