Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Rift's animations and performance.

Particularly spell animations are just so lame and bad. Also I'm getting massive FPS drops when around 4-5 players with only 50% GPU usage. From what I can gather, the game seems nice, made it to level 35 so far, but those animations and the performance

Performance is not the best, yea. Rift is kind of a beast of a game to run at high settings.

Some of the later game events are close to or are unplayable for many of my guild mates. It seems a common complaint on the forums too.

Spell animations are of no matter to me. Don't even look at my character in combat in games. Just the numbers and indicators. XD

Quote Originally Posted by Pootis View Post
    Particularly spell animations are just so lame and bad. Also I'm getting massive FPS drops when around 4-5 players with only 50% GPU usage. From what I can gather, the game seems nice, made it to level 35 so far, but those animations and the performance
    As far a performance goes, check your settings or upgrade your computer? I rarely notice a FPS drop in rift, and when I do it is always in a massive zone event (think Volan). One thing that you might want to try is turn off other players spell effects.

Deleted
    Well Rift has always been badly optimized. Can't say anything about the animations because they look nice when fully maxed out gfx.
    They do look utter shit if you have to play on low / medium setting like i do!

The issue with RIFT is is not very GPU dependant, its more CPU dependant. The problem with this, is that they dont have it able to take advantage of multiple cores at once. I often see the game maxing out only 1 of my 8 CPU cores and it makes me cry.

Warrior - Twitch - Twitter Sig by: Isilrien

When you say spell animations, do you mean the animation of the character casting the spell, or the look of the spell's effects? Because I actually enjoy the Rift spell casting animations, as they are different depending on what weapon you are using (wielding a staff is different than a 1-hand + totem/shield). But yeah, Rift isn't very well optimized when it comes to performance. And it makes me wonder why the hell Trion hasn't done anything about this in the 27 months since release.

for the animations i just can link wockys video here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2XcrWTHguI

and personaly i like the animations from my mage ok i just play chloro and pyro but pyro is just nice could look at it all day

I really like the animation where a spellcaster equipped with a book off-hand is sorta reading their spellbook and then casting the ability. That's cool.

However, I think most melee animations are pretty whatever. The exception being the Bahmi 2h weapon animation where you sorta flip the weapon from one hand to the other. Also, cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Pachycrocuta View Post
    When you say spell animations, do you mean the animation of the character casting the spell, or the look of the spell's effects? Because I actually enjoy the Rift spell casting animations, as they are different depending on what weapon you are using (wielding a staff is different than a 1-hand + totem/shield). But yeah, Rift isn't very well optimized when it comes to performance. And it makes me wonder why the hell Trion hasn't done anything about this in the 27 months since release.
    The animation for the character casting the spell. I play a Rogue and the animations are just terrible, abysmal stuff. Very stiff and unnatural. I don't even see the actualy spell animations becouse I need to turn the graphics down to medium/low to get playable framerates with a i7 950 and an AMD 6870.

Quote Originally Posted by Pootis View Post
    The animation for the character casting the spell. I play a Rogue and the animations are just terrible, abysmal stuff. Very stiff and unnatural. I don't even see the actualy spell animations becouse I need to turn the graphics down to medium/low to get playable framerates with a i7 950 and an AMD 6870.
    I have an I7-930 and AMD 5970 and see all the animation on my rogue with graphics turned to high and have no real frame rate issues barring the recent lag or world events.

Quote Originally Posted by Clymene View Post
    I have an I7-930 and AMD 5970 and see all the animation on my rogue with graphics turned to high and have no real frame rate issues barring the recent lag or world events.
    Depends what people find right for them. For me, anything less than 60 FPS is bad. I can handle lower FPS on big events but for regular play I'd like 60+ FPS.

Vertical sync > 60 fps. Go for fluid play, not max frames. Make is so your screen refreshes all at once, this way you will notice less chop. As for your hardware problem, try updating your drivers and your AMD Profiles. These have to be done separately.

10+ Year Old Account
    One of my complaints about the game concerned the animations not syncing to their damage done. Like damage would just tick and my character would not have even swung. Another issue is that the swings themselves seemed hallow and didn't have any weight behind them. It was much more noticable as a melee vs. a ranged. I did like the casting animations though, specifically while wielding a staff.

I used to care about fps more ... but I found that as long as the frames are smooth, even in the 20s I find it looks good (hint: movies, all movies, have traditionally been at 24 fps, your digital television programs today are going to be at most 30 fps; so if you 'need' 60, you must hate the way all programming of any genre looks, period).

I don't like melee, so I rarely if ever play it. I cannot comment properly on how melee looks as a core ... but the occasional times I have been in melee and swung, it looked just fine to me, whether on my mage or warrior. I have played both warlock and pyro, and enjoy the casting animations as well as the spell effects. I play ranged rogue and find the gun and bow animations and effects to be great to me.

I have a 2500k and a 560 Ti, but the gpu is having seizures just browsing the net sometimes; random crashes, and can't find a driver that it doesn't happen ... so i have it underclocked and the fan set to permanently run high.

I can run the game on max, but it can get a bit overwhelmed, so I tend to just set it to trion's max, instead of user custom all sliders to max. I don't notice any choppyness, even if/when my fps drops down around 20s, without vsync.

It may not be optimized well, but it sure doesn't run that bad either.

If you personally just don't like your combat animations, not much they can do; I'm sure there are plenty that do like them ... being opinions and all. As others pointed out, make sure to turn off others spell animations if you have problems in 'groups'. Adjust your settings around to min/max the game for your PC. It doesn't take that long, and you'll have an overall better experience by taking those few minutes out, instead of being upset about it.

How do you turn off other player's animations? I can't seem to find the option for that.

Interface > Combat > Hide other player's Hit FX (hides particle effects when other players hit their target)

Mouse over a lot of the settings in the video advanced section ... certain things may not matter to you, allowing you to turn others up. Distances/radius, clutter, and particle density, shader quality ... fine tuning those for your personal visual preference helps.

If you are scrolled out but always angled down, then a lot of the distance and radius can be turned way down, since you aren't really looking out far anyway ... wasted resources.

You probably don't need particle density at 750

Determine how much shadows affect your immersion. Turn them off if you don't care/notice. Shadows are one of the biggest hits to MMO performance, no matter the specific game.

10+ Year Old Account
    rifts fps/ performance is my biggest problem with the game >.< kinda sucky that setting the graphics between low and max only slightly effects my performance >.<

The performance in most MMO's comes from your CPU choice more than GPU.
    I have an i7 and get close to 60FPS on Ultra. Most gamers seem to have gone the reco'd route of an i5 with a high end GPU since for PC games other than MMO's that's the best bang for your buck.

Quote Originally Posted by WarpedAcorn View Post
    One of my complaints about the game concerned the animations not syncing to their damage done. Like damage would just tick and my character would not have even swung. Another issue is that the swings themselves seemed hallow and didn't have any weight behind them. It was much more noticable as a melee vs. a ranged. I did like the casting animations though, specifically while wielding a staff.
    I'm not sure if it's my system or network, but the asynchronicity between dmg numbers and animation for melee is what makes me slightly mental while playing. I don't experience this in the other games listed in my sig. Other than that, love the detail the devs put in the game in terms of textures and general animations.
    Currently playing: GW, TORTANIC.
    Still visit: TSW, W*, GW2, Rift, LOTRO, ESO.
    Endure. In enduring, grow strong.

yeah, i think the animations need to be worked on for/before 3.0. as far as i can tell, every race as the same/mostly the same animations. and not to mention the tempest has a few animation bugs.