Warrior tank population

Just a curiosity question here. How come (IMO) I don't see many raiding prot warriors. I'm not sure where to find stats on it, so I could be 100% wrong, but in the past 2 or 3 weeks of raiding and doing all the LFR's, I have seen 1 prot warrior...mostly DK's and pallys with the occasional bear...and have yet to see a Monk...just curious if it's true the prot warrior pop is lower than those others (besides monk), and if so, why is that? Is it cuz they take more skill to mitigate dmg than a pally or dk? Just curious, TY!

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSGT View Post
    why is that?
    They are not fotm

Deleted
    Last time I checked, it was Pala>DK>Warrior>Druid>Monk on raiding tanks %. So you shouldn't see too many, but they are not dead last. Yet.

I'd say paladins, dks, then bears, then warriors/monks. I guess with self heals paladins and dks are a better choice. Personally I feel like the prot 2pc t15 should be baseline. Maybe they are using the set bonus as a bit of a test, fingers crossed.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shomari View Post
    I'd say paladins, dks, then bears, then warriors/monks. I guess with self heals paladins and dks are a better choice. Personally I feel like the prot 2pc t15 should be baseline. Maybe they are using the set bonus as a bit of a test, fingers crossed.
    Not sure prot warrior needs more buttons when compared to how other tanks operate.

Quote Originally Posted by Adudu View Post
    Not sure prot warrior needs more buttons when compared to how other tanks operate.
    Not saying that more buttons would be the answer but some sort of self heal that was available a little more frequently and actually did useful amounts of healing would be good. Warrior tank DPS is pretty bad, add to that no meaningful self healing and it's easier to understand why you don't see as many warrior tanks running around now.

During progress there is little reason to bring a warrior tank if you have other options. Pallys provide more Dmg mitigation, more damage, more healing. Dk's provide Grip/Aoe Grip, Monks provide Super mobility. Warrior brings little that a Dps warrior could bring instead.
    www.twitch.tv/xchrispottertvx
    Officer in the World First Guild Method.
    We are recruiting any exceptional players who want to play at a World first level.
    www.method.gg
    Currently playing healer (Resto Druid main).

Deleted
    Its very fight specific Imho, some fights are great for warrior, some are pretty crap
    For the last two bosses of ToT and for farm, having a pally able to hop in and tank the bosses was invaluable
    I ended up logging off my Paladin onto my warrior for Ra-Den though, just due to the fatal strike being a bit crap as paladin where sometimes he would delay the fatal strike by longer than Shield of the Righteous' duration
    With shield block, I had a lot more room for error but without being at the levels of totally cheesing it like a monk or druid

Its just little things like that which make certain tanks great for certain fights, warrior does have its fair share that its good at tbh

Quote Originally Posted by eddytheone View Post
    Its very fight specific Imho, some fights are great for warrior, some are pretty crap
    For the last two bosses of ToT and for farm, having a pally able to hop in and tank the bosses was invaluable
    I ended up logging off my Paladin onto my warrior for Ra-Den though, just due to the fatal strike being a bit crap as paladin where sometimes he would delay the fatal strike by longer than Shield of the Righteous' duration
    With shield block, I had a lot more room for error but without being at the levels of totally cheesing it like a monk or druid

Its just little things like that which make certain tanks great for certain fights, warrior does have its fair share that its good at tbh
    what bosses u think prot good at?
    the dmg prot does is really annoying me . its a +-30% difference with other tanks ( 10 man hc pov)
    i just dont get blizzard why wont they fix it. (better scaling with vengeance or something )

I rerolled warrior this patch to help the guild with banners/sunder. Palas are extremely popular due to a combination of high damage, free heals with the battle healer glyph, a lot of mitigation and things like solo-tanking durumu with the bubble+taunt trick.

From my experience, warrior tank damage is really under par. But imho, it's the others tanks damage that is too high. We are a warr, monk and pala as tanks - i am consistently behind so if it's not needed i switch to dps.

And they should fix this thing; all plate gear with parry/dodge gets sharded because no one wants it (given the fact they have reasonable gear already equipped); tanks search for the dps gear while tank gear is discarded.

I say the design is flawed somewhere.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Deleted
    When i team up with three random hunter but no rogue during LFD, does that mean everyone is playing hunter ... or nobody is playing rogue? Judging from recent LFR experience is as evident as judging from your recent LFD group compositions.

Warrior is still the most represented tanking class by far, don't get the wrong impression from the progression of top guilds (whose tend to min/max and bring FOTM choices). It's the iconic tanking class since vanilla and while there rised many competitors since Burning Crusade we still outnumber them in sheer numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Alonzo33 View Post
    the dmg prot does is really annoying me . its a +-30% difference with other tanks ( 10 man hc pov)
    i just dont get blizzard why wont they fix it. (better scaling with vengeance or something )
    Watch out for T16 when paladins start falling behind despite stacking haste like madmen because they also only scale with vengeance while monk, druid and deathknights all scale with weapondamage AND vengeance

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Alonzo33 View Post
    I would have to say its prot's utility and mobility that makes it good on bosses, for where DPS is a real issue the skull banner + shattering throw are pretty sick
    Mobility wise its pretty decent on Lei-Shen, being able to deal with helm of command easily without a warlock portal, Animus due to being able to leap out of a ring if the soaker gets swapped, Megaera due to being able to mocking banner the double add waves ^^ Just little things like that really :P Of course I agree that paladin is ahead on most, but warrior does have its place... also the added benefit that if I WAS regularly playing my paladin my guild would moan even more about being topped by a tank :P

I would say, just endure and hope for best in T16. For now you cannot blame healers, others asking Paladin to take more onto himself and getting more vengeance from it (who doesn't like more healing and damage to kill boss faster?). Let them feel special for now, like you all did feel on for example Illidan and this all might just change in T16 (hopefully blizzard will wake up finally that other tank classes are stacking crit,haste and any damage stat possible to get more damage etc).

I still think Warriors are pretty strong if given chance too.. although have to try harder then others.

There not quite up to par with pallys or dks atm :/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Toxariz View Post
    There not quite up to par with pallys or monks atm :/
    ftfy, dks aren't too hot right now either. There's a reason blizz is giving both classes riposte.

Who knows. I was a prot warrior from lvl 15-75. Quit because gear started to matter at my lvl (which I had none at the time). I rarely see prot warrior's now in days when I do dungeons. Don't know why, but there is nothing wrong with them IMO, besides healing abilities that is...

Warriors are one of the harder tanks to play effectively with the least reward. IF you want to cheese go pally/dk

I see mostly paladins and DKs. I also see a fair share of warriors and monks.

I've only seen 1 guardian druid, however, in the last few months. I would think druids would be the least popular tanks, solely based on what I've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by klausistklaus View Post
    Warrior is still the most represented tanking class by far
    looking at raid bots for overall data (the % of role thingy) warrior tanks are:
    LFR - third, behind Palas and DKs
    10N - third behind Palas and DKs
    25N - second behind Palas
    10H - fourth behind Palas, DKs and monks
    25H - second behind Palas

of course not everyone runs WoL, but I really don't think a disproportional number of guilds with warrior tanks don't use WoL