Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Your body is the shell your conscious entity will inhabit for as long as it exists, and it is what all your desires, pleasures, feelings, and physical and mental well-being are inextricably tied to.

Why would you not want that shell to be the absolute best it can?

To answer your question, yes. There is nothing I would trade my feeling of well-being that comes with my good health for.

Quote Originally Posted by Bananarepublic View Post
    Ihow does health feel vs eating anything you want?
    I mostly do eat what I want. What you want changes as your habits change. I'll eat junk on occasion, but the majority of the food I eat is pretty healthy and I don't really crave anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Bananarepublic View Post
    How does a good figure feel?
    It's great! I've never actually been fat, but I used to be soft and doughy, especially around the middle, and lack any real muscular definition. I'm still a skinny guy (runner and cyclist mostly, so that's on purpose), but being lean and defined sure does make running without a shirt or walking around a pool a more pleasant experience. Some people are completely comfortable with themselves without being fit, but I never was; I was always insecure about my appearance, and it's great to not feel that way anymore.

Even though I'm in a long term relationship, it's still great to be more confident being naked around my girlfriend. If I were single, this would be heightened.

15+ Year Old Account
    If you're fit - i.e. you take regular exercise - you sleep better and you have more energy.

how tall and how old are you?

My metabolism slowed down as I got older. I'm working out to not change my ENTIRE wardrobe. It sucks. Another thing that exercise helps is blood flow to your brain. You'll be smarter :>

Deleted
    Great you trying to get in shape. I'm 100% you will feel a huge difference. I know that when I haven't trained for a few days I feel slow and get barely anything done.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes it does. I have almost all my life well been fat. And I have been working out and keeping my diet up and right know i'm 135 pounds with 5% body fat. AND I FEEL FUCKING FANTASTIC. I always have energy. And I encourage people who are thinking about loosing weight do it.

Quote Originally Posted by xZANGEITIx View Post
    Yes it does. I have almost all my life well been fat. And I have been working out and keeping my diet up and right know i'm 135 pounds with 5% body fat. AND I FEEL FUCKING FANTASTIC. I always have energy. And I encourage people who are thinking about loosing weight do it.
    you're not 5% body fat. 5% is on the low end of very physical athletes.

Quote Originally Posted by himynameisruss View Post
    5% is on the low end of very physical athletes.
    Handy (although imperfect) chart illustrating this point:

Correct 5% body fat is unhealthy
    8-20% for males is the healthy range to be between

Deleted
    It feels fantastic to be in a good shape, at least for me. But for me it's a bit more than just being healthy. I've been training for over 10 years now (on and off, mostly on), and Im at the point where I feel down and dirty when I DON'T train. I get happy when my muscles are sore after training and when I see that my body is in a good and muscular shape. Some ppl say Im crazy, since I always want more muscles, less fat, and to be better overall.
    I would be fucking unhappy if I was fat, I would do anything in my power to become fit again.
    @Picture, I should be at around 14-15% bodyfat, should start a diet again (~103Kg at 191cm).

With health comes a better life. Being healthy means you can do more and be more productive in anything you do. I highly suggest being fit!

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Handy (although imperfect) chart illustrating this point:

How do you measure your bod fat percentage??

I'm between 25 and 30%, working out for 3 weeks now (after being a lazy ass for 7 years). I definately feel a lot more active now, I've gotten a couple of compliments that I'm a bit less fat and that my shoulders have grown (weightlifting). My motivation to keep going is that I don't ever want to be tired 27/7 again with no energy to do anything at all. Despite me having an active job with a lot of lifting and moving (I'm a cook), it's a difference of night and day.

I've gotten an eating schedule to both keep up my training and lose weight, I follow a very heavy training which originally is to get in shape to apply for the commandos, I had issues with almost fainting while doing my work out and it ended up having to do with me not eating enough every day.

I have 7 meals a day, but have you considered doing 6 ? Your food process becomes very fast as its basically active all day as I eat every 2-3 hours, I'm no expert or anything but it may be something to consider!

Good luck, either way!

Quote Originally Posted by aevitas View Post
    How do you measure your bod fat percentage??

I'm between 25 and 30%, working out for 3 weeks now (after being a lazy ass for 7 years). I definately feel a lot more active now, I've gotten a couple of compliments that I'm a bit less fat and that my shoulders have grown (weightlifting). My motivation to keep going is that I don't ever want to be tired 27/7 again with no energy to do anything at all. Despite me having an active job with a lot of lifting and moving (I'm a cook), it's a difference of night and day.

I've gotten an eating schedule to both keep up my training and lose weight, I follow a very heavy training which originally is to get in shape to apply for the commandos, I had issues with almost fainting while doing my work out and it ended up having to do with me not eating enough every day.

I have 7 meals a day, but have you considered doing 6 ? Your food process becomes very fast as its basically active all day as I eat every 2-3 hours, I'm no expert or anything but it may be something to consider!

Good luck, either way!
    http://www.builtlean.com/2010/07/13/...at-percentage/

^ For how to measure body-fat. Skin-fold calipers are the best method that you can repeat yourself as often as you want, and are reasonably accurate.

Eating more meals a day does marginally increase your metabolism, but that increase really is negligible. What's going to matter at the end of the day is the sum total of nutrients you've consumed. In the past people would do that fairly often but it's since been thoroughly debunked. The reason some people still do this is that bodybuilders often eat so much that consuming all that in 3-4 meals would be too much, or just because it might fit in better for that particular individual's lifestyle.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DStrukt View Post
    Correct 5% body fat is unhealthy
    8-20% for males is the healthy range to be between
    8 is pretty low for an average person, no point having it down at 8 unless you're an athlete or a bodybuilder is there?

I always though between 15-20 is the ideal range for an average person who likes to take care of themselves.

Without doing proper measurements, just looking at pictures, I'm probably around 17%
    dragonmaw - EU

Quote Originally Posted by serenka View Post
    8 is pretty low for an average person, no point having it down at 8 unless you're an athlete or a bodybuilder is there?
    I guess it depends on your definition of "athlete". I'm a rank amateur, but I like running and biking, and I'm trying to continue to get faster. A year ago, my body fat was ~12%, now it's ~10%, and I'd definitely like to slide it down a bit lower. A couple pounds of fat doesn't seem like a big deal until you start dragging it a couple dozen miles.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just have a few things to add. Control your eating periods (sometimes it can be out of your control, like having odd job shifts and so on) set a time for breakfast lunch and dinner. Personally I eat dinner at 6 pm and that's it for the day.
    From my personal expierence, I feel much better whole day if I do some excersize before going to work - 10 pushups and 10 curls makes a world of difference for me and it only takes like 20 seconds.
    If you exerice, doing less on a daily basis is better than doing a lot every so often (10 minutes a day every day is better than 2+ hours in gym once or twice a week). You can do a lot of exercises at home without the need to go to gym.

The important thing is, do it for YOURSELF not for someone else.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well I've started running a bit more again, do the occasional pullup repetitions and must I say I feel a bit better about myself. I have been noticing that I can eat even more, my dad actually gets quite annoyed about my eating habits. He noticed that I made 4 sandwiches of cheese, turkey, and mayonnaise and was like, "Are you going to eat the whole loaf?". I'm quite surprised at how much better I feel as a person but I fear that my arrogance may come back like I was during my soccer days being in shape.

Muscle wise, I've never been as muscular as I am now. I may not look too much difference but I feel the difference when it comes to lifting things and I don't even weight lift, this is all from calisthenics. What started my motivation was realizing that I was a lazy slob, it took me a long time to come to terms with myself about who I am and what I want out of life and if anyone wants more then I'll tell you what, make that extra step.

To go back to realizing that I was a lazy slob... Well I lost the girl of my dreams (sure there will be more), I was selfish due to being lazy, I nearly failed my senior year in high school but only because I knew the teacher well did she bump my grade up, and I had to realize that a mistake is a mistake and a learning experience. Dwelling on the past hurts you, took me 2 months to get over that girl and I still think about her everyday. Maybe there is some part of me that believes improving myself will win her back but that's besides the point, I'm doing it and I'm loving it.
    Last edited by Duronos; 2013-09-09 at 06:24 AM.
    Hey everyone

The only time it feels good is going into the spa at our apartments. Other than that its meh. I've been 166 10-12% Bodyfat for A while now. Currently lean bulking but only up to 180. While I was maintaining I just counted calories and ate whatever the fudge I wanted, just as long as I hit my protein macros and my strength maintained. Try all pros lifting routine. Basic, takes the complication out and you will get gains.

10+ Year Old Account
    Went for a 35 minute run, lots of big hills where I live and I'm in half decent shape. Going to recommend that if you want to build your lower body then run hills but be careful, pushing yourself is a good thing but you have to know when to stop because if you don't like I've discovered, you'll end up with a knee injury that will take some time to heal. Try to walk it off afterwards with stretches in between as to not feel bad afterwards. To answer the question, I feel great and there is a part of me that wants more but you have to be patient.
    Hey everyone

It feels good doing shit I want to do without dying. It also gives me confidence, a place to clear my head, etc.