Page 1 of 31
... LastLast

So What Does The Alliance Want?

I see a lot of Horde reacting to Alliance discontent at how we seem to have very little to do with the SoO except as tagging along with the Horde in their quest to overthrow their dictator. It's obvious that Orgrimmar won't be lost to the Horde and the Alliance are just going to end up going about their merry way afterwords. Many Alliance players are pretty pissed about that, because at the end of the day, all we did was help the Horde overthrow a tyrant and reunify them back together. What did we Alliance get out of it? Nothing, really. We don't take back lost lands, we don't conquer any Horde territory, we don't even really strike a crippling blow against the faction that has given us a pretty thorough thrashing with almost zero retribution or vengeance.

Horde players see this as Alliance being crybabies because in their view, we get to raid their capital, and what do we expect, to remove the Horde and blow up their beloved capital? No, that's not what we are expecting from Blizzard at all. We don't even really want to wipe out the Horde or even cripple them.

What do we want? It's quite simple. We want a big, giant, smoking hole in the ground where an important Horde city and questhub used to be. We want a giant, smoking crater, that will STAY a giant smoking crater; something we can point to on the map and go, "yeah, the Horde nuked Theramore, they facemelted Southshore, and they ruined Gilneas, but you see this here??? This used to be (insert Horde town here - I prefer Crossroads or maybe Stonard)! This is where we got them back! This smoking ruins, this pile of rubble is where we kicked ass for the Alliance!"

It doesn't even have to be Orgimmar, or a capital city. But it should be important, it should be significant and it shouldn't be some minor pitstop like Camp Tuarajo was. I still roll my eyes when crying Hordies bring up Camp Taurajo (aka the one, the only, insignificant, minor thing they actually lost) as being this huge major thing. I mean, you seriously wanna compare that minor collection of tents (which was the smallest one of several quest stops for Hordies in the Barrens) to frakking THERAMORE? Or Gilneas?? or Southshore??? Please. And no, Orgimmar doesn't count because it's not going to be destroyed and the Horde is going to raid it too. I'm talking about a clear-cut victory that belongs to the Alliance, and ONLY to the Alliance.

We Alliance want some sense that yeah, the Horde did kick us while we were down, they did demolish our stuff, but you know what? We got them back, and we got our vengeance and they're not gonna ever forget it. Why? Cause we have a smoking hole in the ground to that we can point to as a giant "screw you!" to the Horde.
    Last edited by jimboa24; 2013-06-21 at 04:31 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lets blow up a place nobody visits anyway! Bomb Silvermoon!

Not our fault your incompetent

You had a chance to turn stonard into dust but decide better to withdraw when you had the town at your mercy

Quote Originally Posted by Combooticus View Post

You had a chance to turn stonard into dust but decide better to withdraw when you had the town at your mercy
    Not our fault; Blizzard has our hands tied. They seem mentally incapable of letting us have a real win. "Lawful good"? More like "Lawful stupid".

Not our fault Blizzard is incompetent
    Fixed that for ya. :P

The problem has arrisen in Cataclysm, where clearly (and Blizz themselves admitted) that most of the development went into the Horde side of things and the Alliance (particularly the Worgen) were an afterthought.

I always liken the issue to being this way.

Vanilla = Orc and Human glaring angrily at eachother
    BC = Orc says "F-U!" and pushes the human
    Wrath = Human says "No, F-U!" and pushes the Orc
    Cataclysm = The human is pushed off a cliff and the Orc begins urinating off the edge where he pushed him.

Blizz failed in balance on MANY fronts, story, territory, questing experience and implementation of the new race - and they've SERIOUSLY hurt their reputation on the Alliance side of things - one that I'm not sure how they can fix honestly... not without hurting the Horde in some way.

...and don't say "Garrosh being killed is hurting the horde". No it isn't, and you damn well know that. It's the Alliance helping to FIX the horde's very unpopular problem. Not the same thing at all...

Well you won't get anything like that, because this game isn't your mother handing out chocolates to you and your brother.

BUT HE GOT TWO I SHOULD GET TWO AS WELL!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Well you won't get anything like that, because this game isn't your mother handing out chocolates to you and your brother.

BUT HE GOT TWO I SHOULD GET TWO AS WELL!!!
    ...which is probably why more than 5 million players chose to find a new mother handing out tastier chocolates. :P

Remember, it's a video game - not a real life simulator. :P

Hah, our new battlecry: "FOR THE HOLE!!!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jimboa24 View Post
    Hah, our new battlecry: "FOR THE HOLE!!!"
    This actually made me laugh out loud irl.

What the Alliance needs is an Alliance story. Not a story about their battle with the Horde, a story about the Alliance.

You can think of the current Horde civil war as a story about the Horde. It would work if you replaced the Alliance with ANYONE, it's the story of an unpopular war tearing a society apart and sparking a revolution.

Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of easy story hooks for the Alliance to latch on to for their story. Good stories rise internally, and Blizzard has been working hard to remove all internal frictions from the Alliance to turn them into a Big Happy (Boring) Family. You'd basically have to make something whole cloth.

Quote Originally Posted by Darmalus View Post
    What the Alliance needs is an Alliance story. Not a story about their battle with the Horde, a story about the Alliance.
    Thats what you get for choosing faction that is entirely based on reaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    Thats what you get for choosing faction that is entirely based on reaction.
    Wasn't always like that....back in Classic and TBC, we were plenty proactive.

Deleted
    Maybe that's what you want.

I think most of the Alliance, the citizens (not us heroes!) just want to be left alone.

That, or a pony. Everyone wants a pony.

Wasn't always like that....back in Classic and TBC, we were plenty proactive.
    Largely because Blizzard wasn't sure what to do with the Horde at the start. The Alliance had a large body of established lore, but that lore was founded on reaction to the Old Horde, as Verdugo put it. And the writers seem to be trapped in a reactionary stance still. Starting as a blank slate seems to have worked out pretty well for the Horde, their story is pretty dynamic.

I think part of the problem is that the other faction leaders don't have much in the way of motivations. They largely just do what Varian tells them, no "You owe me." or deals, they just jump to Varian's tune. Contrast that with Horde faction leadership.

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    ...which is probably why more than 5 million players chose to find a new mother handing out tastier chocolates. :P

Remember, it's a video game - not a real life simulator. :P
    I'm curious to see how many of those that have unsubbed recently were mainly alliance players. Would be interesting knowledge.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Awsomerman View Post
    I'm curious to see how many of those that have unsubbed recently were mainly alliance players. Would be interesting knowledge.

Not enough. The Alliance are a stain on Azeroth and I hope enough get turned into undead for Lady Sylvannas.
    You cared enough to post.

You do realize that the players really have no say in what happens right? It's all the Horde centric writers that decided Alliance should just walk away, much like they're going to do with Orgrimmar. The only Alliance victory is one that the Horde allows Alliance to participate in. Even then, the win isn't an Alliance win, but a "Yay, you helped!" It's honestly about the same way you treat a child. "Yay you won! Even though I'm a professional chess player and this is your first time playing, you won!" Works for children, not for adults that want some story.

or the drenai city

To ask why allies complain, is to ask why the leaves fall. It is their nature.

It doesn't matter what blizz does, you will still complain. Even if they did actually made alliance nuke OG so that there's only a big smoking crater, someone would come and bitch about what they get from a big smoking crater, and why horde got a new shiny capital instead.

I still roll my eyes when crying Hordies bring up Camp Taurajo (aka the one, the only, insignificant, minor thing they actually lost)
    Except for Kargath, Bloodvenom Point, Warsong Lumber Camp and Sun Point.

You see, the thing with "Blizzard writes the story" is, it works both ways. The Horde victories are not the players victories so i don't see for what you really need your "giant screw you" for since we did nothing to you.