Need help with Demonology and multidotting

As an ex-mage (WotLK and Cata), I never really bothered with multidotting because of the lack of dots, and the ability to burst.

Seeing how at my gear level (ilvl 520) Demonology starts to pull ahead of Destruction (according to sims) and how dots are rolled into part of Demo's damage, I'd need some help with this. Atm, I frantically tab target and I get really frustrated when it doesn't tab the target I want.

So what do you guys do?
    How do you maintain 100% uptime with dots on different targets?
    Any addons I should take note of?
    Any pro tips you guys have for multidotting?

I use mouseover targeting on all (now just both) of my DoTs, plus my curses. I also use nameplates enabled because you can click on (or mouse over) nameplates/health bars instead of models if you want to target a specific mob quickly without using tab. I still tab as well though, too.

Basic mouseover macro:

/cast [@mouseover,harm,nodead] [] corruption

This will cast corruption on the unit, nameplate, or portrait under your cursor if it's able to be attacked and it is alive. Otherwise, it defaults to casting on your selected target.

I haven't adopted any add-ons specifically for tracking DoTs, but I have considered using TidyPlates to keep my debuff icons on enemy nameplates. Also, there is an add-on (AffDots maybe?) that will keep track of your DoT strength (based on spellpower, buffs, mastery, haste, etc) and suggest whether you should refresh them or not.

If you are bad at multi-dotting, and mobs are living long enough, the major glyph of Everlasting Affliction may be a dps increase for you.

In addition to multi-dotting, I try to make sure I am rolling my Hand of Gul'dan charges for close to maximum damage there, especially when Hand is hitting multiple targets. (I use the minor glyph to target it manually for AoE purposes, although it does make single target -slightly- more convoluted with the extra mouse clicks.)

I use Tidy Plates. And tab-targeting isn't too reliable unless it's a larger pack and you're just trying to cycle through everything. Tidy Plates will help you see which ones have dots running/need refreshing, and you can click on the nameplate instead. You're not clicking your dots, are you?

Quote Originally Posted by leaderavia View Post
    I use Tidy Plates. And tab-targeting isn't too reliable unless it's a larger pack and you're just trying to cycle through everything. Tidy Plates will help you see which ones have dots running/need refreshing, and you can click on the nameplate instead. You're not clicking your dots, are you?
    Nope, I keybind my dots.

So you're saying I should click on the health bars manually and dot them all up?

---------- Post added 2013-06-25 at 12:49 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Zargul View Post
    Does that mouseover macro work if I just have the mob targeted without mousing over? (damn error message)

Quote Originally Posted by Vetani View Post
    Nope, I keybind my dots.

So you're saying I should click on the health bars manually and dot them all up?

---------- Post added 2013-06-25 at 12:49 PM ----------

Does that mouseover macro work if I just have the mob targeted without mousing over? (damn error message)
    /cast [@mouseover, harm, nodead] [] spell;spell

You can cut out the harm and nodead modifiers if you want. It will cast at a hostile mouseover target if you have one. If you don't, it will cast at your target
    Last edited by Drikkink; 2013-06-25 at 05:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vetani
    Quote Originally Posted by Drikkink View Post
    /cast [@mouseover, harm, nodead] [] spell;spell
    Yes, it works if you have the mob targeted without mouse over. That's what the second set of "[]" does.

Code:
    /cast [@mouseover] [] spell
    is basically the same as:

Code:
    /cast [@mouseover] spell; spell

They both cause the macro to cast at your target if there is no mouseover.

Code:
    /cast [@mouseover] [] spell; spell
    This is redundant.

Quote Originally Posted by Vetani View Post
    That's how I do it. Or mouseover macros. Never tab target, unless you sacrifice first born every night to the RNG gods you'll never get the right target when you need to (in the magical 4 second UVLS window).

Deleted
    A related question:
    Nameplates seem to disappear for me around 30 yards. This is highly annoying if I want to stay at max range of 40 yards.
    Is there a way to increase nameplate visibility range?

Quote Originally Posted by Kilmir View Post
    A related question:
    Nameplates seem to disappear for me around 30 yards. This is highly annoying if I want to stay at max range of 40 yards.
    Is there a way to increase nameplate visibility range?
    ^^ 10 char

Deleted
    I'm quite sure you can not increase nameplate range. Most multidot fights this tier, you can make use of the boss frames though.

Deleted
    I keybind my dots and apply them directly on the boss frames through clique.

I could try that mouseover macro, not sure if it will be my cup of tea.