Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Pourekos View Post
    Random question: does this game offer dual spec or anything similar?
    depends

as a subscriber you can respec for free at the trainer as much was you want, as a f2p player you'll need to pay a fee that rises every time you respec. its reset to 0 after a week though.

there is also the possibility for a one time fee of (I think) 200 000 credits to purchase the ability to respec wherever you want, witthout the help of a trainer, its called field respec or something like that

so you dont have a comfortable dual spec setup, but as a subscriber, with the fiel respec ability, you can respecc whenver and was much you want.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by moff View Post
    so you dont have a comfortable dual spec setup, but as a subscriber, with the fiel respec ability, you can respecc whenver and was much you want.
    Field respect is great. I use this to respect in Huttball from Deception to Darkness so I can be a better ball carrier (and pull is probably the best offensive tool in Huttball). It takes me about 30sec to respect and switch my keybinds around. Dual spec would make it quicker and easier, but Field Respec works really well too.

Quote Originally Posted by Pourekos View Post
    Ok, since you made me miss some parts of SWTOR and might give it another go, I will ask a few questions if that's ok

a) I never really did an empire character and if/when I get back I will probably start one of the sith classes. Considering the action-bar limitations for F2P/prefered players, which one would give me less of a headache to play with?
    b) What are the restrictions for pvp for f2p/prefered players, especially for the 10-49 bracket?
    c) One of my mid-level characters was decked in orange gear from pvp when I left- are F2P players allowed to use orange gear?

Thanks!

P.S. for anyone going to TSW, make sure you have a descent computer and give it some time, it can be a slow starter. Have fun either way :-)

Edit: nevermind, I found the answer to b) on their webpage.
    a) inquisitor in my experience; my maurader had a ton of abilities ... but alas! you can buy action bar slots (toon and account wide) on the GTN (AH), usually relatively cheap (70k last I checked; search: unlock ... you can make 1-200k credits from one planet of dailies with ease, which is 10-20 mins alone or group up with someone when you and your companion are undergeared; finding a guildie to help out makes it faster, and you can be social ).

b) on that note, almost all the restrictions can be lifted with in game credits you earn from dailies ... from character slots, to cargo bays, action bars to stupid stuff that shouldn't be locked out ... you can't affect your 350k credit cap ... so a planet or two of dailies, head back to GTN, buy more unlocks!!! let the whales pay EA, while you just play and earn all your goodies. Within a week, you should have quite a bit of things unlocked where your QoL will be on par with preferred/subs.

c) you might have to get the authorization (for credits on gtn) to switch out to better (purple) mods at max level ... blue quality is more than enough for leveling.

Most importantly, don't think about the restrictions, just let yourself get immersed. The leveling and story are great in this game, probably the best in any MMO. All the restrictions can be bought for in game credits besides the credit cap itself. It is worth the price of admission (free).

10+ Year Old Account
    I've been thinking of trying Swtor again, but something is holding me back.
    It might be the fact there still no continuation for the story or companion story and I really loved them.
    Just not sure if it's worth going back to since I haven't get the exp and so won't be raiding any time soon.
    Atm I'm still playing WoW with a grp of friends casual like and play several other mmo's like GW2 or Rift rly dunno whaT 2 do :S

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaphiron View Post
    rly dunno whaT 2 do :S
    Gotta play them all. That's my advice. You can go through phases where you uninstall, reinstall, swear off a game, swear devotion to a game, w/e....but you should just play them all.

This is the greatest part of F2P games. You are able to choose how and when you want to play any game. While you might fall behind on a lot of things, it basically guarantees you will always have something to work on. No more complaints of MMOs being stale, having no content etc.

When you split yourself between 3-10 MMOs, you will never run out of stuff to do. However, to maximize your time in any MMO you will have to focus. That's why I recommend just cycling through them. Currently I'm subbed to WoW, play SWTOR, Rift, and Firefall.
    BAD WOLF

What sucks as SWTOR being "free to play" is that once you hit 50, you're pretty much done with the game. There isn't anything left to do unless you drop the $20 on ROTHC.

I've actually been playing Rift since it went F2P. Spent $5 on a boxed game and got a huge number of perks. Really liking this game, great F2P model also imho.

I might play SWTOR again sometime if they make stuff to do as a F2P.

Quote Originally Posted by ariakul View Post
    What sucks as SWTOR being "free to play" is that once you hit 50, you're pretty much done with the game. There isn't anything left to do unless you drop the $20 on ROTHC.

I've actually been playing Rift since it went F2P. Spent $5 on a boxed game and got a huge number of perks. Really liking this game, great F2P model also imho.

I might play SWTOR again sometime if they make stuff to do as a F2P.
    Sure there are things to do, you can run WZ or do FP, the only issues you will run into is not being able to do ranked pvp. Sure they put limits on things but you can spend cartel coins to get around many of them. It is a free game they have to get ppl to pay for some of the stuff, they are in the business of making money.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, F2P is stretching it a bit. It's also why I felt the need to resubscribe in order to actually enjoy the game. Leveling characters is more or less unaffected by not paying, up to 50 like you noted. I started playing SWTOR again leveling a new character, but since then I've abandoned my alts in order to play my main again.

I've done a couple of Ops and generally tried to do as many dailies as possible to earn rep and credits. They definitely have enough content to keep you occupied, but admittedly resorting to dailies is cheap and the way they have them positioned is not efficient. It's a huge flaw in RotHC. I'd still rather do old dailies for money, but they don't have the new reps tied to them. Honestly it's just the travel time and how disconnected the world is that utterly kills dailies in this game.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    Sure there are things to do, you can run WZ or do FP, the only issues you will run into is not being able to do ranked pvp. Sure they put limits on things but you can spend cartel coins to get around many of them. It is a free game they have to get ppl to pay for some of the stuff, they are in the business of making money.
    Um, don't they have the 5 WZ per week restriction still? Don't you PVP also stuck at level 50 vs. people level 55? As a f2p, you're done after your class story.

Like I said, I ran out of things to do in game. I got everything unlocked too. Been playing Rift as f2p, much better imho.

10+ Year Old Account
    Um, don't they have the 5 WZ per week restriction still? Don't you PVP also stuck at level 50 vs. people level 55? As a f2p, you're done after your class story.
    Yes, that response is a little embellished but clearly says the way around it is cartel coins (ie spending money)
    Like I said, I ran out of things to do in game. I got everything unlocked too. Been playing Rift as f2p, much better imho.
    As a model? Of course. SWTOR would be a much better model and probably have more players if it had gone that route. As for the actual content of the game, obviously subjective. I like both games, but Rift gets just as tedious and repetitive at the end game. I don't think it has better art either, though it is a completely different aesthetic so it's hard to talk about that.

Anywho, this doesn't really need to be a comparison thread...but it's pretty much a moot point to talk about SWTOR's model not being very friendly. We've all known that since the beginning. If you treat it like a single player leveling game, you can get a lot of enjoyment for nothing.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    Yes, that response is a little embellished but clearly says the way around it is cartel coins (ie spending money)

As a model? Of course. SWTOR would be a much better model and probably have more players if it had gone that route. As for the actual content of the game, obviously subjective. I like both games, but Rift gets just as tedious and repetitive at the end game. I don't think it has better art either, though it is a completely different aesthetic so it's hard to talk about that.

Anywho, this doesn't really need to be a comparison thread...but it's pretty much a moot point to talk about SWTOR's model not being very friendly. We've all known that since the beginning. If you treat it like a single player leveling game, you can get a lot of enjoyment for nothing.
    Oh ya, all MMO's imho get tedious and repetitive. I like the art work in SWTOR also, that was never an issue when I played.

Like I said, I dinged 50 on a couple toons (BH, Inquisitor, Knight) and there was nothing left to do but level another toon to see their story line.

Also an off-topic: I was STOKED when I saw they are working on the Warhammer 40k MMO again! (crosses fingers: please be better than Warhammer Online!)

If you stay at lvl 50 then you would be pvping against ppl from 10 to 54. You can buy unlocks for more WZ time from the GTN or with CC, but again if you don't want to pay with real or fake money you kinda get what you get. If you have no intent of spending any money why would they do anything to make the playing time better for you?
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    why would they do anything to make the playing time better for you?
    This isn't the thread for this sort of discussion, but the answer to your question has been reiterated multiple times when this game first transitioned. There are several reasons why just about every other company does F2P differently.

Going to go back to enjoying the game in peace and quit thinking about this now.
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    There is a Warzone restriction, but you can buy passes on the GTN to unlock unlimited play. Its tedious in that its extra work, but you can get the money to pay for the passes in about 30min worth of Daily Missions.

PvP at 50 means you will be playing in the 31-54 Bracket. Your only distinct disadvantage is the lack of having your Level 51 ability (which is pretty rad on most every class). However, you most assuredly aren't at a disadvantage.

I do agree though, you miss out on a lot if you do not subscribe or buy the "expansion".

Deleted
    I've gone back to SWTOR as a preferred player. Was thinking about subscribing but at the moment am more interested in leveling alts than doing the end-game gear grind on my main, so bought some unlocks rather than a subscription.

Are the WZ, FP and space combat limits per week for F2P per account or per character? Strangely the only one that feels binding is that on space missions. As a subscriber, I did a ton of those (very good XP and a nice change of pace).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by econ21 View Post
    Are the WZ, FP and space combat limits per week for F2P per account or per character? Strangely the only one that feels binding is that on space missions. As a subscriber, I did a ton of those (very good XP and a nice change of pace).
    I'm honestly not sure, as I've never tried, but I'm pretty sure the text specifically states on your character. Honestly they are the largest reason why you 'have' to buy a subscription. And you aren't the only one who felt the pinch on space when leveling alts.

It's honestly what made me follow the path to resubscribing. As silly as it sounds, because space isn't mind blowing, but it was it is. I'm enjoying my time, obviously.
    BAD WOLF

Deleted
    I've gone back to SWTOR as a preferred player. Was thinking about subscribing but at the moment am more interested in leveling alts than doing the end-game gear grind on my main, so bought some unlocks rather than a subscription.
    If I may, I think it would have been a better deal for you to sub instead of buying unlocks.
    The sub would have given you the 25% xp boost over the f2p/Preferred players (not sure of the percentage, though) and would have lifted the credits cap. (on top of other things such as the emergency fleet pass, mounts at level 15, free respec, free monthly cartel coins, ...)
    With no credits cap, you can pretty much buy all the unlocks at the GTN without spending a single dime IRL.

I'm currently subscribed but I already have all unlocks waiting in my cargo for when "that day" comes

The WZ, FP and space missions weekly limits are per character

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    And that is completely understandable. I didn't burn myself out on other classes because I honestly felt like you did when I was playing before. I couldn't get an alt past level 30 because of the side quests. It felt like it was the most interesting and most boring leveling I had ever done...it was very weird.
    I can agree with this. Alderaan is where it always started to go sideways for me. I could get through Tatooine but even there it started to have some long horse rides. The way I always described it was "I get a speeder, I go twice as fast, but, I have to travel 3 times as far." And the game had a handful of annoying things to me but mainly the GTN, even though it was a 1000 times better than release, just wasn't good enough. I'm too used to auctionator setting the prices without me having to look them up.

That said, I was watching some pvp videos and I remembered that I really liked some things.

1. Even though it has a lot of CC, it's not too much CC compared to today's WOW.

2. I liked Huttball.

3. I liked the feel of most classes and there was no BG / WZ like AV that is a pure honor zerg.

4. It had it's pvp player base problem, especially, especially, especially, at release, but it still seemed better than WOW. Premades at max level might change my opinion though.

The other thing which I really liked is that you could switch to your off-spec, say turn your commando into a healer, and you didn't have to spend money on starter gear, chase a weapon, and grind out a pvp set. You can easily wind up with 4 sets, or more, of gear in WOW if your off spec is healing and you both PVE and PVP.

I came back for a bit a few months ago and didn't stay around. It wasn't really the fault of the game, more my personal situation, but I can see playing it again. It's a long way from terrible.