Marksman hunter pvp..... feels lame

i dont know if im doing something wrong, but i have been doing bgs for gear as marksman and i feel like all i do is spam the shit out of arcane shot. The majority of the "rotation" consist of just spamming arcane shot in between chimera and a random aimed shot proc. It just feels very stale and boring.

10+ Year Old Account
    shouldnt you be using powershot, serpent sting, aimed shot (with glyph you can move while casting it), chimera shot, steady shot so you can get aimed shot free, as well as using arcane shot when you get the proc for free arcane? otherwise i think you should be dumping your focus to aimed shot and powershot.

seems a lot more then what you are talking about???

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkrulerxxx View Post
    shouldnt you be using powershot, serpent sting, aimed shot (with glyph you can move while casting it), chimera shot, steady shot so you can get aimed shot free, as well as using arcane shot when you get the proc for free arcane? otherwise i think you should be dumping your focus to aimed shot and powershot.

I don't use glyph of aimed shot simply because of aimed shots cast time and the shit damage it does.

Besides, there's not much difference between MM and BM. Except for BMs damage coming primarily from your pet, which to me sounds really boring. As BM you basically send your pet and you use kill command off CD and spam arcane shot in the meantime, same as MM with chimera shot.

Deleted
    It's because BM has all the buffs.

I agree with Emfg- it is almost that same.
    Almost all purest feel that same no matter the spec, spells have just different names and they have bit different way of dealing damage.

But, i also agree with hunters in general mm/surv being... dont know... not interesting? Played hunter a lot in wotlk and later in cata and enjoyed it very much. I dont know really what it is cos not THAT much have really changed. When i look at my old action bars they are almost no different to todays ones, hunters even gained Eplo trap knockback and stealth which are cool thing in general for a hunter to play around and lost just other stings (viper, scorpid) and aspects but it doesnt really matter.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkrulerxxx View Post

Dumping focus into powershot that is impossible with its long cd & cast time.
    And spamming AS is simply better than hard casting AiS, the only time you want to hardcast aimed in pvp is at the beginning of a fight@range/from camo and possibly during rapid fire (only if your not focused). Aimed just doesn't hit hard enough to be worth the focus cost.

Haven't played hunter since Cata, but can you still get the third stack of Master Marksman from landing a steady shot but after starting the hardcast of an Aimed Shot? I remember getting some surprising kills in arenas on a hard target swap by getting double crit AS on a high health target. Because of the RNG of Master Marksman it was unreliable to set up, but that was part of the fun of landing those kills.

Quote Originally Posted by Ettan View Post
    Dumping focus into powershot that is impossible with its long cd & cast time.
    And spamming AS is simply better than hard casting AiS, the only time you want to hardcast aimed in pvp is at the beginning of a fight@range/from camo and possibly during rapid fire (only if your not focused). Aimed just doesn't hit hard enough to be worth the focus cost.
    Hardcasting aimed shot definitely depends on the targets armor. Clothies and leather get hit pretty damn hard by aimed, harder than chimera even, but plate and shields take less than an arcane damn near. Plus its a good way to start a nuke cycle on a full life target since aimed basically always crits if they are above 80%. Against low armor targets I use arcane only during thrill of the hunt.

There is alot more to think about with MM. You dont have the luxury of high pet damage and reduced focus cost during BW (nor pet giving you focus when it attacks) so you have to weigh your focus on using things like tranq shot and Widow venom vs. doing more damage. Mindlessly spamming arcane is not the best thing to do by any means. Maintaining steady focus is important because not only is it more consistent dmg through white attacks but allows you to cast aimed and powershots faster. Double aimed shotting a full life low armor target can drop them to half instantly. It annoys me that the shifted the pvp power set bonus to arcane since arcane is more of a filler for MM; aimed shot should have a higher priority imo.

15+ Year Old Account
    I think Ret / Hunter / Disc will be a very good comp obviously. I suspect Fmage/Ele/Rdruid could be the best caster comp.

Has anyone tried Ret / Fmage / Disc much this expansion? With Shadow going the way of the dinosaurs next patch, and Disc probably remaining as one of the stronger healers - I suspect I may be approaching the second time in WoW history where I have to join the Light side (temporarily). My arena partner has been talking about playing a frost mage next season, and Ret/Fmage/Disc seems like the comp to be I think - you have the playstyle of RMP, with the hybrid support of Shadow/Fmage/X.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yvaelle View Post
    My arena partner has been talking about playing a frost mage next season, and Ret/Fmage/Disc seems like the comp to be I think - you have the playstyle of RMP, with the hybrid support of Shadow/Fmage/X.
    eeee.... except you wont have the opening pressure you would with rmp unless they give pallys stealth, and you know what happens when RMP gets pushed off offensive :[. DRs arent very friendly with that either.. you have to play reeaally well and pallys will need to be super powered for that to work imo.

the plus side is that outside of fears [which at least you have a ward for i guess] your healer would be un-chainable against most comps.

i should OT since this thread is about hunters.. MM doesnt look too hot, but meh. maybe something will happen with patch.
    Last edited by Lulbalance; 2013-06-24 at 09:12 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I feel like maybe I responded in the wrong thread now.. hmmm.

Well, on topic - my hunter just hit 90 the other day and I've been farming up her honor set as MM. I'm much more in favour of MM than BM personally. Try this for burst:

I build up an Aimed Shot proc, then I either binding or silence depending on whether its a caster or melee - Powershot->Aimed Shot proc, Scatter, Fervor, Aimed Shot->Chimera Shot, (Kill Shots if in execute range). The first set hit simultaneously so you usually get the Aimed Shot auto-crit for high health targets. In 5.4 with the Freezing Trap glyph I'll revise my rotation a bit probably try to make the most of the 100% crit chance versus trapped targets, so it may look like:

Scatter or pet Root if caster, or binding if melee (or root) -> Trap -> Power Shot -> Aimed Shot proc (which should both land at the same time and get the double crit effect) -> any other CC I have -> casted Aimed Shot -> Chimera -> (Kill Shots if in execute range).

What I enjoy about Marksmen is I have a lot of control over my burst cycles when I line them up correctly - I can deny my opponent any chance to peel or blow defensives or line of sight most of the time (much like Deep Freeze->Shatter). With Beast Mastery its really nice having the trinket effects, but being so dependent on pet damage is a blessing and a curse - and the burst windows as BM feel really sloppy. That's all as a noob hunter in BGs though, I suspect when you have rogue or ret or feral stuns during your burst cycles they feel much more organized as BM.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter