Page 1 of 13
1
2
3
11
... LastLast
  1. #1
    The Lightbringer Bigbazz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    3,504

    Elitist player attitudes in Frostlord Ahune event : Opinions?

    TL,DR version : A thread about rude/aggressive/unfriendly player attitudes towards newly dinged players, your thoughts on it. Do you have this attitude too perhaps?


    So I logged on tonight at 2am to do this frostlord, the cloak is useful for my just dinged lvl90 hunter. The game allows me to queue dispite my low gear, meaning as expected (like in previous expansions) the boss is tuned to be easily beatable regardless of gear.

    I enter the instance and before the fight has even started I've been called a "low geared scrub" by the healer, the mage also then mentions he hates people with low gear. The fight starts and my pet is killed by the elite elemental, which is not being tanked by the tank. I mention "pet died, can you tank the elite" to which the healer replies "why the fuck should we care, turn off growl retard" to which I reply that growl wasn't on. The fight goes on with a complaint about the group dps from the healer, more complaining about low geared people being scrubs and then he comments "why can't people use their brains". At this point he mentions he will no longer heal the low dps, and mostly just stands around doing nothing.

    Mid fight I mention that this is my alt, and a semi conversation continues with me stating the logic that gear does not magically appear when you ding 90, and that the reason I was doing the easy event was for easy gear. Also that the only reason my damage is particularely low is due to the tank not holding agro on anything and mend pet not being enough to keep my pet alive when it is taking damage from multiple sources, I had to res my pet multiple times despite my best efforts to keep it alive.

    After some more insulting elitist comments the conversation stops and the fight continues until we beat the boss, the mage dps leaves stating that I "should go to hell and suck satans dick". Now this was not down to a bad playing experience, there were no wipes and nobody in the group died, I was called a brainless scrub who should suck a dick because I have an alt that just hit level 90 in blues/greens, and this started before the fight even began.


    What do you think? Are you one of the people who spits on those with low gear like they are some mindless scum of the universe? Or are you a logical and level headed person who can be understanding of other people? The reality of it is that gear has nothing to do with skill, but without gear you're severly limited, but it has to be earned and you have to start somewhere.
    I7 2600k @4.5ghz : 16GB DDR3 : GTX670 : Firestudio : Naga : G27

  2. #2
    Banned But I Hate You All's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The West Coast of the United States
    Posts
    1,993
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    TL,DR version : A thread about rude/aggressive/unfriendly player attitudes towards newly dinged players, your thoughts on it. Do you have this attitude too perhaps?


    So I logged on tonight at 2am to do this frostlord, the cloak is useful for my just dinged lvl90 hunter. The game allows me to queue dispite my low gear, meaning as expected (like in previous expansions) the boss is tuned to be easily beatable regardless of gear.

    I enter the instance and before the fight has even started I've been called a "low geared scrub" by the healer, the mage also then mentions he hates people with low gear. The fight starts and my pet is killed by the elite elemental, which is not being tanked by the tank. I mention "pet died, can you tank the elite" to which the healer replies "why the fuck should we care, turn off growl retard" to which I reply that growl wasn't on. The fight goes on with a complaint about the group dps from the healer, more complaining about low geared people being scrubs and then he comments "why can't people use their brains". At this point he mentions he will no longer heal the low dps, and mostly just stands around doing nothing.

    Mid fight I mention that this is my alt, and a semi conversation continues with me stating the logic that gear does not magically appear when you ding 90, and that the reason I was doing the easy event was for easy gear. Also that the only reason my damage is particularely low is due to the tank not holding agro on anything and mend pet not being enough to keep my pet alive when it is taking damage from multiple sources, I had to res my pet multiple times despite my best efforts to keep it alive.

    After some more insulting elitist comments the conversation stops and the fight continues until we beat the boss, the mage dps leaves stating that I "should go to hell and suck satans dick". Now this was not down to a bad playing experience, there were no wipes and nobody in the group died, I was called a brainless scrub who should suck a dick because I have an alt that just hit level 90 in blues/greens, and this started before the fight even began.


    What do you think? Are you one of the people who spits on those with low gear like they are some mindless scum of the universe? Or are you a logical and level headed person who can be understanding of other people? The reality of it is that gear has nothing to do with skill, but without gear you're severly limited, but it has to be earned and you have to start somewhere.

    Not to be an asshole
    but are you new to wow or something?

    This attitude has been around forever

  3. #3
    I'm willing to bet you had your pet on assist and he was running into Ahune and being knocked back and taking damage, rather than it being the fault of the tank. Besides that it really seems like you aren't giving us the whole story, I find it hard to believe they'd continue to react badly unless you started having a fight with them in chat, honestly people like that aren't worth the hassle of arguing with.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Alastaircrawly View Post
    Not to be an asshole
    but are you new to wow or something?

    This attitude has been around forever
    Doesn't mean it should be tolerated. I might have been a little bugged to see someone with low gear, but I'd probably have kept it to myself. Ahune is a joke and doesn't even need a real tank. 4 DPS + Healer = Faster winning.

  5. #5
    My advice for any new 90 is to buy as many Crafted Dreadful Gladiator items as you are able on your realm's auction house. Very cheap and the entire set will boost your itemlevel up to around 460 so you can start LFR with some minor adjustments.

  6. #6
    Legendary! Taftvalue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    somewhere in the desert
    Posts
    6,244
    who cares, thats my opinion
    There is only one god and his name is Sargeras.
    Tell them only that the Lich King is dead and that World of Warcraft died with him.

  7. #7
    Banned But I Hate You All's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The West Coast of the United States
    Posts
    1,993
    Quote Originally Posted by PetersenIII View Post
    Doesn't mean it should be tolerated. I might have been a little bugged to see someone with low gear, but I'd probably have kept it to myself. Ahune is a joke and doesn't even need a real tank. 4 DPS + Healer = Faster winning.
    Right best thing to do is report those players for harassment

  8. #8
    Stood in the Fire lazypeon100's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    357
    Just report them and move on. People like that are unreasonable and you shouldn't be bothering with them. You'll just make your head hurt.

  9. #9
    Pit Lord icausewipes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Medusa Cascade
    Posts
    2,420
    The players from Illidan or Bleeding Hollow?
    Server - Thrall and Stormreaver
    Class - Brewmaster Monk
    Level - 100
    Faction - Horde

    Why Brewmaster? Cuz I like getting my shit pushed in.

  10. #10
    I queued on my recently dinged 90 mage, dps was so low that it took four core phases to kill the boss, and yet nobody said a word.

  11. #11
    Legendary! Tommo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    6,517
    Quote Originally Posted by Alastaircrawly View Post
    Not to be an asshole
    but are you new to wow or something?

    This attitude has been around forever
    I disagree, the playerbase is a lot more putrid than I remember.

    You used to get the occasional scumbag, but almost every group I random with theres people hating.

    Infact I was doing LK 25 HC with Ive been waiting a long time for this, and this one guy refused point blank, telling me its impossible and I should go kill myself for being a scrub, to which I pointed out that my achievment for the LK was actually done when it was relevant and his wasnt. He just lol'd and called me a noob, then we one shot it.

    I get these kind of people almost every run I do. And its probably related to the fact theres no reason to be civil anymore, server communities are non existent, you never meet these people again so why be nice to them for the sake of it.

    If someone had left during a run because they were a whiny little bitch, that person would be damned if they ever got another run on the server without a decent amount of grovelling, same with ninjas ect.

  12. #12
    Put your pet on passive. Like you said dps doesn't matter. Don't react to bad behavior. You were trolled.
    i7 3770K OC @ 4.5Ghz; ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 MOBO; Antec Lanboy Air Black Case; 2X GTX 480 SLI OC @ 800/1500 clocks; 16GB 1866Mhz RAM; 256GB CORSAIR SSD; 2X Phobya DC12-400 Pumps; Koolance 370 r1.1 CPU Block; 2X Heatkiller GPU-X GPU Blocks; Tygon Silver 1/2" ID Tubing; Microreservoir

  13. #13
    The Lightbringer Bigbazz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    3,504
    Quote Originally Posted by Alastaircrawly View Post
    Not to be an asshole
    but are you new to wow or something?

    This attitude has been around forever

    Actually if you want some background

    Started playing in 2007 during early TBC and was a raider in some relatively high end raiding guilds.

    T5 - Vashj/Kael Thas pre attunement lift
    T6 - BT/Mount hyjal farm and Sunwell up to Muru before 3.0 hit.

    Then changed to a serious casual guild that raided 10man and tried to do 25man when numbers allowed.

    T7 - All clear while relevant
    T8 - 10man all clear while relevant, mounts/algalon and 25man with most heroic modes + a Legendary mace farmed while relevant
    T9 - Got the 25man mounts/algalon in Ulduar + TOTC Tribute to insanity on farm (+ alts) and 25man 4/5 hc farm
    T10 - Got 5/5 25m hc TOTC, ICC10 mounts early on with 11/12 on farm, I was given Shadowmourne + we had 25man 11/12 on farm, eventually killed LK heroic. All while relevant.
    T10.5 - Ruby Sanctum 10HC killed pretty quickly, 25HC was not attempted.

    Cataclysm - I didn't play much here, did some heroic firelands (didnt do any normal firelands while relevant as I came in late) didn't play serious until Dragon Soul, had both Heroic Deathwing fights left when I had to stop playing, guild killed them and had them on farm while relevant. A few staffs/rogue dagger sets made.

    MOP - I did some raiding + heroic modes at start of expansion, stopped playing until last 2 weeks. Guild is currently doing TOT heroic modes.


    So no i'm not new to WoW, I've never experienced this attitude before and never shown it to anyone else. Nobody in my guild has certaintly ever shown this attitude towards people. Being a complete asshole and being extremely crude and unfriendly simply because a player has recently dinged 90? It was my alt, had I been on my main I would have wiped the floor with all of the dps but I wouldn't have rubbed their noses in it. Fact is these werent elite players doing massive dps or playing with great skill, just decently geared players playing in a very average manner whilst being very aggressive towards others.



    About the pet deaths - He had agro on the adds, I was specifically avoiding him going on the boss. I'm not an idiot but I know it can be easily done, this however is a boss that I have explained to others many times in the passed when trying to complete it with undergeared chars and new players. It is not the kind of amateur mistake I would be making. I was watching my pet tank the add until it eventually died, the add would switch targets and I would res my pet, happened every phase reset (of which there were more than you might want).
    Last edited by Bigbazz; 2013-06-23 at 02:38 AM.
    I7 2600k @4.5ghz : 16GB DDR3 : GTX670 : Firestudio : Naga : G27

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    I disagree, the playerbase is a lot more putrid than I remember.

    You used to get the occasional scumbag, but almost every group I random with theres people hating.

    Infact I was doing LK 25 HC with Ive been waiting a long time for this, and this one guy refused point blank, telling me its impossible and I should go kill myself for being a scrub, to which I pointed out that my achievment for the LK was actually done when it was relevant and his wasnt. He just lol'd and called me a noob, then we one shot it.

    I get these kind of people almost every run I do. And its probably related to the fact theres no reason to be civil anymore, server communities are non existent, you never meet these people again so why be nice to them for the sake of it.

    If someone had left during a run because they were a whiny little bitch, that person would be damned if they ever got another run on the server without a decent amount of grovelling, same with ninjas ect.
    So much this. Blizzard made it easy to solo content and eliminated a lot of the reason to play together. So now people are acting in WoW like they do everywhere on the internet.
    i7 3770K OC @ 4.5Ghz; ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 MOBO; Antec Lanboy Air Black Case; 2X GTX 480 SLI OC @ 800/1500 clocks; 16GB 1866Mhz RAM; 256GB CORSAIR SSD; 2X Phobya DC12-400 Pumps; Koolance 370 r1.1 CPU Block; 2X Heatkiller GPU-X GPU Blocks; Tygon Silver 1/2" ID Tubing; Microreservoir

  15. #15
    Banned But I Hate You All's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The West Coast of the United States
    Posts
    1,993
    Quote Originally Posted by Angella View Post
    Put your pet on passive. Like you said dps doesn't matter. Don't react to bad behavior. You were trolled.
    He was not trolled since when actin like a total cunt = trolling?

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    Actually if you want some background

    Started playing in 2007 during early TBC and was a raider in some relatively high end raiding guilds.

    T5 - Vashj/Kael Thas pre attunement lift
    T6 - BT/Mount hyjal farm and Sunwell up to Muru before 3.0 hit.

    Then changed to a serious casual guild that raided 10man and tried to do 25man when numbers allowed.

    T7 - All clear while relevant
    T8 - 10man all clear while relevant, mounts/algalon and 25man with most heroic modes + a Legendary mace farmed while relevant
    T9 - Got the 25man mounts/algalon in Ulduar + TOTC Tribute to insanity on farm (+ alts) and 25man 4/5 hc farm
    T10 - Got 5/5 25m hc TOTC, ICC10 mounts early on with 11/12 on farm, I was given Shadowmourne + we had 25man 11/12 on farm, eventually killed LK heroic. All while relevant.
    T10.5 - Ruby Sanctum 10HC killed pretty quickly, 25HC was not attempted.

    Cataclysm - I didn't play much here, did some heroic firelands (didnt do any normal firelands while relevant as I came in late) didn't play serious until Dragon Soul, had both Deathwing fights left when I had to stop playing, guild killed them and had them on farm while relevant. A few staffs/rogue dagger sets made.

    MOP - I did some raiding + heroic modes at start of expansion, stopped playing until last 2 weeks. Guild is currently doing TOT heroic modes.


    So no i'm not new to WoW, I've never experienced this attitude before and never shown it to anyone else. Nobody in my guild has certaintly ever shown this attitude towards people. Being a complete asshole and being extremely crude and unfriendly simply because a player has recently dinged 90? It was my alt, had I been on my main I would have wiped the floor with all of the dps but I wouldn't have rubbed their noses in it. Fact is these werent elite players doing massive dps or playing with great skill, just decently geared players playing in a very average manner whilst being very aggressive towards others.
    Sounds remarkably similar to my WoW background up till cataclysm where I switched to SWTOR. It's better. I promise.

    ---------- Post added 2013-06-23 at 02:35 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Alastaircrawly View Post
    He was not trolled since when actin like a total cunt = trolling?
    Since pre vanilla. I should know. I was there.
    i7 3770K OC @ 4.5Ghz; ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 MOBO; Antec Lanboy Air Black Case; 2X GTX 480 SLI OC @ 800/1500 clocks; 16GB 1866Mhz RAM; 256GB CORSAIR SSD; 2X Phobya DC12-400 Pumps; Koolance 370 r1.1 CPU Block; 2X Heatkiller GPU-X GPU Blocks; Tygon Silver 1/2" ID Tubing; Microreservoir

  17. #17
    Banned But I Hate You All's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The West Coast of the United States
    Posts
    1,993
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    Actually if you want some background

    Started playing in 2007 during early TBC and was a raider in some relatively high end raiding guilds.

    T5 - Vashj/Kael Thas pre attunement lift
    T6 - BT/Mount hyjal farm and Sunwell up to Muru before 3.0 hit.

    Then changed to a serious casual guild that raided 10man and tried to do 25man when numbers allowed.

    T7 - All clear while relevant
    T8 - 10man all clear while relevant, mounts/algalon and 25man with most heroic modes + a Legendary mace farmed while relevant
    T9 - Got the 25man mounts/algalon in Ulduar + TOTC Tribute to insanity on farm (+ alts) and 25man 4/5 hc farm
    T10 - Got 5/5 25m hc TOTC, ICC10 mounts early on with 11/12 on farm, I was given Shadowmourne + we had 25man 11/12 on farm, eventually killed LK heroic. All while relevant.
    T10.5 - Ruby Sanctum 10HC killed pretty quickly, 25HC was not attempted.

    Cataclysm - I didn't play much here, did some heroic firelands (didnt do any normal firelands while relevant as I came in late) didn't play serious until Dragon Soul, had both Heroic Deathwing fights left when I had to stop playing, guild killed them and had them on farm while relevant. A few staffs/rogue dagger sets made.

    MOP - I did some raiding + heroic modes at start of expansion, stopped playing until last 2 weeks. Guild is currently doing TOT heroic modes.


    So no i'm not new to WoW, I've never experienced this attitude before and never shown it to anyone else. Nobody in my guild has certaintly ever shown this attitude towards people. Being a complete asshole and being extremely crude and unfriendly simply because a player has recently dinged 90? It was my alt, had I been on my main I would have wiped the floor with all of the dps but I wouldn't have rubbed their noses in it. Fact is these werent elite players doing massive dps or playing with great skill, just decently geared players playing in a very average manner whilst being very aggressive towards others.
    Idc about your history in wow. people have been acting like that ever since I could remember. The amount of people became more with lfd, lfr and crz

    ---------- Post added 2013-06-22 at 07:38 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Angella View Post
    Since pre vanilla. I should know. I was there.
    Well sadly most people do not know what trolling even is. They think acting like a douche makes you a troll.



    The art of deliberately, cleverly, and secretly pissing people off, usually via the internet, using dialogue. Trolling does not mean just making rude remarks: Shouting swear words at someone doesn't count as trolling; it's just flaming, and isn't funny. Spam isn't trolling either; it pisses people off, but it's lame.

    The most essential part of trolling is convincing your victim that either a) truly believe in what you are saying, no matter how outrageous, or b) give your victim malicious instructions, under the guise of help.
    Trolling requires decieving; any trolling that doesn't involve decieving someone isn't trolling at all; it's just stupid. As such, your victim must not know that you are trolling; if he does, you are an unsuccesful troll.

    Signs that your trolling is succesful:
    *Your victim screaming in all-caps at you.
    *Personal attacks (Calling you a retard, idiot, etc).
    *Being an Internet Tough Guy.
    *Making a crude remark, before quickly logging off before you can retort.

    Signs that your trolling is unsuccesful:
    *Your victim identifying you as a troll.
    *Identifying yourself as a troll.
    *Your efforts being ignored.
    Last edited by But I Hate You All; 2013-06-23 at 02:39 AM.

  18. #18
    I only get mad and act like an asshole when there is someone doing <20k dps and before you say they just dinged 90 blah blah blah realize that fresh 90s can do 40k+ dps so less than 20 is afking/ just autoattacking and its annoying.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Alastaircrawly View Post
    Idc about your history in wow. people have been acting like that ever since I could remember. The amount of people became more with lfd, lfr and crz
    100% agree LFD/LFR added to the crapfest. Hung on through FT and then said to hell with it. Easy =/= better. At least not for me.

    ---------- Post added 2013-06-23 at 02:39 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by ScariusTheMoonkin View Post
    I only get mad and act like an asshole when there is someone doing <20k dps and before you say they just dinged 90 blah blah blah realize that fresh 90s can do 40k+ dps so less than 20 is afking/ just autoattacking and its annoying.
    People not knowing their class that que for group content bother me. I rarely say anything though. That's the risk you assume when using those queing tools.
    i7 3770K OC @ 4.5Ghz; ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 MOBO; Antec Lanboy Air Black Case; 2X GTX 480 SLI OC @ 800/1500 clocks; 16GB 1866Mhz RAM; 256GB CORSAIR SSD; 2X Phobya DC12-400 Pumps; Koolance 370 r1.1 CPU Block; 2X Heatkiller GPU-X GPU Blocks; Tygon Silver 1/2" ID Tubing; Microreservoir

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Alastaircrawly View Post
    Right best thing to do is report those players for harassment
    ^ this right here. Those jerks had no reason to pick on you about your gear.

    Were they a guild group by chance? I've noticed for some reason it always seems to be the guild groups from certain servers that seem to have the attitudes.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •