Deleted

Haste Stacking as Prot

Im a freshly dinged Protection Paladin, and i've been looking through the guide, and decided to go for 7.5% Hit > 15% Exp > Haste > Mastery > Parry > Dodge. But it just seems wrong to stack haste over avoidance. Could anyone please explain to me why Haste is so good?

More haste gives you more HoPo generation which by extension increases the uptime of SotR.

Quote Originally Posted by Dotmore View Post
    Im a freshly dinged Protection Paladin, and i've been looking through the guide, and decided to go for 7.5% Hit > 15% Exp > Haste > Mastery > Parry > Dodge. But it just seems wrong to stack haste over avoidance. Could anyone please explain to me why Haste is so good?
    The short version is that it allows you to use Crusader Strike and Judgement more often, which allows you to generate more Holy Power, which allows you to have higher up time on Shield of the Righteous which reduces Spike damage, which is the dangerous damage, more than any other stats.

It also, at 10/30/50/70%s gives an extra absorption bubble on Sacred Shield.

Long version: Sacredduty.net

It also increases dps, which is just a pleasant bonus.

Deleted
    But is SotR that good, that it replaces Dodge and Parry as defensive stats?

10+ Year Old Account
    Basically what Aerai said. You need as much Holy Power you can get to have your Shield up because damage reduction % is good for you. And to get the faster Holy Power, you need haste to use your generators as much as possible. It also adds a bit of DPS to the group so that's always a nice thing.
    I. Like. To. Kill. Things.
    For Pony!

yes it is that good

+ DPS + more healing not uncommon for me to do 70-100k Healing per second

What you have to look at is what typically kills tanks?

dodge/parry heavy builds can reduce more total damage than haste, so you take less damage over all.
    Haste, however, helps reduce SPIKE damage, which is generally what kills Tanks, since healers can't react as quickly to it.

This is a very long and established conversation, go to www.sacredduty.net and read everything Theck has written on Paladin tanking.
    He uses actual math, and most of us are just repeating what his conclusions are. I know I am.

Better than the worst tank stats ever? Easily.

How is this still being asked?

Yes. It is that good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malthanis View Post
    We'll all be appropriately shocked/amazed when Nairobi actually gets an avatar, but until then, let's try to not derail the thread heckling him about it.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    If it was that easy don't you think we would have figured that out? (Source)
    20k and counting...

Deleted
    Without too much mastery stacking, ShotR gives around 50% physical (only) damage reduction for 3 sec. For magical you have Divine Protection, WoG to recover and the other CDs.

So, basically, the goal is to have the biggest uptime of ShotR which can be used in exchange of 3HP. So, depending on how fast you generate that HP, the bigger uptime of ShotR you have and biggest physical damage reduction you have.

Mastery stacking is not that good because you really need high amounts of mastery for a few percentages of reduction, not that big a difference compared to the 45-50% you get with the mastery normally present on gear.

So, when you put in balance the two, haste and mastery, you prefer to have higher uptime of 45-50% physical damage reduction through fast HP generation than small uptime of 60% (?? never calculated how much you can get) reduction.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thedude View Post
    yes it is that good

+ DPS + more healing not uncommon for me to do 70-100k Healing per second
    to add to this, haste also increases the amount of seal of insight ticks, and the amount of sacred shield ticks. It also increases your DPS and threat, which in turn means the boss dies faster. especially for a 10 man, this is huge.

edit: also, with battle healer glyph, you send out a steady stream of healing, which further helps your healers. it's not uncommon to a paladin tank compete with the healers on the healing meters. especially with high vengeance.

Shield of the Righteous is basically a 45% physical damage mitigation buff. With higher levels of haste, you can have it up for really high uptime %'s (I've gotten as high as 73-75%). This basically means that while you're doing more dps because you have so much haste, attacking more often, hitting buttons more often... you effectively have Guardian of the Ancient Kings up for that long period of time. So yeah, it's a huge benefit.

And as someone else said, stacking haste also gives the double benefit of increasing the number of Sacred Shield ticks that happen within the 30 second buff. The more it refreshes, the better your mitigation coverage is.