Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifeanychukwu View Post
    Well there was obviously something else going on other than being held in a cell. He didn't receive his phone call, who knows what else he was denied. One of the people on Reddit said that whenever someone's being held awaiting to be booked they can often be forgotten.

---------- Post added 2013-06-20 at 02:04 PM ----------

So that justifies being held in jail for 5 days without a phone call? Especially when whatever happened to him while at the jail resulted in his death. The whole "lol should have complied with the officers" is bullshit given the circumstances. Maybe a ticket or something would have been reasonable, or being put in handcuffs and taken home since it sounds like he was underaged.
    You are purely speculating that he didn't get a phone call. He didn't call his parents and I hate to break it to you there are phones in the cell blocks that inmates can make collect calls from at any time. Stop making stupid assumptions and actually read the article the guy was 25.

I don't know... it's pretty weird their parents said: "We had no idea he was in jail, we didn’t receive a phone call or anything"... I mean, if a member of my family is missing just one night, I would go to every police station and hospital asking if they know something, I don't believe these people spent five days without caring to ask the police about their missing son.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Moinaldo View Post
    I don't know... it's pretty weird their parents said: "We had no idea he was in jail, we didn’t receive a phone call or anything"... I mean, if a member of my family is missing just one night, I would go to every police station and hospital asking if they know something, I don't believe these people spent five days without caring to ask the police about their missing son.
    if their son is the type to be able to take care of himself at that age and occasionally spend a day or two away from home at a friends house then im not surprised they didnt know he was in jail.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    if their son is the type to be able to take care of himself at that age and occasionally spend a day or two away from home at a friends house then im not surprised they didnt know he was in jail.
    Five days away without a call are not that """common""".

Quote Originally Posted by Eugenik View Post
    Omg elders and sidewalks and curbs?! What a nuisance.. I wouldnt sign a jay walking ticket.. pretty much similar bogus bi-laws designed to generate income.
    Yes, pedestrians walking in the road way is super safe for both drivers and pedestrians, and there should be no laws preventing them from doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    You don't get put in prison for this sort of thing. You might go to the county jail, which is nowhere near the conditions you're talking about. I don't even think they have solitary cells in county jails. This was a totally appropriate response to a guy who was refusing to comply with a police officer.
    They do have solitary cells in county jails. I was put in one for about 8 hours during my roughly 18 hour stay in a jail. They put you in them to detox or if you are suicidal, which I just happened to be suicidal at the time. I know you said you didn't care why I was put in jail but I was put into it because the person was driving got pulled over for speeding. I went into a panic attack, as I have them regularly. I had my medicine on me but out of the pill bottles since I was on back of a motorcycle in a very very tight jacket and couldn't fit my pill bottles into the jacket. Anyway they searched me and put me in jail.

But I seriously doubt me suing them would get very far for them not giving me a phone call and denying me one several times upon request.

However I wasn't arguing with you over him signing the ticket. I was just giving you an example from my experience that they do deny you a phone call. When I was put in a cell with a couple of other people they said it happens all the time and no one gives a shit about it happening either.

For all we know he might have lipped off to the officers and gotten a beating that caused this issue, Sad tho RIP to the family

Why on earth would you need to sign a ticket?

They check ID, they give you a ticket, if you don't pay the ticket then it eventually turns into a warrant. If you don't have ID only then would they actually need to detain you to ascertain who you are. Having to sign things sounds like a pointless exercise.

The whole chain of events sounds bizarre, even accounting for the fact the US legal system is a patchwork quilt of oddities. There's a whole lot of information missing there & no decent conclusions can be drawn.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    Sorry, there is no guaranteed "right to phone call". It varies from state to state and sometimes county to county. The whole "I get one phone call" thing is from TV dramas, not real life.
    According to the ACLU, you do have a right to a local phone call. This is ostensibly so that you can call your lawyer or someone you know who can contact your lawyer.

http://www.aclu.org/files/kyr/kyr_english_2.pdf

There are some very few states where your right to contact an attorney (which is a right you definitely have) is considered to be fulfilled if you can send it to them on paper, but this is a minority position. Most states give you the right to a phone call. In California, where this particular case is set, you have a right to three phone calls, and up to two more if you have childcare issues to take care of. Texas gives you two.

Every source I can find other than the ACLU (that isn't someone repeating what they've been told on Yahoo Answers) says, "You have a right to contact, by telephone or otherwise, a responsible person, to tell them you have been arrested and what the charges are. You are not limited to one telephone call if more are needed to contact such a person."

While there are some few places that prefer to let you contact someone by other means, the vast majority of states allow a phone call, and ALL are required to allow you to contact someone responsible.

---------- Post added 2013-06-21 at 08:54 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Usako View Post
    They do have solitary cells in county jails. I was put in one for about 8 hours during my roughly 18 hour stay in a jail. They put you in them to detox or if you are suicidal, which I just happened to be suicidal at the time. I know you said you didn't care why I was put in jail but I was put into it because the person was driving got pulled over for speeding. I went into a panic attack, as I have them regularly. I had my medicine on me but out of the pill bottles since I was on back of a motorcycle in a very very tight jacket and couldn't fit my pill bottles into the jacket. Anyway they searched me and put me in jail.

But I seriously doubt me suing them would get very far for them not giving me a phone call and denying me one several times upon request.

However I wasn't arguing with you over him signing the ticket. I was just giving you an example from my experience that they do deny you a phone call. When I was put in a cell with a couple of other people they said it happens all the time and no one gives a shit about it happening either.
    In many jurisdictions, if a police officer denies or neglects to give a prisoner his or her right to contact, they are guilty of a misdemeanor. In California in particular, where this particular case was, it is in fact a misdemeanor. It doesn't specify if the officer is required to pay a fine to the prisoner, but it does say for a similar misdemeanor violation that the officer must pay a fine of $500 to the prisoner.

http://www.legalupdateonline.com/4th/277

If you were denied a phone call, those phone records can probably be subpoena'd for the trial and you can convict the officer in question of a crime. You may not have the money to prosecute yourself, but that's what organizations like the ACLU do.
    Last edited by Reeve; 2013-06-21 at 01:58 PM.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by lakhesis View Post
    Why on earth would you need to sign a ticket?
    Some states require signing an appearance ticket essentially as a form of acknowledgment that the citation occurred.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Some states require signing an appearance ticket essentially as a form of acknowledgment that the citation occurred.
    Yeah, I think it's so that the police officer can't just write up ten citations for people out of the police database and spend the rest of the day at Starbucks'. If you have to actually sign the ticket, it's proof that you were there.

Edit: After looking it up, it signifies that the perpetrator acknowledges the ticket and that they are required to either pay the ticket on time or show up in court.
    Last edited by Reeve; 2013-06-21 at 02:15 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Moinaldo View Post
    Five days away without a call are not that """common""".
    At 25 it should be very common who calls their parents every 5 days @25?

Yeah, I think it's so that the police officer can't just write up ten citations for people out of the police database and spend the rest of the day at Starbucks'. If you have to actually sign the ticket, it's proof that you were there.
    Right. I doubt it makes a lot of difference in practice, but it's not really a bad procedure. We didn't have it in NY (where all my tickets occurred), but I think it makes pretty good conceptual sense to have acknowledgment from the charged individual that the officer cited him/her.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Right. I doubt it makes a lot of difference in practice, but it's not really a bad procedure. We didn't have it in NY (where all my tickets occurred), but I think it makes pretty good conceptual sense to have acknowledgment from the charged individual that the officer cited him/her.
    Or for all we know the officer said to the guy with no ID: "Just sign this otherwise I have to detain you till you get an ID"

Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    Me! I'm 28 and talk to my parents on the phone fairly often.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    I probably call my mother a couple times a week and I'm 29. What's wrong with calling your parents?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JudgePayne View Post
    For all we know he might have lipped off to the officers and gotten a beating that caused this issue, Sad tho RIP to the family
    Nothing like being hypothetical and making assumptions right?

---------- Post added 2013-06-21 at 10:20 AM ----------

I probably call my mother a couple times a week and I'm 29. What's wrong with calling your parents?
    I think my mother would be concerned if I called her that often

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Should have signed the damn ticket. Don't feel any pity for him at all.
    Paladin Bash has spoken.

Not signing the ticket was pretty stupid. Every citation I've ever seen explicitly states that signing is not an admission of guilt, just a promise to appear in court (or prepay, if applicable). By not signing, he is stating that he was never stopped by a police officer and told to stop whatever he was doing, which is patently false given that the officer wouldn't have been able to arrest him if he weren't there.