New Rogue player. Small problem.

So I'm playing a rogue for the first real time, and I've run into a small problem. I'm really enjoying the Assasination spec, but I'm finding the reliance on daggers is too high, especially as I level. I almost never get dagger drops, and it's meant that I've been using crappy white vendor-trash daggers pretty much the whole way up. Heirlooms aren't an option, as I'm on a new faction, and a new server.

Does this ease up as I get further down the road, or am I gonna have trouble finding daggers the whole time through, because I don't have access to heirlooms?

Deleted
    Yeah, it's a bit of problem when leveling that doesn't really go away until the early sixties. Last time I leveled a rogue from scratch I did it mostly as Combat because of the greater number of weapons available.

10+ Year Old Account

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by junkshop23 View Post
    Does this ease up as I get further down the road, or am I gonna have trouble finding daggers the whole time through, because I don't have access to heirlooms?
    Youll find with time the hunt for daggers will become the most hated part of being an assassin, yes they are the most rogue like weapons we can find, yes they are fast and cut our enemies down faster then other specs could dream of, but sadly because we are the only spec that relies on them blizzard has been rather... lacking in producing many throughout the leveling process, or even in end tier... as i recall t14 only had 2 daggers, t15 only has 3 one being a rare drop... granted youll also find that means once you have yours you wont have to worry about upgrading them for quite some time

Shadows hide you brother

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mat cauthon View Post
    but sadly because we are the only spec that relies on them
    Mate, you ever played sub?

Check the auction house for some cheap greens. Then run some dungeons with those greens if you want to get some blues.

I'm sure you can find some low level greens on the AH for like 10 gold.
    Spike Flail - US Mal'Ganis | Currently 11/11 M | Art by ElyPop

What Crookids said for the most part, also you can easily net yourself some daggers from some of the first Q's you get in Outland so that goes much better when you get there

There is also a bit more daggers from dungeons in the ~50-58 range than below, but from personal experience (leveling 7 Rogues), I'd say go Combat all the way untill 85+ or even 90 since it's alot easier to come by weapons, and Combat can also easily run with 1h's with Strength on it without much loss but you can't really get strength 1h daggers (Well, there is some randomstat ones but :P)

And obviously, use the Deadly Momentum glyph, it helps a ton

The weapon restriction makes combat an easier choice for leveling because combat can use Axe,Sword,Mace,Dagger(OH only) or fist and it all works out. Personally Id go combat till 60, buy the PvP daggers then go Ass. Just keep picking up the pvp daggers at 60 70 80 85.

And obviously, use the Deadly Momentum glyph, it helps a ton
    ^ It does

Shadows hide you brother
    @Mat, I LOVE THOSE BOOKS

Quote Originally Posted by forsworn View Post

@Mat, I LOVE THOSE BOOKS
    Dont we all ;D

Combat is (Atleast it was before) the best lvling spec, heavy aoe and all that. And you can use what ever weapon you pick up. So I recommend going combat, and when you find some daggers you can use you can go back to assas
    Quote Originally Posted by atenime45 View Post
    The 10% reward. It's was unspoken rule that you DONT attack other faction so everyone could enjoy the 10% reward. But now no one cares about that anymore

Hey I'm a new rogue as well and have not played a rogue since vanilla so my rogue is level 60. Right now I'm trying to get updated on the new abilities and rotations with my Assassin spec. I do have a few questions:

1. I play on a PvP server and do occasionally need to bust out some PvPness. I was wondering what abilities for PVP/PVE that I need to keep close to me via keybinds. I'm assuming Cloak of Shadows, Kick, Vanish, etc. But because I only have so many buttons close to my WSAD-hand (the hand I use to move) I need to pick and choose those "oh-shit" buttons that I can keybind close to "WSAD" such as Q-E-F-V-X-Z, 1-5, etc.

2. What are some good addons I should check out for a rogue. Right now I am using the WoW default UI and am having some issues managing my energy as well as combo point number.

Thanks everybody in advance for your help. I'm really excited to start back up in WoW and play my rogue...right now it seems the most interesting to me in regards to utility, abilities and I hope soloing ability for Vanilla Raids like MC and Blackrock.

Thalem, the "Oh fuck" buttons you gotta keep close is obviously your defensives (Evasion, Cloak of Shadows, Dismantle, Blind, Preparation and Vanish
    As for "almost" as important pvp-wise, I'd say keep Kidney Shot and Gouge within reach along with Smoke Bomb and Kick (Shiv if you run Crippling to apply a 70% slow, or root with Paralytic Poison.)

Addons wise, if you don't want to have to set up alot of stuff, you can use X-perl for a UI, it got raidframes, partyframes, target and well, any kind of frame you might want, it also by default shows any kind of buffs and debuffs on target, can enable targetstarget buffs, even targetstargetstargets fram and so on

Procs/short-term buffs addons, I'd say RoguePowerBars is quite useful, it's a tad outdated, but still works like a charm, it is really simple to just add in the abilities and customize it as you see fit.

If you need more Actionbars, I'd say Bartender4.

Threatmeters is almost completely useless these days, but Omen works there.

Dps meters.....well, nobody needs those, but go for either Skada or Recount, both works similarly with a small difference you won't notice much unless you're running through them for buffs gained and so on.

DBM is the preferred boss mod, but BigWigs works just fine aswell.

Or, if you want a complete HUD, just get Elvui or Tukui, both comes with literally any addon you might want and gives simple instructions on how to set it up.

Prat is a decent chat addon if you would want that.

These are mostly the addons I'm running which works fine, but you just gotta try stuff out and see what works for you.

Quote Originally Posted by zerynax View Post
    Thalem, the "Oh fuck" buttons you gotta keep close is obviously your defensives (Evasion, Cloak of Shadows, Dismantle, Blind, Preparation and Vanish
    As for "almost" as important pvp-wise, I'd say keep Kidney Shot and Gouge within reach along with Smoke Bomb and Kick (Shiv if you run Crippling to apply a 70% slow, or root with Paralytic Poison.)

Addons wise, if you don't want to have to set up alot of stuff, you can use X-perl for a UI, it got raidframes, partyframes, target and well, any kind of frame you might want, it also by default shows any kind of buffs and debuffs on target, can enable targetstarget buffs, even targetstargetstargets fram and so on

Procs/short-term buffs addons, I'd say RoguePowerBars is quite useful, it's a tad outdated, but still works like a charm, it is really simple to just add in the abilities and customize it as you see fit.

If you need more Actionbars, I'd say Bartender4.

Threatmeters is almost completely useless these days, but Omen works there.

Dps meters.....well, nobody needs those, but go for either Skada or Recount, both works similarly with a small difference you won't notice much unless you're running through them for buffs gained and so on.

DBM is the preferred boss mod, but BigWigs works just fine aswell.

Or, if you want a complete HUD, just get Elvui or Tukui, both comes with literally any addon you might want and gives simple instructions on how to set it up.

Prat is a decent chat addon if you would want that.

These are mostly the addons I'm running which works fine, but you just gotta try stuff out and see what works for you.
    thank you so much for the reply and the information! I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my noob questions

Quote Originally Posted by Aoremas View Post
    Mate, you ever played sub?
    Sub doesn't even get backstab until level 40, and can level just fine betwix that and 90 without a dagger. You'll only really miss it if you try to raid without it.

Assassination is the ONLY SPEC IN THE GAME where you need daggers to level.

The advice in this thread is very good. DEFINITELY get the Deadly Momentum glyph. I will also recommend you check out Burst of Speed and Nightstalker.
    Last edited by Verain; 2013-06-26 at 06:32 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly I reccomend going combat, cause you can use maces, fist weapons and swords as well. However when you start getting up in the levels 80+ and bosses last longer assasination is just way more fun to me. I changed from combat to assasination this expansion.

I love the addon I love called sliceadmiral, basically it shows bars for your rogue buffs/debuffs like vendetta and envenom on the target, and slice and dice on you + your energy and combo points.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilde View Post
    I love the addon I love called sliceadmiral, basically it shows bars for your rogue buffs/debuffs like vendetta and envenom on the target, and slice and dice on you + your energy and combo points.
    Just to avoid getting misinformation out to a newcomer, Envenom is actually a buff on you.
    Fluorescent - Fluo - currently retired, playing other stuff

i5-4670k @ 4.5 / Thermalright Silver Arrow Extreme / Gigabyte Z87X-D3H / 8GB DDR3-1600 RAM / Gigabyte GTX 760

Deleted
    I'm about to start levelling from lvl 80. So from this thread, combat is not the best spec to level with and I should go ass?

Hey all, I'm back with another noob question. Outside of a warrior tank I've only played caster classes. I did my first random dungeon today and I noticed that it is very difficult for my to consistently hit mobs because when they are all grouped up I have a hard time picking out the one I have targeted. I mostly use tab to cycle through mobs but does anybody else have any useful tips? As a Prot warrior is doesn't really matter because you want aggro on all mobs but with a rogue it would be nice to zero in more on a mob to really unleash my dps...right now I feel my dps sucks because I spend more time with the "you are too far away" red text on my screen

Just keep repositioning as needed.

Every spec is very viable for levelling and is just mostly a matter of playstyle.

Personally i always level as sub because i love the upfront damage (ambush) and hit-and-run playstyle, Shadow Dance is pretty much a clean kill every time too. Biggest issues with it is that it can't take a hit and can hardly take on multiple mobs at the same time. Its my favorite simply because both of the spec's strength and weaknesses define the "stealthy assassin" playstyle to me. Stealth and Deadly Momentum glyphs helps a lot with that spec.

Assassination has some ramp up time and doesn't have a strong dps cooldown unlike other 2 specs but can easily chain mobs once you got everything going and can deal with multiple mobs a lot better than sub (keep rupture on 2-3 targets and you pretty much don't have to worry about your energy). Same here for glyphs, go for Stealth and Deadly Momentum asap.

Combat is less upfront damage and poor stealth abilities but makes up for it by being able to easily cleave multiple mobs and being much more durable than the other 2 specs. Killing spree simply destroys mobs while levelling specially specially if you have multiple targets on you and you couple it with Blade Flurry. Feels more like a Jester/Duelist/Fencer than an assassin though, personally i'd rather just play my Warrior than play combat.
    Last edited by GrieverXIII; 2013-06-28 at 09:50 PM.

Don't worry about it too much. Do what you find enjoyable.

As for max level, that's when you should find daggers and play assassination.