Page 1 of 10
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1

    Wow is not a roleplaying game

    WoW is categorizes as massive multiplayer online roleplaying game. But in reality, WoW is an sport game, like NHL-series or something along those lines. People play wow to compete with everyone else, people want to be superior to others by achieving raid boss kills before everyone else, or they want to get good ratings in arena. The whole wow is centered around peoples own need to compete with others. Game is full of minmaxing to get the win. The leveling part of the game is just hinderance.

    I do not see anything roleplay-related in wow, but instead it fits perfectly in the sport game genre.
    Last edited by Cle; 2013-09-08 at 07:23 PM.

  2. #2
    The Lightbringer Moon Blade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Behind her rifle, in that tree you just passed.
    Posts
    3,314
    Maybe you should go to an RP server?
    If it's not an elf, leave it on the shelf.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Blade View Post
    Maybe you should go to an RP server?
    I am not a roleplayer.

  4. #4
    The Lightbringer Moon Blade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Behind her rifle, in that tree you just passed.
    Posts
    3,314
    Quote Originally Posted by Cle View Post
    I am not a roleplayer.
    And therefore you've invalidated your entire post. There's plenty of things roleplay related in wow. You're not a roleplayer so you're oblivious to them.
    If it's not an elf, leave it on the shelf.

  5. #5
    Old God Frozenbeef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Uk - England
    Posts
    10,099
    Maybe your just hanging around with the wrong crowd? The closest i get to competing with people is bg 0o I just tend to hang out in goldshire/ outside sw and talk :S

  6. #6
    As a roleplayer, I disagree.




    That is all.
    Quote Originally Posted by leaks View Post
    Well it's good to see the keyboard activists in full effect. Doing the laziest, most asinine thing they could think of off the top of their heads and calling it justice while making no difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by C9H20
    Blizzard effectively wants to have its cake and eat it too by pretending to have this groundbreaking war in a faction capital while at the same time being completely unwilling to portray logical consequences of such an event.

  7. #7
    The point of this thread is to discuss about why wow is categorized as mmorpg while its not roleplaying to in reality, but a sport game.

    You could argue that NHL is rpg game because people are free to believe that they are part of the nhl team or something.

  8. #8
    What constitutes role-playing in your opinion?

    Having actual sports in WoW is a neat idea though. WoW-versions of football or soccer. You could get teams to represent the various races - Gnomregan Ankle-Biters, Undercity Brain-Eaters... Fold it into PvP and add all kinds of rad new rewards. Beer helmets... Mascot pets... Ooo, fist weapons that are those giant foam finger gloves!!

  9. #9
    The Lightbringer Moon Blade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Behind her rifle, in that tree you just passed.
    Posts
    3,314
    Quote Originally Posted by Cle View Post
    The point of this thread is to discuss about why wow is categorized as mmorpg while its not roleplaying to in reality, but a sport game.

    You could argue that NHL is rpg game because people are free to believe that they are part of the nhl team or something.
    No, they can't. Wow is a roleplaying game. Just because you don't roleplay and prefer to min-max and do all sorts of other trivial crap cause you think it'll help you down a boss faster doesn't mean other players don't take it easy, don't concern themselves with gearing or maxing our their toons and prefer instead of generate their own lore-based enclaves with like-minded players and roleplay in a fantasy world.
    If it's not an elf, leave it on the shelf.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Cle View Post
    I am not a roleplayer.
    While I some what agree that WOW has less focus on the RPG side and more on the MMO side, that doesn't mean there isn't RP aspects to it, even if you are avoiding it/haven't seen it. Blizzard has just moved them away from people who do not like that side of the game. RP servers are for those who are very attached to their characters, and see them as an extension of themselves, not just something they log on to to get world firsts or raid with. People on RP servers do raid, but it's not all they are concerned with. They prefer to work on their character's interaction with the world and the denizens found therein.

    I would welcome more RPG aspects to the game. Subraces would be a good start, or at the least the character skin options that are the same as sub racing.
    -How would a untainted orc (brown skin) view the world differently from a tainted orc (green skin), or even a dragonmaw orc (greyish black skin), almost all of the current orc skin options are varying shades of green. There might be one whiteish skin, but there is difinitely no brown skin option.
    -How would a Ice tauren (taunka) fair in the warmer climates of Azeroth?
    -Wildhammer and Dark Iron dwarves are now welcomed additions to the Alliance, yet you cannot create one (or a dwarf that looks like one), If I made a Dark Iron dwarf would the other dwarves in Ironforge be weary of my presence there given the history of my people, or would they tolerate me.

    More than one way to do some of the quests would be great too. Almost all quests boil down to kill X or collect Y, why do I not have the option of saying I killed X (who then may or may not return later), or presenting fake versions of Y to the NPC, keeping the real ones for myself, giving them to someone else, or selling them for a profit, or even making the orginal NPC buy them off me instead!
    Last edited by Cernunnos; 2013-09-08 at 07:41 PM.
    My name is Cernunnos, I will love you like no other, I have died a thousand deaths, each time I died I thought of you.

  11. #11
    You do make a good point, game developers realized long ago that a sense of competition between human beings can create an addictive quality in games. We are moving more towards having in game 'leader boards' and other ways of expressing this competition, since originally (aside from arena) there wasn't much actual integration. The whole concept of the 'world first' pve race was created by players since it did not officially exist in game.
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    There is not a flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people. -Howard Zinn
    If trickle down economics is working, it's only because there is a damn leak somewhere! -The One Percent

  12. #12
    The Lightbringer Ermahgerd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    3,233
    WoW is a sport game? Dafuq. By your post every game is a "sport" game then. Lots of people are competitive because it's in the human nature. Lots of people simply want the best for their characters without being competitive either. Doesn't make it... I don't even know; a "sport" game.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Blade View Post
    No, they can't. Wow is a roleplaying game. Just because you don't roleplay and prefer to min-max and do all sorts of other trivial crap cause you think it'll help you down a boss faster doesn't mean other players don't take it easy, don't concern themselves with gearing or maxing our their toons and prefer instead of generate their own lore-based enclaves with like-minded players and roleplay in a fantasy world.
    That would be like saying a kid who plays in the little league is roleplaying Derek Jeter. The game is a character builder where your character strength is determined by loot, not how well your RP. There is no RPing built into the game, however there are ranking systems.
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    There is not a flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people. -Howard Zinn
    If trickle down economics is working, it's only because there is a damn leak somewhere! -The One Percent

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Mokaproductionist View Post
    Then what does the MMORPG stand for?
    Its simply void

  15. #15
    Pit Lord Huntaer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Goldshire
    Posts
    2,256
    This topic makes no sense >.>

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Cle View Post
    Its simply void
    Why? Theres RP realms, and then u go like "oh im no roleplayer", dafuq is with your logic
    ●████▅▅▄▄▄▄▄▄....▄▄▄ Rolf! Rolf! Rolf!
    ▄▄▅██████▅▄▃▂
    █M█L█P█ █ █ █ █ █ █►
    ◥☼▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲☼◤
    -\My pet collection/- -\My Mount collection/-

  16. #16
    I have a character on an RP server and I can tell you that there's more to WoW than raiding and pvping. Just stay out of Goldshire.

  17. #17
    Dreadlord Ironjaws-Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    A forest in Sweden
    Posts
    853
    Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    That would be like saying a kid who plays in the little league is roleplaying Derek Jeter. The game is a character builder where your character strength is determined by loot, not how well your RP. There is no RPing built into the game, however there are ranking systems.
    There is RP built into the game however, all cut-scenes and such is considering RPs, all quests you do etc is considering RPG elements. Even if you dont care about and just jump over it, doesn't mean its not there.

  18. #18
    The Patient sourmonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Silvermoon City Casino and Strip Club
    Posts
    283
    Quote Originally Posted by Cle View Post
    WoW is categorizes as massive multiplayer online roleplaying game. But in reality, WoW is an sport game, like NHL-series or something along those lines. People play wow to compete with everyone else, people want to be superior to others by achieving raid boss kills before everyone else, or they want to get good ratings in arena. The whole wow is centered around peoples own need to compete with others. Game is full of minmaxing to get the win. The leveling part of the game is just hinderance.

    I do not see anything roleplay-related in wow, but instead it fits perfectly in the sport game genre.
    It's in the eye of the beholder to be honest . I play wow I raid I pvp but I don't do it to compete there's no time limit no referee no crowd Cheering anyone on its you on a computer playing lines of coding represented in a graphical interface therefore you are role playing or are you a wizard in real life cause if your a wizard playing a wizard that's not role playing your being who you are
    Last edited by sourmonkey; 2013-09-08 at 07:42 PM.

  19. #19
    Damn, that means I have to delete my Argent Crusade-affiliated Paladin and my neutral Tushui Monk?

    Joke aside, it's a Cle thread, he isn't looking for a debate, he will troll his idea all over the thread. That's all.
    Last edited by Tauror; 2013-09-08 at 07:41 PM.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Cle View Post
    I do not see anything roleplay-related in wow, but instead it fits perfectly in the sport game genre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cle View Post
    I am not a roleplayer.
    I think you have said everything you need to say.

    /thread
    "Gauging the health of a game by reading its forums is akin to gauging the health of a community by visiting its hospitals." - Ghostcrawler quoting someone else.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •