Page 1 of 7
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1

    Wrathion - A Villain?

    I understand he seems to want to stop the Legion when they eventually invade. But doing his quests, the way he carries himself screams "villain". I haven't done all the quests to date yet, but he wants to "reshape Azeroth' and seems to be very ambitious.

    I'm not saying he will be a villain any time soon. After the Legion expansion, Blizzard is going to need to find new villains. Perhaps after we stop the Legion, we find some more titan artifacts, and Wrathion takes it upon himself to use them to reshape Azeroth? I think he would be a unique villain (at least in terms of WoW). Instead of being corrupted by the Old Gods, or a tyrant, Wrathion could end up being some sort of anti-hero. And I know some might say "omg another good guy turned bad" but that would be wrong, because Wrathion would have been a "bad guy" all along.

    Anyone else agree he would make a great villain?

    NOTE: Someone can both be an anti hero and a villain. They aren't mutually exclusive. I'm not saying Wrathion is evil.

    Villain definition - A dramatic or fictional character who is typically at odds with the hero.
    Last edited by Sesto; 2013-06-21 at 12:42 AM.

  2. #2
    I can see it, and I think it would make for an interesting storyline the more it unfolds ... all we can do is wait.

  3. #3
    I hope he does. Hate that whelp, thinking himself manipulator.
    Last edited by Verdugo; 2013-06-20 at 08:10 PM.
    The common man is like a worm in the gut of a corpse, trapped inside a prison of cold flesh, helpless and uncaring, unaware even of the inevitability of its own doom.

  4. #4
    The Lightbringer leaks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    I don't even know anymore.
    Posts
    3,448
    Hopefully the first infernal meteor to fall from the sky lands right on top of him.
    "Terror, darkness, power? The Forsaken crave not these things; the Forsaken ARE these things."

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesto View Post
    I understand he seems to want to stop the Legion when they eventually invade. But doing his quests, the way he carries himself screams "villain". I haven't done all the quests to date yet, but he want to "reshape Azeroth' and seems to be very ambitious.

    I'm not saying he will be a villain any time soon. After the Legion expansion, Blizzard is going to need to find new villains. Perhaps after we stop the Legion, we find some more titan artifacts, and Wrathion takes it upon himself to use them to reshape Azeroth? I think he would be a unique villain (at least in terms of WoW). Instead of being corrupted by the Old Gods, or a tyrant, Wrathion could end up being some sort of anti-hero. And I know some might say "omg another good guy turned bad" but that would be wrong, because Wrathion would have been a "bad guy" all along.

    Anyone else agree he would make a great villain?
    I would love to find out that Garrosh(with Yshaarj) were trying to become strong enough to stop the legion and all of Wrathion's doing to make us stop him is just him allied with the Legion. So we kill off their "real" threat to allow for their coming so they can deal with us weaklings on their time. Or that the dark heart is what is needed to open the portal for them or something.

  6. #6
    I have been suspicious of him from the start. His voice has kind of a "seedy" quality and he claims that we need to stop warring if we are to save Azeroth from worse things, but then he commands us to go out and kill hundreds of the other faction's NPCs which definitely does not help foster peace... Dude's shady.
    Normal is the name for the mental disorder present in the majority of humanity.
    Xinjun

  7. #7
    Herald of the Titans Abstieg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Boston, Massachusetts
    Posts
    2,857
    I mean, the guy's a black dragon. It's hard for him to appear to be anything but a villain, but I hope Blizzard doesn't squander the last of the Black Dragonflight by making him a villain, like the rest of his flight.

    He's a bit morally shady, but I don't think that makes him a villain.

  8. #8
    Herald of the Titans MrHappy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    2,567
    first time we met him he asked to kill his enemies on Pandaria and we gave him the remenants of Sha energy and in return we got a gem
    Second time we met he asked to kill our opposing faction playing and pitting both sides against the other and in return we got the eye of the black prince (socket)...which he could watch our every move
    Third time we met we stuck down the empire of the Thunder-king and gave him a powerful weapon to which we where rewarded with the crown of heavens...another item which binds us closer to Wrathion
    Next time we met we got the blessings of the spirits and a cloak

    So far it does seem like wrathion is using us to eliminate his opposition both horde and alliance as well as any other potential threat on pandaria. We also armed him with powerful artifacts. He SAYS Azeroth is in his best interests...but so far we set ourselves up for failure if he ever wanted to raise arms against us. Weakened by war with powerful forced and each-other we CAN be at the mercy of this black dragon. I feel like he is biding his time growing stronger and we do not know his true motives
    www.cherishyourit.ca MCTS - Win 7, MCTS - AD, A+, Security+

  9. #9
    During the first part of the legendary, he says based on your faction, something along the lines of don't worry my interests reside with your _____ (Horde or Alliance). Now granted the easy explanation might just be well they did that because it wouldn't make sense any other way. But why even put that in there then? I think he's manipulating both sides.
    Quote Originally Posted by Extremity View Post
    I like turtles. I would like turtle-based tier sets. I would like a turtle shell helmet, and perhaps a cheeseburger backpack and a chestpiece that simply places a red gemstone on my bellybutton.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by MrHappy View Post
    first time we met him he asked to kill his enemies on Pandaria and we gave him the remenants of Sha energy and in return we got a gem
    Second time we met he asked to kill our opposing faction playing and pitting both sides against the other and in return we got the eye of the black prince (socket)...which he could watch our every move
    Third time we met we stuck down the empire of the Thunder-king and gave him a powerful weapon to which we where rewarded with the crown of heavens...another item which binds us closer to Wrathion
    Next time we met we got the blessings of the spirits and a cloak

    So far it does seem like wrathion is using us to eliminate his opposition both horde and alliance as well as any other potential threat on pandaria. We also armed him with powerful artifacts. He SAYS Azeroth is in his best interests...but so far we set ourselves up for failure if he ever wanted to raise arms against us. Weakened by war with powerful forced and each-other we CAN be at the mercy of this black dragon. I feel like he is biding his time growing stronger and we do not know his true motives
    Honestly just thinking about it gives me chills. He could be an amazing villain if done right.

    I mean, he obviously knows of our (the players) accomplishments. We have slain the Lich King, Deathwing, Illidan, Ragnaros, pushed back Kil'Jaden, and all the Sha. Who better to become allies with? He is in a perfect spot to betray us, the only person who can stop him.

    If it goes the anti-hero route, we might reach a point where he reveals his plans to accomplish world peace (Anduin actually asks him what his goal is, "world peace" is his retort). His plan of course might be to reshape the world with some titan machine or something, but the point is that we (as players) cannot stand by while he does it. His reply would be something about how he knew it would end this way, and would try to kill us while we attempt to stop him from taking the machine. All of this could actually happen at the end of the Burning Legion expansion, in a quest we do after we kill Sargeras. We would fail, and he would end up escaping with the machine.

    And boom, Blizzard has their new title villain for the next expansion: Wrathion.

  11. #11
    Is it too much to ask to have one neutral character that's so shady in his methods but still ultimately sides with us players? One that doesn't ultimately become a bag of shinies?

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesto View Post
    I understand he seems to want to stop the Legion when they eventually invade. But doing his quests, the way he carries himself screams "villain". I haven't done all the quests to date yet, but he wants to "reshape Azeroth' and seems to be very ambitious.

    I'm not saying he will be a villain any time soon. After the Legion expansion, Blizzard is going to need to find new villains. Perhaps after we stop the Legion, we find some more titan artifacts, and Wrathion takes it upon himself to use them to reshape Azeroth? I think he would be a unique villain (at least in terms of WoW). Instead of being corrupted by the Old Gods, or a tyrant, Wrathion could end up being some sort of anti-hero. And I know some might say "omg another good guy turned bad" but that would be wrong, because Wrathion would have been a "bad guy" all along.

    Anyone else agree he would make a great villain?
    I really do. Hes certainly been a manipulative individual from the beginning, promising the players great power in return to doing his bidding. "He" is the power promising force to the players, the abstract character of the "heroes", instead of being a character promised power by someone else. The position he puts the players in is quite interesting, and gives us some of the experience of being the Illidan/Arthas/Garrosh character seeking power through actions that seem to make sense.

  13. #13
    Titan Kelimbror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Bear Taco, Left Hand of Death
    Posts
    14,270
    Quote Originally Posted by wooootles View Post
    Is it too much to ask to have one neutral character that's so shady in his methods but still ultimately sides with us players? One that doesn't ultimately become a bag of shinies?
    Maybe. He seems like an opportunist, but not evil. I feel like his role as a villain would be better served as someone who plays both sides always, but always has the upper hand so that we can't kill him. That's a very interesting character that the story is better for.

    With that said, it's kinda tacky they chose to make such a mistrustful, sketchy character wear a turban and have a quasi britishized middle eastern accent. I mean...is no one raising their eyebrows as that one?
    BAD WOLF

  14. #14
    He's a black dragon, need I say more?
    Raining Pandarens because of the bouncy racial?
    Quote Originally Posted by rokatoro View Post
    Some Might say it was... (•_•).....( •_•)>⌐■-■....(⌐■_■) A heavy Rain.
    I'm so sorry ;_;

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by wooootles View Post
    Is it too much to ask to have one neutral character that's so shady in his methods but still ultimately sides with us players? One that doesn't ultimately become a bag of shinies?
    But that is boring. Besides, how often do neutral characters that seem to be allied with the players end up becoming bosses? The only example I can think of is the Klaxxi, which is a very recent one, and probably the coolest thing Blizzard has done in a while.

    Quote Originally Posted by Uvwaex View Post
    I really do. Hes certainly been a manipulative individual from the beginning, promising the players great power in return to doing his bidding. "He" is the power promising force to the players, the abstract character of the "heroes", instead of being a character promised power by someone else. The position he puts the players in is quite interesting, and gives us some of the experience of being the Illidan/Arthas/Garrosh character seeking power through actions that seem to make sense.
    Holy shit, I never even thought of that connection. An excellent observation.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by wooootles View Post
    Is it too much to ask to have one neutral character that's so shady in his methods but still ultimately sides with us players? One that doesn't ultimately become a bag of shinies?
    Hes already a bag of shinies! Though one thats alive

  17. #17
    Herald of the Titans Abstieg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Boston, Massachusetts
    Posts
    2,857
    Quote Originally Posted by Barky View Post
    He's a black dragon, need I say more?
    He's literally the first black dragon in 10,000 years not to be inherently evil. It'd be nice if he wasn't evil.

  18. #18
    His father DID try to destroy the world, like father like son maybe?

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Barky View Post
    He's a black dragon, need I say more?
    yes, say more cause youve said nothing so far

  20. #20
    He seems lawful neutral (his law, neutral to our morality) to me.

    I think he could be a good bad guy/bad good guy quite well. One who views the world as the chess board.

    We may think it's horrible for him to sacrifice 1000 lives today, but he sees it as preventing 10,000 deaths in a decade. There's a lot to work with if he's supposed to be the "long term big picture" type because you can twist his "evils" by looking at the reality of "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few" taken to the nth degree.
    "There is good and evil in this world; we must find the black and white in the gray."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •