Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by santa666 View Post
    Its pretty equal, like you said lightning balls is harder for melee but nothing gamebreaking imo.
    You're probably referring to two different things. He's talking about lightning orbs which can't target melee, you're talking about heroic storm phase.

Pink dino comes for melee and even tanks, just later in the fight and is 100000% times harder to handle as melee...
    Plenty of times where sandtraps under melee group, i'd take that anyday over avoiding orbs, interupts, crystal, running around etc.
    Our first kill (first week) had only two or three melee with the dino, the boss simply died before any more melee could get it. It's slightly more annoying, but it also lasts about a quarter of the fight if even that. Nowadays a few ranged don't even get it anymore. Still harder for melee, just pointing that out though.

Are you in the interrupt rotation for sul ?
    Melee HAD to swap, just cause we outgear it now shouldn't matter.
    Killed the second week without melee swapping. Melees didn't swap either during our tries on the first week, but sul simply didn't die in time and we weren't surviving aoe+adds.

Yes, being chased by rockfall and avoiding aoe so your shield doesnt fall off and not being in melee range is so much less annoying then having to move from a turtle cuz you decided to stand stupid....
    Not exactly sure what you're saying here.

Fact that you're not sure if we get cinders speaks volumes of your experience as melee.
    He's right though, ranged have to position correctly for torrent of ice kiting and use cinders to extinguish flames, plus it's mostly them dealing with adds via aoe silences/stuns. All melee do is run out, get dispelled, run back in.

Except we cant stand where we want for both puddles and caw.
    You flame the above poster for not knowing mechanics, and you don't know yourself caw doesn't target melee? Melees also have many more gap closers for wind draft in case they are in a bad position.

You'll take a little dps loss sure, but saying you cant dps at all is not true for any class or spec.
    Pretty much agree, it's the same fight. Ranged has a lot more optimization to do to deal damage while moving though.

Ye, it targets melee aswell buddy, add in to the fact we're getting kited for the whole fight while you stand still, yeh...
    Melee has the shorter end of the stick here, agreed.

You keep switching between normal and heroic it seems, cant speak for animus heroic personally, but its pretty equal on normal.
    It's pretty equal on heroic too, strict positioning for both.

Again, arcing lightning is not exclusive to ranged.... it stacks regularly on ranged but spreads with melee aswell.
    Even so, being able to dps from whereever and not having to actually deal with lines is far easier as ranged, i'd take clicking duty anyday.
    Melees, however, can't spread it nor have to care about it at all. Lines are pretty much non-existant for both, unless your tanks are complete idiots.

Again, melee has to stay spread aswell, depending on comp will be far harder for melee.
    Not sure what you're spreading for. Barrage can't target melee, Sun beam has an 8 yard range making spreading possible only if you're standing exactly at the extreme opposites of the hitbox, which isn't feasible if you want to also keep the boss close enough to the comet.

Sure, there's no huge cockbloak for melee but there is plenty of fights which is considerably easier as ranged / ranged comp.
    That's mostly due to multitarget damage advantages and target switching problems, ranged still have to deal with more mechanics.
    Fluorescent - Fluo - currently retired, playing other stuff

i5-4670k @ 4.5 / Thermalright Silver Arrow Extreme / Gigabyte Z87X-D3H / 8GB DDR3-1600 RAM / Gigabyte GTX 760

Warchief
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluorescent0 View Post
    Our first kill (first week) had only two or three melee with the dino, the boss simply died before any more melee could get it. It's slightly more annoying, but it also lasts about a quarter of the fight if even that. Nowadays a few ranged don't even get it anymore. Still harder for melee, just pointing that out though.
    Our first kill, me as tank got dino pretty much the second jalak died. With heroic throw / throw (lol range) i had to kite for a good while to survive.

Killed the second week without melee swapping. Melees didn't swap either during our tries on the first week, but sul simply didn't die in time and we weren't surviving aoe+adds.
    We used to leave tank and 1 melee for interupt, rest switches. Now sul dies before hero ends lol.

Not exactly sure what you're saying here.
    There's times where rockfall decide to chase you and eventually corner you, forcing you go out of tortos melee range and you cant dps.
    That or it breaks shield and you're forced to move anyhow.

He's right though, ranged have to position correctly for torrent of ice kiting and use cinders to extinguish flames, plus it's mostly them dealing with adds via aoe silences/stuns. All melee do is run out, get dispelled, run back in.
    Tbh, haven't killed it on heroic yet nor played offspec here, ill take your word for it.

You flame the above poster for not knowing mechanics, and you don't know yourself caw doesn't target melee? Melees also have many more gap closers for wind draft in case they are in a bad position.
    If a range decides he'll stand behind you, you'll get hit by it. But yes it doesn't actually target you.
    Last edited by santa666; 2013-06-27 at 01:32 PM.

I don't honestly know of a class without a way to negate the down draft and close that gap.

there is no right or wrong answer to this question thus a waste to ask
    its all preference

There's times where rockfall decide to chase you and eventually corner you, forcing you go out of tortos melee range and you cant dps.
    That or it breaks shield and you're forced to move anyhow.
    That's why you look at timing and know which are gonna fall in the next second and which are gonna wait a second or more so you can move in another position.

If a range decides he'll stand behind you, you'll get hit by it. But yes it doesn't actually target you.
    Which means the burden of positioning still lies on ranged, not melee.
    Fluorescent - Fluo - currently retired, playing other stuff

i5-4670k @ 4.5 / Thermalright Silver Arrow Extreme / Gigabyte Z87X-D3H / 8GB DDR3-1600 RAM / Gigabyte GTX 760

If you want the general feel on things, playing melee is usually much easier because you don't have to participate in mechanics and many outright don't even target melee (there are fights where the reverse is true, of course). However, simply because you're ignoring a mechanic doesn't mean that everyone else can too (you need at least X ranged out of melee range for melee not to be targeted), so its basically a shift of responsibility onto other players.

Of course, theres ultimately only a certain amount of players that actually need to be hitting adds or standing outside melee range, so its not like theres much benefit to a ranged loaded raid.

Warchief
    That's why you look at timing and know which are gonna fall in the next second and which are gonna wait a second or more so you can move in another position.

Which means the burden of positioning still lies on ranged, not melee.
    Maybe i was playing poorly, but the randomness of it while having a low shield and the aoe made it hard to be in tortos range AND not dropping shield, it felt near impossible when 5+ falls where literally chasing me :-/
    I honestly dont think i would have that issue playing my lock/mage/spriest.

I dont fully agree, they shouldnt position themselves behind you, but as melee you cant be static (pools) still gotta be in melee range and have far less area overall to stand in, specially towards the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiricine View Post
    If you want the general feel on things, playing melee is usually much easier because you don't have to participate in mechanics and many outright don't even target melee (there are fights where the reverse is true, of course). However, simply because you're ignoring a mechanic doesn't mean that everyone else can too (you need at least X ranged out of melee range for melee not to be targeted), so its basically a shift of responsibility onto other players.

Of course, theres ultimately only a certain amount of players that actually need to be hitting adds or standing outside melee range, so its not like theres much benefit to a ranged loaded raid.
    bolded the part that's particularly wrong.

If you want to talk to me about wow theorycrafting or anything really: Eranthe#1639