Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttfear View Post
    My server is dead and my very large friends list is quiet
    A taste of what is coming for the World of pandas and wowkemon.

[This post was infracted for trolling.]
    Last edited by Rivellana; 2013-06-26 at 02:02 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ypo View Post
    Warcraft III and its offshoots LoL and DOTA are 10 years old yet they are far more popular than WoW itself.

The game isn't losing subs because it's old, it's losing subs because the Dev Team is failing.

Edit-@Endemonadia: Soon.
    There is no way you're going to tell me Warcraft III and DotA1 still have 10 mil+ active players. Even in its prime (2005ish), War3 had maybe 500k players online at once. Also LoL was released in 2009 and is f2p. Apples and Oranges.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by spinalc0rd View Post
    Thing is you need to realize that WoW is almost 10 years old. Its incredible that it has even retained 8 mil subs. When it comes to gaming Age is also a factor people move onto other things and newer games for new gameplay experiences and for Some Newer graphics.

I don't think Everquest 2 is retaining the same amount of subs as 8 years ago, no game has climbed up in subs year after year after year. This just doesnt really happen. For example im sure Ultima Online and Star Wars Galaxies have no where near the subs they had during their early years of release.

I been playing since vanilla and ive taken breaks in each xpac when im burnt out but return when i feel the need to. I play other games like recently completed Bioshock Infinite an now im onto the Last of Us. Im still playing WoW at the same time.

But Im looking forward ot the next expansion, admittedly im addicted to fresh expansions and levelling up again on my beloved chars.

Moral of the story is (TLR) No game is expected to continue to grow after 8 years since release its just ridiculous to have that as an expectation.
    More people need to realize this.

To expect WoW to continue to gain subs at a constant rate would be ridiculous, the game would probably have around 30 million (ballpark) subs right now if that were the case.

It's the same with stabilization, the game isn't going to have 10 mil+ subs all the time. People quit and join for 100,000 different reasons, and it's absolutely ABSURD to say that one or several features are 100% the cause for sub loss/gain.
    PEPE SILVA, PEPE SILVA

Quote Originally Posted by Endemonadia View Post
    U really think its doing better than other MMORPGs?

GW2 is still growing and all of their realms r busy.

Right now Wow is losing players at the fastest rate than any other MMORPG... thats also a fact.
    Really? You compare an 8/9 year old game to a game that has been out what... 1 year? Did you forget Vanilla began with 3 to 6 million and then got to about 8 to 9 towards TBC and then climbed towards 12 in WOTLK, while Cata had 13 million players (at the start).

So ehm... the growth started to dwindle after the game was.... 6/7 years old? And you compare current WoW to GW2? Nice analogy.

Oh yeah... meanwhile GW1 was failing massively. Hence GW2 came along. Which I hear is not really a better game.
    Last edited by Vaelorian; 2013-06-25 at 02:15 PM.

Deleted
    Perhaps people get simply older. Their needs shift completely. Family and w0rk are more important than a few years ago for them.

And the next generation is simply different... want more, want faster, want now... gimme more.

The old generation grew up, the new one is no generation able to motivate itsself for a longer period.

10+ Year Old Account
    After playing games for so many years now i expect perfection from every game i play. Its 2013 and over the next 10 years i expect every game to be perfect at what they are trying to achieve with that game. Wow has been out for 10 years now and i expect perfection from it because they have worked on it for so long there is no excuse for a 99% or below effort. They have the money and resources to give 120% of my expectation.
    Aye mate

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ypo View Post
    Warcraft III and its offshoots LoL and DOTA are 10 years old yet they are far more popular than WoW itself.

The game isn't losing subs because it's old, it's losing subs because the Dev Team is failing.

Edit-@Endemonadia: Soon.
    I have never read a post full of total utter BS in my entire time on MMO-C and that is saying something.

Ok, I have to disagree a little. I am very bored playing WoW. But it is the lesser of the evils. I play to raid. That is by far the thing I enjoy most about MMOs. And while I think the quality of the over all raiding in WoW (and let me be clear, that stems from both the design side as well as the players that are raiding) has gone way down as of late (last 2 xpacs, though MoP is worse then cata) it is still the best MMO I have found as far as raiding is concerned. I think a lot of people miss that perspective. WoW (IMHO) was leaps and bounds better then any other MMO when it came to raiding. Nothing else could hold a candle. Okay so they have dumbed it down a bit it is not at the level it once was, neither are the players honestly (some are, but you don't have the same massive amount of great players to pick from anymore). So now they are only leaps.... no longer bounds ahead of the other MMOs. I have tried a bunch, none can keep me interested in raiding. So I mudle through the content we have, and hope Blizzard finds a way to bring it back, or that a new MMO will get it right.

I have tried SWToR, Tera, Rift, Aion, GW2, FF11 and 14, and Neverwinter. If anyone knows any others that have decent raiding I would love to give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Ifeanychukwu View Post
    I totally agree. I wish there were dynamic events or something like that in the open world sort of like Rift has. Something that's not instances or raids but has enough benefits to doing them that people will get out of cities to do them while at the same time not feeling like its something mandatory for people to do. I know that's almost impossible though, since for some reason the majority of the playerbase seems to think all content is mandatory content.
    It's a hard thing to try and think of, but I really don't think it's something we'll see in WoW (so I hope for with every new game that comes around). Till then I'll probably take up EvE and try to get a feel for the nullsec regions of space.

edit:

While WoW's raiding has always been well done, I feel that it's sadly been the only thing about WoW recently. in terms of PvE, WoW has once again got me feeling like it's "Raid or Die" like in vanilla (this time 'die' meaning unsubscribe however). Raiding is nice, not $15 a month nice, though.
    Last edited by mickybrighteyes; 2013-06-25 at 02:25 PM.

Wow is definately in a bad place right now. Most of the servers I play on have died. Only a few servers are alive in EU. And the changes that Blizzard made the last couple of years made the game a big clusterfuck imo. It used to be simple and fun.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaelorian View Post
    Really? You compare an 8/9 year old game to a game that has been out what... 1 year? Did you forget Vanilla began with 3 to 6 million and then got to about 8 to 9 towards TBC and then climbed towards 12 in WOTLK, while Cata had 13 million players (at the start).

So ehm... the growth started to dwindle after the game was.... 6/7 years old? And you compare current WoW to GW2? Nice analogy.

Oh yeah... meanwhile GW1 was failing massively. Hence GW2 came along. Which I hear is not really a better game.
    U missed my point *sigh*

Gimlix said "But WoW is still doing better then any MMORPG out there."

This statement is 100% false. So i gave one example of another MMORPG which is doing better than Wow.

Sure Wow still has more overall subs but Wow is declining and GW2 is growing... therefore Gimlix statement is 100% untrue.

U missed my point *sigh*

This statement is 100% false. So i gave one example of another MMORPG which is doing better than Wow.

Sure Wow still has more overall subs but Wow is declining and GW2 is growing... therefore Gimlix statement is 100% untrue.
    GW2 is growing because it's new though. Not because it's "doing better" than WoW. SWTOR was growing for a while too, while WoW subs were on a decline. Does that mean it was "doing better" than WoW? Nope.

Time will tell if GW2 has the staying power to really do better than WoW. I hope they do (always good to see real competition), but I have no idea if they will.

10+ Year Old Account
    If this is your only measurement then Wow is in a group of just one game... thats itself.

Gimlix used the term MMORPG and GW2 is very much in that category.
    WoW is 8 years older then GW2, Just wait after 8 years, GW2 will be as dead as it can be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post

U missed my point *sigh*

You can't really say it is 100% untrue. It really depends on what you use to measure what MMO is doing better. If you use overall subs, WoW is doing better, if you use overall income, WoW is doing better. However if you use direction sub quantity is headed then sure, they are not doing so hot. But it is the end of an xpac. of course it is heading down. New Xpac comes out it will start going up again... probably not to the level of 12 million. But GW2 in 8 years wont be at 8 million active subs either. You are wearing blinders to your opinion only, and telling other people they are 100% wrong when truthfully, they are not.

Quote Originally Posted by mickybrighteyes View Post
    Not so much multiple tiers of content.. but really like some way to have the open world matter. When the entire game is off inside the dungeons/raids/instanced pvp areas it's not really feeling like much of a "World of" anything.

EDIT: granted I do some what miss going through series of progressive 'attunement' stuff, or whatever but that's mostly rose tinted goggles.

the main thing that always gets under my skin is sitting in a place like the goblin city in Azshara or the now flooded salt flats in thousand needles and knowing it's just going to be 'useful' to a character for about 40 minutes (assuming they don't over shoot it in dungeons)

just a bunch of wonkiness all around with the open world IMO.
    Granted that Kalimdor and Eastern Kingdoms are pretty much deserted nowadays...

Blizzard made a big effort to make the open world matter in Pandaria. And in the latest patch, the Barrens as well. There is so much to do it is ludicrous.

It would really be great to have a reason to go back to the old zones as well... But the question is, does any MMO remain with old zones relevant after the coming of new content? And I am really asking, I don't know if there is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Quilzar View Post
    I have never read a post full of total utter BS in my entire time on MMO-C and that is saying something.
    1. LoL is not 10 years old.
    2. WC3 is a great game, but log in right now, Max players a few thousand total a day.

WoW is still bigger in popularity then most games that are out today.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by yjmark View Post
    GW2 is growing because it's new though. Not because it's "doing better" than WoW. SWTOR was growing for a while too, while WoW subs were on a decline. Does that mean it was "doing better" than WoW? Nope.

Time will tell if GW2 has the staying power to really do better than WoW. I hope they do (always good to see real competition), but I have no idea if they will.
    Well in a sense he was correct, for one to be growing and the other to be declining, the growing one was doing better.

Deleted
    U missed my point *sigh*

./sigh idd

Really.

So ok...

There is a 8 year old TV show on Paid Cable TV that had 20 million viewers when it peaked people get bored with it and it now has 16 million viewers.

There is a brand new TV show that is on Free Network TV when it launched it had 2 million viewers went down to 1.5 million views and now has 3 million viewers.

And in your opinion the network TV show with 3 million viewers is doing better?

The amount of bullshit in this thread is immense.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Quilzar View Post
    ./sigh idd

Really.

So ok...

There is a 8 year old TV show on Paid Cable TV that has 20 million viewers it peaked people get bored with it and it now has 16 million viewers.

There is a brand new TV show that is on Free Network TV when it launched it had 2 million viewers went down to 1.5 million views and now has 3 million viewers.

And in your opinion the network TV show with 3 million viewers is doing better?

The amount of bullshit in this thread is immense.
    Also, if GW2 has something new like a expansion, don't expect that much attention.
    If WoW has a new expansion, There will be loads of people who return just to check it out.

Even though MoP had a really thick hate base at launch, we still got 1,000,000 new subs.

WOW needs to battle F2P games and games you buy without a subscription these days.

It is actually the end of the subscription battle already ... because the others WENT FREE TO PLAY to still gather players around...

As I said in another (closed hihi) thread in GW2 ... (mods over there are really XXX), you can't compare players from one game that costs ZERO dollars to play with a subscription based game that costs 180 dollars yearly (in the west) to play.

So WOW is doing rather nice.

BUT BUT.... the gaming industry is NOT doing great and the MMORPG part is doing LOUSY even.

By going free to play you DEPRIVE the developpers from MUCH needed money to make these FULL 3D worlds.

And that will kill everything in the immediate future.

---

Doubts ? Why do you think the next MMORPG from Blizzard got postponed ? in favor of easy to make games like a CCG Hearthstone ?

Yep: the MMORPG's of the past are gone.

Luckily WOW will survive albeit with less players in the future.

As to F2P and B2P MMO's I doubt they even have a long term future ... (no revenue, no long term support principle)....