Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

What do you consider as "hobby"

The age old question that everyone faces when they meet people or start group of some sorts..

"What is your hobby and what are you good at"

To some, thats non-issue. To some its not as simple as that.

The reason I ask this is because people tend to dismiss some hobbies more easily than others.
    I've seen people not even take certain things as hobbies simply because its not "organised group gathering where you do stuff IRL every week in building somewhere" or simply "sports or no go".
    Do you consider gaming as hobby? Skating? What about "listening to music and watching TV"? How about cooking in home? just few examples..

I mean heck, why ask the whole "whats your hobby" if you dont plan to take most of the stuff as hobbies to begin with?

Deleted
    Any activity that I can enjoy, even work.

"Sports or no go" - this thing is being said only by people who do sports. Boring.
    Last edited by mmoc0f233d9eb1; 2013-06-21 at 11:29 AM.

Deleted
    Gaming is possibly my biggest one, I also enjoy metal detecting.

Deleted
    Trolling forums, and playing computer games, definitely my favorite things!
    Also posting ponies

15+ Year Old Account
    Coding, MMOs (currently not playing, trying to stay clean), progressive metal, learning about how other people live on the planet

10+ Year Old Account
    MMOs and scuba diving (when i can afford it).

Deleted
    A hobby is an activity which:

- draws my attention
    - makes me comfortable
    - helps me to forget about stressing things
    - has no real "ending"
    - offers some kind of challenge, without pressure
    - is creative
    - I do regularly
    - gives the opportunity to gather skill and knowledge about it
    - is self-containing / self-fulfilling
    - helps to free my mind
    - pleases every kind of compentence, from casual to pro
    - needs some active involvement (choosing, valueing, handcrafting)

So nearly everything can be a hobby: Gaming, sports, drawing, listenig to music, watching films, build a model railroad, painting little warhammer figures, travelling, brewing beer or driving...
    Last edited by mmoc5461ee9f4c; 2013-06-21 at 10:57 AM.

Deleted
    Gaming, sports/gym, and i used to play guitar a lot, but as i realised my dream of being a rockstar wasn't going to happen i stopped playing as much :P

Edit

Forgot to say what I think a hobby is. Mainly something that you do for fun in your spare time.
    Last edited by mmocb74691f7d5; 2013-06-21 at 11:05 AM.

Deleted
    Well before the thread derails into different stuff..

I didnt really ask what is your hobby

I asked what do you define as hobby

10+ Year Old Account
    A hobby is something that someone does in their spare time for fun and to enjoy themselves. I consider this as gaming, watching series, and going to the gym, it used to be football for me but times change. Sports or gtfo is a stupid argument, really. A hobby doesn't have to be a form of exercise like some people think.
    When I go to the gym with my friend I find it fun and it's therefore a hobby of mine, other people force themselves to go so that they can keep in shape and they don't really enjoy it since they go just for that reason. Everyone's opinion is different.

15+ Year Old Account
    I tend to count hobbies as things I do for fun that aren't sports.

So for me that would be gaming, listening to music, going to gigs & festivals, going to the gym and stuff like that.

But the sports I do - Jujitsu, wakeboarding, sailing etc I'd list under sports (sailing could probably be either depending on what kind of sailing you do)

I consider anything you do, because you enjoy it, a hobby, as long as it doesn't harm others against their will :P

That can be reading, feeding fish/birds, sport, drawing, work that you would do even if you didn't get money for it, creating your own things, fixing broken stuff in your home, helping others, listening to music, going to the cinema etc.

I'm unsure if I would call bragging a hobby, but I guess it can be to some.
    Everyone has so much to say
    They talk talk talk their lives away

Deleted
    Any activity you do on a regular basis for fun I would call a hobby. I wouldn't say watching movies was a hobby if you did it once a year, but if you do it regular, then sure. So the definition for me is simply if it's something you do on a regular basis. Otherwise it would just be, I enjoy watching movies, not watching movies is a hobby of mine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Anything I enjoy doing and have invested time, attention and money towards that isn't my job.

Drawing, Video games. Though drawing is slowly becoming more and more a job thing. So video games are really the only one I have.

And hey I'd say even 'internet' is, with the amount of stupid waste of time I put towards forums some day.
    I have eaten all the popcorn, I left none for anyone else.

Any activity that you enjoy doing willingly just because you want rather than out of necessity. Could be anything (even work, if you're lucky enough to have a job doing something you love).

Quite a few for me. Stuff I enjoy doing in my free time:

- Gaming, obviously. WoW and Starcraft 2 are my biggest ones right now. I fire up the occasional Steam game every once in a while.
    - Reading (science fiction/fantasy stuff mostly).
    - Guitar playing. I am still somewhat of a noob and don't consider myself very good at it yet, but I'm working on that.
    - Playing with my dogs. I have two.
    Last edited by Ciddy; 2013-06-21 at 01:49 PM.

Deleted
    Would you put it on your CV? (i guess there are some you wouldn't)

for me its:
    -sport
    -music (guitar)
    -beer brewing
    - AND MAGIC

10+ Year Old Account
    Something you do on a regular basis for your own personal enjoyment.
    Putin khuliyo

gaming is BEST hobby, IMO

10+ Year Old Account
    A hobby is just whatever activity you choose to do in your leisure time for personal enjoyment, whether that is home brewing or scrapbooking or video games or football.

What you're talking about is a simple case of people being judgmental of things that they don't understand or opinions they don't share. It shouldn't really surprise you if grandma doesn't think "video games" can be a hobby or whatever.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Something that you put work into during your spare time for the enjoyment it gives you. I enjoy working on my classic chevelle, im not a mechanic but I find it relaxing.