Software to detect + record internet outages?

So I've been having a lot of issues with Comcast for the past 3 or so weeks where only during the day roughly between the hours of 8 AM and 9 PM I've been getting intermittent disconnect issues. I.e. I'll be playing a game and every 10 or so minutes I'll get disconnected from the internet completely for 10-15 seconds - just long enough to DC me.

What I'm looking for is software that will "ping" my internet connection every 5 seconds or something and record whether or not I have internet access - and then also record when I DONT have internet access. I can then use this information to try to hopefully get Comcast to see my issue.

Deleted
    ping googles ip or something on your pc and save it to a text file.

ping 216.239.51.99 -t >> Internet.txt

That wont last very long, will it?

I need something that runs for hours.

Not to mention all I'm getting with that ip address is ping time outs
    Last edited by Alcsaar; 2013-06-21 at 01:29 PM.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ping -t will ping forever until you CTRL+C.
    CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k Cooler: NZXT Kraken X60 Thermal Paste: Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra Mobo: ASUS Maximus VI Formula RAM: 32GB G.Skill TridentX DDR3-2133 SSD: Samsung 840 EVO GPU: GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1080 WindForce OS: Windows 10 Pro PSU: Corsair AX860 80+ Platinum Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D Monitor: Dell U3415W 34" 21:9 3440x1440 Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech G502 Headset: Logitech G35 Speakers: Logitech Z53 NAS: Synology DS214 Play (6TB RAID-0) Router: ASUS AC87R

Deleted
    You can also just ping www.google.com instead. That can give false results if you have dns problems though.

another ip for google: 92.246.5.48 Or you could just lookup the ip by yourself and ping it instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Diesta View Post
    You can also just ping www.google.com instead. That can give false results if you have dns problems though.

another ip for google: 92.246.5.48 Or you could just lookup the ip by yourself and ping it instead.

Alright thanks I'll let it run for a bit. Would be nice to have a program that simply spelled it out and displayed time out lengths and what no though.

I mean if you have advanced knowledge of what you are looking for, you could try WireShark. It wont do you much good if you don't know what each packet does/is, but it will track every packet i/o created.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tankendog View Post
    I mean if you have advanced knowledge of what you are looking for, you could try WireShark. It wont do you much good if you don't know what each packet does/is, but it will track every packet i/o created.
    wireshark is far from what he needs, and I doubt he has the knowledge to utilize the program anyway.. there's no point in scanning packets when you want to detect internet outages.

Deleted
    If you live in the UK, have a look at the thinkbroadband tbbMeter - http://www.thinkbroadband.com/tbbmeter.html

You can use PingPlotter to keep track of your connection status for several days.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

http://www.activexperts.com/download/

we use this at work for simple up/down email alerts. its fully functional for 30 days but even after it expires, the ICMP Ping module still works after it expires (at least the version we have). you can specify ping interval, consecutive unsuccessful pings before failure, latency thresholds.... Alerts can be emailed, sent via network messages, SNMP traps, etc

if you dont have a mail server to relay with or any other way to display alerts , just enable logging and you can review the txt file.