1. #1

    Whats the deal with Twitch.tv?

    Can't find to much information on the interwebz other than "it could be they were hacked".

    Anyone have a link to some further information about this? Perhaps a twitter or something?

  2. #2
    Looking forward to: Tomb Raider (2015), Doom, Bloodborne, Tom Clancy: Division and The Evil Within

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Charecters View Post
    Soooo not really any information

    All well thanks.

  4. #4
    Herald of the Titans Theodon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2,818
    Apparently there was a bug with the login servers that was causing people to randomly log in as other users, so they took the server down and reset the passwords.

    http://blog.twitch.tv/2013/06/passwo...y-reset-alert/
    It's always been Wankershim!
    My Brand!

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodon View Post
    Apparently there was a bug with the login servers that was causing people to randomly log in as other users, so they took the server down and reset the passwords.

    http://blog.twitch.tv/2013/06/passwo...y-reset-alert/
    Uh huh

    sounds legit

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Alcsaar View Post
    Can't find to much information on the interwebz other than "it could be they were hacked".

    Anyone have a link to some further information about this? Perhaps a twitter or something?
    It doesn't seem like they were hacked. You can find their official blog post about it here: http://blog.twitch.tv/2013/06/passwo...y-reset-alert/

    There were reports of other people accidentally being logged into other accounts. Say you logged into yours and it somehow logged you into someone elses with no other effort on your part.

    Most likely what has happened is that the CDN got out of sync with the actual Twitch servers. When you log in you are probably assigned a session number from the main servers and request actual data from the CDN, but if the CDN is out of sync it will give you whatever data matches your session number which in this case led to you appearing to be logged into someone elses account, albeit with out of date content. They mentioned on Twitter that you were not able to alter anyone elses information which I am inclined to believe at the moment because if the CDN was out of sync it would have eventually resynced to the master servers and erased any changes you made to the other persons account with more up to date information.

    The main issue at hand here is that people were able to see things like PMs and broadcast statistics if they happen to be logged in to a popular broadcaster's account.

    I am no expert on the issue of course but that is how I understand how things have happened. People seem to be jumping onto the hacked bandwagon because of the odd nature of people being placed into other peoples accounts and the old maintenance picture was a pirate flag with the title hacked.jpg or something along those lines.

    I have heard of similar incidences happening with Google's Gmail but they occur on a much smaller scale. I suppose it just goes to highlight another issue with cloud services that hopefully will be resolved.

    Here are a few of the tweets they sent out:
    http://www.twitter.com/TwitchTVSuppo...80688082034688
    http://www.twitter.com/TwitchTVSuppo...02456138104832
    http://www.twitter.com/TwitchTV/stat...68215018856449

  7. #7
    Personally, I blame the LoL streams. Kappa

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Personally, I blame the LoL streams. Kappa
    Why do people say "Kappa" outside of the twitch chat? It's pointless without the emote!
    Testing: Will probably be toooooo big.

  9. #9
    Probably the server admins are drunk again. FailFish

  10. #10
    Herald of the Titans starkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Planet Caravan
    Posts
    2,906
    twitch stole blizzard's catch phrase Soon
    You are lying! I never hit you! YOU ARE TEARING ME APART, LISA!

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodon View Post
    Apparently there was a bug with the login servers that was causing people to randomly log in as other users, so they took the server down and reset the passwords.

    http://blog.twitch.tv/2013/06/passwo...y-reset-alert/
    Quote Originally Posted by Tholaan View Post
    It doesn't seem like they were hacked. You can find their official blog post about it here: http://blog.twitch.tv/2013/06/passwo...y-reset-alert/

    There were reports of other people accidentally being logged into other accounts. Say you logged into yours and it somehow logged you into someone elses with no other effort on your part.

    Most likely what has happened is that the CDN got out of sync with the actual Twitch servers. When you log in you are probably assigned a session number from the main servers and request actual data from the CDN, but if the CDN is out of sync it will give you whatever data matches your session number which in this case led to you appearing to be logged into someone elses account, albeit with out of date content. They mentioned on Twitter that you were not able to alter anyone elses information which I am inclined to believe at the moment because if the CDN was out of sync it would have eventually resynced to the master servers and erased any changes you made to the other persons account with more up to date information.

    The main issue at hand here is that people were able to see things like PMs and broadcast statistics if they happen to be logged in to a popular broadcaster's account.

    I am no expert on the issue of course but that is how I understand how things have happened. People seem to be jumping onto the hacked bandwagon because of the odd nature of people being placed into other peoples accounts and the old maintenance picture was a pirate flag with the title hacked.jpg or something along those lines.

    I have heard of similar incidences happening with Google's Gmail but they occur on a much smaller scale. I suppose it just goes to highlight another issue with cloud services that hopefully will be resolved.

    Here are a few of the tweets they sent out:
    http://www.twitter.com/TwitchTVSuppo...80688082034688
    http://www.twitter.com/TwitchTVSuppo...02456138104832
    http://www.twitter.com/TwitchTV/stat...68215018856449
    Uhm, interesting.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •