Canadian in the United S

Well, I just need to rant to someone. So I'll do it on a public forum since its a general off topic.

I am a dual citizen, but seeing as a grew up in Canada I am Canadian. My opinion of the United States has been permanently changed in one instant yesterday afternoon. In this instant an event occurred in which I had essentially half of my wealth in belongings stolen from my room, the other half being my car that I had left in Canada. After all, I am a 20 year old.

So unfortunately in this wonderful experience I have lost my laptop albeit it was an older Macbook Pro with ventilation issues- one that was dual booting Win7 for the many games I enjoyed to play. Being a 20 year old flight student, it is not getting replaced, even if it was it would in all likelihood be with a Windows computer. I also lost my Canadian i-Phone, which was turned off and in airplane mode. I am more upset that they stole my phone, I had already planned to travel back home on July 3rd, I kind of need to be able to call my drive to let them know I'm in Halifax. In addition I lost several credit cards, so even if I wanted to change my flight to an earlier date again, it wouldn't be worth it. I've already lost enough money on this trip, and more than anything just want to wind down and play a little bit of WoW.

And yes, my room was locked, and yes the burglars were stupid, they could have stolen my American Identity. They didn't even take the charger with them. And yes this was yesterday.

/endstupidrant

Deleted
    Thefts happen everywhere, even in Canada.

So.... no crime in Canada? I'm moving there.

There is no crime in Canada? Why am I just learning of this now?

Where I live in Canada, the mindset is all on boos, not theft. Most people are pretty well distracted by this. Then again, I also live in the forest.

10+ Year Old Account
    No crime. Very few guns either. We like it that way

10+ Year Old Account
    So you're a dual citizen raised Canadian who dislikes America now because some random punk stole your shit, as if theft if a uniquely American phenomenon? I don't follow your logic.

What?

Oh, and it's not like being a dual Canadian-American citizen means anything significant. That's almost like saying "I'm a dual Texas-Alaskan citizen."

---------- Post added 2013-06-22 at 05:53 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Methanar View Post
    No crime. Very few guns either. We like it that way
    Why are some Canadian so passive-aggressively smug and full of themselves? It's not like it's warranted. Even my Canadian cousin is an asshole, but I still love him. No crime in Canada? Please...

And why bring guns into it?
    In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.

@GreatOak, generally people are molded by experiences. I understand that you may not have been. I have yet to hear about thievery at home, in my community, and I'd be happy for it to stay this way. Especially knowing that most people's doors are unlocked.

Additionally. you cannot say you're a Texas-Alaskan citizen, mostly because the proper term would be resident. Resident of Alaska and Texas, as a citizen of the United States
    Last edited by Canadian Aviator; 2013-06-22 at 05:56 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatOak View Post
    And why bring guns into it?
    Because guns keep him awake at night.
    Men!

Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    I picked Biden because he may throw Obama into the Death Star's reactor core, restoring balance to the Force.

Now having a ball on SWTOR!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    There is no crime in Canada? Why am I just learning of this now?
    Everything in Canada is like America but 150x better. Drinking just 1 liter of Canadian water increases your IQ tenfold.

Haven't you heard?

http://whatsdifferentincanada.tumblr.com/

---------- Post added 2013-06-22 at 06:09 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Protekktor View Post
    @GreatOak, generally people are molded by experiences. I understand that you may not have been. I have yet to hear about thievery at home, in my community, and I'd be happy for it to stay this way. Especially knowing that most people's doors are unlocked.
    That's the same excuse racists use. Maybe you just live in a shitty area, because I've lived in areas replete with crime and areas without much crime at all. Want to know what seems to correlate with higher crime rates? Usually it is a combination of socioeconomic strife and unemployment.
    In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.

I was born in the southern USA and spent the first 25 years of my life there.

My father was born in Canada so I applied for dual citizenship and moved to southern Ontario for university.

I absolutely love it here in Canada and never look back. I happily want to spend the rest of my life here. Love the friendly people, no crime, no litter, no billboards, nice forests and farms close by, etc.

Makes me sad to visit home and see all the graffiti, rude people, homeless people, trashy buildings and areas.

OP: Sorry you had a bad experience but you'll be so glad to get home and appreciate it that much more, eh?

10+ Year Old Account
    As someone who spent a bit of his childhood in Canada, I can also testify to the fact that Canada has little to absolutely no crime whatsoever. Canada is actually an incredibly unique place that sadly most people don't realize the uniqueness of (such as the facts that it is more pluralistic and multicultural than the United States, yet has significantly less racism if any at all, and so on.)

@the OP, sorry to hear that that happened to you, hopefully you can replace most if not all of your stuff and hopefully your view of our country eventually improves once you move past this terrible incident.

10+ Year Old Account
    ...guess it's true, one always has to ruin it for the rest. At least when people let it.

I'm not sure what to say. I'm sorry you were robbed. That's a terrible feeling, regardless of where in the world it happens to you.

Doesn't really seem to BE much to say, as you've made up your mind and felt like sharing. I'm not really sure why any Canadian might imagine they'd prefer the US over Canada though. Seems kind of like a no brainer, unless you've more conservative leanings and thought the US might be a better fit?
    "Bananas, like people, sometimes look different when they are naked." Grace Helbig

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Aviator View Post
    In addition I lost several credit cards, so even if I wanted to change my flight to an earlier date again, it wouldn't be worth it.
    Why do people in America/Canada who are 20 yo have several creditcards?? Thats just rediculous.
    And you people wonder why you are all in debt.

The only reason i ever took one, is because you need it sometimes on holidays or something, or freakin paypal.
    Last edited by wickedbastard; 2013-06-24 at 08:36 AM.