A few questions before I start my new adventure

Good morning, I've been playing WoW for 8 years+ now and I now fancy a change in pace, with Rift going FTP it solves my not wanting to pay for a game currently but would do if I enjoyed it.

I was primarily a hunter and a death-knight on WoW for the 8 years, what would be a good character class for me to start with, so I don't feel over-whelmed but could still enjoy all that the game has to offer.

Warrior or rogue is your best bet.

Warrior has reaver a death like tank soul and beastmaster a support soul that uses pets. Warriors also have tempest a range soul using electricity but it's not close to hunter.

Rogue has a ranger which is basically a hunter.

Neither have amazing spell effects though and warrior souls play similar to each other.

Closest thing to a hunter in Rift is the rogue, with the ranger and marksman souls. But you can't tame any creatures, and are stuck with a fugly-ass purple pig for a tank pet (upgraded gets armor), and a wolf for dps pet (upgraded version gets armor).

To get something close to the dk, I believe you need to go reaver (tank) with warlord (defensive support, has a taunt similar to death grip), and not sure what for 3rd soul, possibly tempest for some ranged.

Quote Originally Posted by Pachycrocuta View Post
    Closest thing to a hunter in Rift is the rogue, with the ranger and marksman souls. But you can't tame any creatures, and are stuck with a fugly-ass purple pig for a tank pet (upgraded gets armor), and a wolf for dps pet (upgraded version gets armor).

To get something close to the dk, I believe you need to go reaver (tank) with warlord (defensive support, has a taunt similar to death grip), and not sure what for 3rd soul, possibly tempest for some ranged.
    If im not mistaken the bloodraptor is the dps pet and not the wolf.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sopi View Post
    If im not mistaken the bloodraptor is the dps pet and not the wolf.
    Yeah the wolf is pvp, raptor is dps.

Ranger and Marksman souls are the two that play like wow hunters. Marksman is the better spec of the two nowadays I believe but ranger is better early on. Marskman doesn't really get good until about 35-40. Honestly though all souls have multiple roles and you can build them however you want. Plus, they have premade setups that explain what they're for and tells you where to spend points, so you can always use those to start out until you learn the game better (it's pretty much a wow clone though so it shouldn't take long).

Thank you, I will try a Warrior - Reaver

Quote Originally Posted by Uoyredrum View Post
    Yeah the wolf is pvp, raptor is dps.

Ranger and Marksman souls are the two that play like wow hunters. Marksman is the better spec of the two nowadays I believe but ranger is better early on. Marskman doesn't really get good until about 35-40. Honestly though all souls have multiple roles and you can build them however you want. Plus, they have premade setups that explain what they're for and tells you where to spend points, so you can always use those to start out until you learn the game better (it's pretty much a wow clone though so it shouldn't take long).
    Had no idea the wolf was more for pvp. I always ended my ranger "progression" at 24 when you get the updated pig and wolf pets, and then go to other souls for the rest of the time. Of course, ranger was always ever for leveling, so I didn't think it mattered much going past that point. Although, with the tactician/bard/whatever, I forgo the ranger while leveling and just mow down creatures with relative ease with that setup.