Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1

    Isle of Thunder - no flying - don't understand

    You know what sucked about Pre-BC and BC? Having to fight a million mobs just to get to the most trivial location, whether you liked it or not, without being able to avoid them. Even low level mobs had a chance to daze you and dismount you off your mount if they passed closed enough.

    "But that took skill and made the game more challenging."

    No, that took time and made the game more annoying. Anyone could kill 20 enemies to get somewhere. Doing it every day was pointless.

    I don't understand why after paying gold every expansion just to be ALLOWED to use these things, we still have moments in WoW when we're restricted in open world to use them.

    Isle of Thunder is a PAIN IN THE ASS. Ok? It feels like I'm back in pre-BC Feralas ffs and Un'Goro. Just to get this retard's body pieces I have to go around killing about 40 enemies because ain't it funny, the quest marker only shows its general location. On top of that, Blizzard decides to mimic GW2 and add jumping "puzzles" to the thing, so that I waste even more time for the most trivial of tasks.

    What the hell is the point of this? Was leveling in this place without flying not enough? I experienced all the cuuuulllttuuure of pandaren, why the hell do I have to experience killing endless enemies just to FIND quest items and get to places, this is just stupid and I don't care if you disagree, you are wrong.

  2. #2
    Since flying mounts were introduced, every expansion has had no fly areas. This is not a new concept.

  3. #3
    The Lightbringer Auxis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Western Australia
    Posts
    3,239
    Quote Originally Posted by KorbenDallasMultipass View Post
    You know what sucked about Pre-BC and BC? Having to fight a million mobs just to get to the most trivial location, whether you liked it or not, without being able to avoid them. Even low level mobs had a chance to daze you and dismount you off your mount if they passed closed enough.

    "But that took skill and made the game more challenging."

    No, that took time and made the game more annoying. Anyone could kill 20 enemies to get somewhere. Doing it every day was pointless.

    I don't understand why after paying gold every expansion just to be ALLOWED to use these things, we still have moments in WoW when we're restricted in open world to use them.

    Isle of Thunder is a PAIN IN THE ASS. Ok? It feels like I'm back in pre-BC Feralas ffs and Un'Goro. Just to get this retard's body pieces I have to go around killing about 40 enemies because ain't it funny, the quest marker only shows its general location. On top of that, Blizzard decides to mimic GW2 and add jumping "puzzles" to the thing, so that I waste even more time for the most trivial of tasks.

    What the hell is the point of this? Was leveling in this place without flying not enough? I experienced all the cuuuulllttuuure of pandaren, why the hell do I have to experience killing endless enemies just to FIND quest items and get to places, this is just stupid and I don't care if you disagree, you are wrong.
    Either quit complaining, or "Don't like it? Don't do it."
    By Blizzard Entertainment:
    Part of the reason is that Battlegrounds are like ducks.
    My Nintendo FC is 2208-5726-4303.

  4. #4
    Brewmaster Pejo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    C eh N eh D eh
    Posts
    1,266
    Quote Originally Posted by KorbenDallasMultipass View Post
    What the hell is the point of this? Was leveling in this place without flying not enough? I experienced all the cuuuulllttuuure of pandaren, why the hell do I have to experience killing endless enemies just to FIND quest items and get to places, this is just stupid and I don't care if you disagree, you are wrong.
    Since you do not want to actually discuss this, can we get this thread closed?

    Blizzard has already stated that even though they enjoy the exploration flying mounts offer, they heavily trivialize quests which they disliked heavily in Cataclysm. It also offers an interesting opportunity for world pvp which people have been asking for, and they delivered. Last of all, it is something different and will keep reappearing in every expansion past this one.

  5. #5
    The Lightbringer SL1200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois.
    Posts
    3,200
    I agree with you it's garbage I'm tired of having my flying mount taken away. It really takes a lot of fun out of the game not being able to fly.

  6. #6
    The flying restriction is understandable due to the progressive nature of the island opening up. Even though I don't feel that it is necessary, I do think that the restriction could be lifted for the characters that have completed the storyline. It would seem reasonable for the storm to dissipate after Lei Shen's death. This wouldn't have hurt the design either because by the time a character can earn enough reputation the island would've already been on the final stage. He or she would've also had the time to experience all of the quests the way they were intended.

    Granted, this could hurt the world PvP on the zone. My opinion is slightly scewed because even if I enjoy world PvP there are practically no Horde on my realm. An alternative could have been to stagger the lifting until 5.4.

    EDIT: After taking the time to reconsider the situation, I think that as long as there is a logical reason for the restriction then it is fine being kept in place. In this case the explanation can simply be that the storm will loom around even after the fall of the Thunder King. The benefits of allowing flying mounts would be neglible and the change would hurt the design of the area.

    I think it would even be pretty fun if you could fly up and get instantly zapped down.

  7. #7
    Warchief Kuthe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    2,248
    I like it?
    Finally I can fight Alliance on an even ground where neither of us can suddenly drop out of the sky.
    Beautiful locations, barely any mobs to pass to get to the PvP questing area.
    Actually being immersed in the MASSIVE part of WoW. Can't just fly and be lazy.

    I think the main attraction of it for me though is just the fact that PvP is finally fairish. Well of course it's not balanced. But when Alliance are trying to do their PvP quests at our HUB, I actually have a chance at stopping them, and not watching them fly away out of reach the second the I get close to them.

    Zones like this should stay, I love them.
    We stopped searching for monsters under our beds when we realized that they were inside us.

    Tell me something, my friend. You ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?

  8. #8
    The Insane
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Posts
    16,268
    Pay attention, the first thing the npc tell you is that you can't fly because of all the freaky THUNDER. Sigh.
    *broken link*
    Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

  9. #9
    Mechagnome Lushious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    618
    I the opening quests you are told that a storm rages on the island striking down enemy (us) from our mounts, just look at the first solo scen you do on the isle. But as Keoren also said

    Quote Originally Posted by Keoren View Post
    The flying restriction is understandable due to the progressive nature of the island opening up.
    Even tho people (including myself) climbed abit and could get into areas earlier than intended
    FC: 2809-9067-8996
    Grass safari with: Ivysaur - Pansage - ???

  10. #10
    They wanted to throw a bone to the gankers who want "wpvp", so to shut them up they made it a no fly zone.

  11. #11
    There's always a no-fly zone to satisfy the ganke--err, World PvP'ers. It's annoying, but nobody gets it all their way in this game.

  12. #12
    Remember what happened to the dragonhawks as you arrived?
    Nyoro~n? (´・ω・`)
    5:2 diet? Pft!

    One year, 62kg/136lb lost. Only a little bit left...

  13. #13
    My server is PVE and we have almost NO HORDE.

    This place is a PAIN IN THE ASS. I do NOT miss not having flying mounts, NOT on a PVE server.

  14. #14
    Legendary! Tommo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    6,513
    And your the reason why I hate WoW right now. Flying mounts should have stayed and died in Outland.

    God forbid we have 1 fucking tiny island dedicated to "not flying over all the artwork that blizzard took time to create".

    Quote Originally Posted by Khorine View Post
    They wanted to throw a bone to the gankers who want "wpvp", so to shut them up they made it a no fly zone.
    And no they didnt, that zone would have never worked as a flying zone, its too small, its based on seiging an enemy stronghold, simply flying in wouldnt work.

  15. #15
    If you break down what the OP is complaining about, it isn't really the no flying, as they stated ... but the fact that they don't adjust mob density.

    The mob density and lack of a path through to your destination is the real issue. Take the load screen tooltip 'stick to the road to avoid monsters' (well, basically). That has always been an essential part of the world that was designed for ground travel. It is something they've forgotten over the years.

    Should you never be in danger? Of course you should. But when you are 'farming' dailies/content in general, the 10th/100th time you do it, the density becomes a pain, not immersion. Same with mob respawns. Respawn rates have to be high enough for everyone in the zone; but it seems pretty shitty to clear a cave, grab a quest item, then have to reclear the cave on the way out. Or if you were there at the start of MoP, you could get caught in an enless mob spawn loop ... I swear I was continuously killing non stop spawns of large packs for about 10 minutes on my lock (great if I was farming skyshards, which I wasn't). I literally stood in one spot and as soon as the pack died, the other one spawned on top of me.

    Don't take flying out of the game, don't stop making fly-free zones ... but make sure the area is maneuverable. Is it not the focus of these zones to encourage pvp? Then you don't need such a high pve mob density.

  16. #16
    As it's been said, flying mounts trivialize questing and there have been no-fly zones in just about every ex-pack(at the moment, I can't think of one for Wrath besides barely counting Wintergrasp). Blizzard provided lore workarounds for why you couldn't fly on the island. I like flight restricted zones for questing purposes because they are generally some of the best developed questing zones in the game in that era. Notably; Isle of thunder, Molten Front, Isle of Quel'Danas. There are still plenty of daily factions that don't restrict you to a ground mount and are certainly more plentiful than the ones that do. I'm sure that Blizzard tracks activity and participation with every new questing zone and I'm sure they will develop more towards what gets the more positive response and participation. If using a ground mount is so painful to you that you have to complain about it when it happens once every few years (Molten Front was 6/2011) then your best option to not see another is to continue to play and ignore the dailies. I haven't done anything from 5.3 in weeks. I got the pet the first week and there is no reason to continue, not even a story to tie it together. The design of the repeatables in 5.3 is lackluster at best, to me at least.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    And your the reason why I hate WoW right now. Flying mounts should have stayed and died in Outland.

    God forbid we have 1 fucking tiny island dedicated to "not flying over all the artwork that blizzard took time to create".


    And no they didnt, that zone would have never worked as a flying zone, its too small, its based on seiging an enemy stronghold, simply flying in wouldnt work.
    What artwork dude it's a bunch of trees, a swamp, and the main attraction is the palace itself. Give me a break. At least pandaria leveling looked pretty good, I'll give it that.

  18. #18
    Dreadlord DrMcNinja's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Training with Batman in the Batcave
    Posts
    835
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    And your the reason why I hate WoW right now. Flying mounts should have stayed and died in Outland.

    God forbid we have 1 fucking tiny island dedicated to "not flying over all the artwork that blizzard took time to create".



    And no they didnt, that zone would have never worked as a flying zone, its too small, its based on seiging an enemy stronghold, simply flying in wouldnt work.
    And it actually makes sense. Theres lightning being aimed at EVERYTHING hostile flying around (As seen in one of the first solo scenarios).

  19. #19
    With the story of the island aside (lightning zapping flying stuffs)...

    Simple, people bitch and whine constantly that flying somehow 'ruined' the game despite the fact there are very few scenarios you are actually forced to fly.

    As for world pvp...yea that isn't coming back if we have flying mounts or not, it's as dead as the 3 hours it took to form a pug.

  20. #20
    Stood in the Fire Kuul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    378
    One of the strongest points of the isle was the fact there was no flying, just my 2 cents. It would have feel a lot worse with flying, in my opinion.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •