Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1

    Worth it to drop 600 skinning/480 crit for 600 enchanting/320 agi?

    My main is a Rogue and is 600 skinning/lw. I was wondering, if I go 600 enchanting I can get the 160 agi on each rings. I'm sure that would be much more beneficial for my Rogue rather than the crit bonus from skinning, but I was wondering is it beneficial enough to raise 600 enchanting? More than likely I'll raise another toon to 600 skinning thus probably going 600 or so LW again so I can make items to DE for my Rogue and will help with getting some mats for the enchanting, but is it really worth it to go through all that trouble basically trading 480 crit for 320 agility?

  2. #2
    Generally, you should have a crafting profession that boosts your main stat, rather than a gathering profession which boosts your secondary stats only. But unless you really need that little extra edge or really need to be able to craft the things more cheaply, it's not worth dropping a 600 gathering profession.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarazet View Post
    Generally, you should have a crafting profession that boosts your main stat, rather than a gathering profession which boosts your secondary stats only. But unless you really need that little extra edge or really need to be able to craft the things more cheaply, it's not worth dropping a 600 gathering profession.
    Cool I didn't know that, makes sense and I see it now though.

    Well I have a DK who is almost 600 enchanting and have some spare mats. If I were to level skinning again on another toon I'd most likely level lw again to get some extra mats in there. It's really a lot of work altogether, and I was wondering how much more beneficial is it and worth it in the long run to do so.

  4. #4
    If you have the money just go Blacksmithing (2 extra sockets for best options) +Engineering (On-use primary stat glove tinker that lines up well with certain cooldowns, along with other things). Otherwise I'd say just farm the mats you need for Leatherworking since you already have a skinner unless your DK alt is just swimming in enchanting mats.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Trubo View Post
    If you have the money just go Blacksmithing (2 extra sockets for best options) +Engineering (On-use primary stat glove tinker that lines up well with certain cooldowns, along with other things). Otherwise I'd say just farm the mats you need for Leatherworking since you already have a skinner unless your DK alt is just swimming in enchanting mats.
    Low level mats yes, I could probably get him up to 300 no problem right now. I'm probably not rich enough to blow money on blacksmithing.

    On an off topic subject, what is gold basically for these days? Gemming? I'm not saying I have an abundance of gold, but I do have nothing to do with it and just pile up and have no concern about it like I used to in previous expansions. I've thought about buying one of those jeweled panthers but for 20k that seems like a waste.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Remery View Post
    My main is a Rogue and is 600 skinning/lw. I was wondering, if I go 600 enchanting I can get the 160 agi on each rings. I'm sure that would be much more beneficial for my Rogue rather than the crit bonus from skinning, but I was wondering is it beneficial enough to raise 600 enchanting? More than likely I'll raise another toon to 600 skinning thus probably going 600 or so LW again so I can make items to DE for my Rogue and will help with getting some mats for the enchanting, but is it really worth it to go through all that trouble basically trading 480 crit for 320 agility?
    The DPS increase is so low that unless you are planning on playing with a guild that goes for world firsts or server firsts, I wouldn't bother.
    On an off topic subject, what is gold basically for these days? Gemming? I'm not saying I have an abundance of gold, but I do have nothing to do with it and just pile up and have no concern about it like I used to in previous expansions. I've thought about buying one of those jeweled panthers but for 20k that seems like a waste.
    When you have enough gold to buy gems and enchants, it becomes expendable and you can do whatever you please with it. Get some mounts if that is your deal or maybe save it for a rainy day. Whatever floats your boat basically. If you play any decent amount gold should be abundant.

  7. #7
    Whether it is worth switching is up to you. All we can say is that ench gives a better bonus.

  8. #8
    Dreadlord Vanthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Ol US of A
    Posts
    828
    "The DPS increase is so low that unless you are planning on playing with a guild that goes for world firsts or server firsts, I wouldn't bother." -Noorri

    So you are saying you do not want to min/max your PERSONAL dps because your guild is not pushing for world firsts? That is just retarded. You should be doing everything in your power to help your raid group be able to kill bosses regardless of difficulty. Going from 480 Crit (Worst stat for a Rogue) to 320 Agility is quite a boost. Every time I main swap (Only done it twice), I drop the gathering professions if the toon I am moving to has them and pick up up a main stat increase just because I want to be pushing my absolute best regardless of what my guild is doing. But hey, personal preference I guess.

    To the OP: Skinning is reaaaally easy to level, so dropping it and picking it up on a toon that doesn't have professions is the best route to go. After you have done that, you can use your DK to farm old world raids/dungeons for gear to DE and then just send the mats to your Rogue to level his enchanting.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Noorri View Post
    The DPS increase is so low that unless you are planning on playing with a guild that goes for world firsts or server firsts, I wouldn't bother.
    I would argue that the DPS increase from reading and viewing guides and training on dummies/raidfinder is higher than if you would take your days of levelling Alchemy for that DPS increase.
    So my recommendation would be doing what is mroe fun for you: Do you like getting extra Income from beasts or do you prefer it more to just do your daily transmute and maybe a little bit ofr Potions&Flasks posting.
    Last edited by Fincher; 2013-06-26 at 07:53 AM.

  10. #10
    Think of the amount of gold that will just vanish from doing that.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanthem View Post
    So you are saying you do not want to min/max your PERSONAL dps because your guild is not pushing for world firsts? That is just retarded. You should be doing everything in your power to help your raid group be able to kill bosses regardless of difficulty. Going from 480 Crit (Worst stat for a Rogue) to 320 Agility is quite a boost. Every time I main swap (Only done it twice), I drop the gathering professions if the toon I am moving to has them and pick up up a main stat increase just because I want to be pushing my absolute best regardless of what my guild is doing. But hey, personal preference I guess.

    To the OP: Skinning is reaaaally easy to level, so dropping it and picking it up on a toon that doesn't have professions is the best route to go. After you have done that, you can use your DK to farm old world raids/dungeons for gear to DE and then just send the mats to your Rogue to level his enchanting.
    Unless you are in a world first or server first pushing guild, the DPS difference between 480 crit and 320 agility means next to nothing. I go with Blacksmithing/Jewelcrafting because I want to optimize, but I wouldn't expect anyone in a normal mode raiding guild or a slow progressing heroic guild to bother with perfecting professions. There are so many much more important factors to consider. If you are at the point where the only thing you can do to improve yourself is changing to a different profession, you are pushing the limits of what is possible which is only neccesary in world first/server first races.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Noorri View Post
    Unless you are in a world first or server first pushing guild, the DPS difference between 480 crit and 320 agility means next to nothing. I go with Blacksmithing/Jewelcrafting because I want to optimize, but I wouldn't expect anyone in a normal mode raiding guild or a slow progressing heroic guild to bother with perfecting professions. There are so many much more important factors to consider. If you are at the point where the only thing you can do to improve yourself is changing to a different profession, you are pushing the limits of what is possible which is only neccesary in world first/server first races.
    Personally, I was a 600 LW/Skinner. It was a good match because Guardian Druids stack Critical Strike rating and it pairs with LW. I switched to Engineering for these reasons: 1) Jeeves, for convenience of our raid group, 2) Synapse Springs to use for tank swaps and to pair with cooldowns, 3) I wasn't really skinning anything any longer.

    I'll keep it as it is for the next xpac, too, since Engineering typically gives you an epic helm that is as good or better than the first tier of raiding epics, and LW provides the biggest possible boost to either Agi (+320 compared to Greater Agility) or Stam (+600 compared to Sha Armor Kit) depending on my needs. Just requires having gathering alts, and I easily have enough alts to take care of that.

  13. #13
    Pit Lord
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    2,489
    i'd rather go with inscription if you only want the bonus, same bonus but with enchanting you have to waste mats to enchant the rings while with inscription you save money because BoP shoulder enchants use 3 common ink instead of 3 uncommon or JC (same story, 2 serpent's eye instead of 2 gems)

    on the long-term you'll save a ton of money (and make if you know how to move with those 2 profs) if you're an active raider (and skinning suck balls in terms of gold-making)
    CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K @ 4.8GHz
    Motherboard: Asus P8Z68 Deluxe
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws-X 2x4GB 1600Mhz
    VGA: XFX Radeon HD 6990
    Drive: 1 x OCZ Vertex 3 240Gb + 1 x WD Caviar Black 1TB
    PSU: Corsair AX850W Case: Cooler Master HAF X CPU Heatsink: Noctua NH-D14

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Destard View Post
    i'd rather go with inscription if you only want the bonus, same bonus but with enchanting you have to waste mats to enchant the rings while with inscription you save money because BoP shoulder enchants use 3 common ink instead of 3 uncommon or JC (same story, 2 serpent's eye instead of 2 gems)

    on the long-term you'll save a ton of money (and make if you know how to move with those 2 profs) if you're an active raider (and skinning suck balls in terms of gold-making)
    The ring enchants require 2 spirit dust each...That doesn't exactly break the bank.

    As someone with Inscription on their main, though, I agree with your point about the nice convenience of the BoP shoulder enchants.

  15. #15
    Nah just learn to play better if you want to increase dps.

  16. #16
    I would definitely recommend dropping skinning for a better profession. But I'd recommend switching to engineering instead of enchanting. With engineering, you have synapse springs that you can add to your gloves to give you 1920 agi for 10 seconds every minute which you can easily stack with other cooldowns. You also get other cool utilities like the nitro boost and goblin glider tinkers.
    Tishelle (Rogue) - Tisha (Mage) - Tishandra (DK) - Tisharia (Priest) - Tishanna (Warlock) - Tishie (Monk) - Tishette (Boosted Warrior )

  17. #17
    Pit Lord
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    2,489
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazgrel View Post
    The ring enchants require 2 spirit dust each...That doesn't exactly break the bank.

    As someone with Inscription on their main, though, I agree with your point about the nice convenience of the BoP shoulder enchants.
    if you replace enchanting with inscription, your shoulder enchant will BOTH cost less and add the stats bonus, same with JC gems, LW bracers enchant + leg armor, Tailoring Leg Armor and cloak enchant

    having both LW and Inscription/JC is a HUGE money saver, especially on early expansion
    CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K @ 4.8GHz
    Motherboard: Asus P8Z68 Deluxe
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws-X 2x4GB 1600Mhz
    VGA: XFX Radeon HD 6990
    Drive: 1 x OCZ Vertex 3 240Gb + 1 x WD Caviar Black 1TB
    PSU: Corsair AX850W Case: Cooler Master HAF X CPU Heatsink: Noctua NH-D14

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Tisha View Post
    I would definitely recommend dropping skinning for a better profession. But I'd recommend switching to engineering instead of enchanting. With engineering, you have synapse springs that you can add to your gloves to give you 1920 agi for 10 seconds every minute which you can easily stack with other cooldowns. You also get other cool utilities like the nitro boost and goblin glider tinkers.
    Also, you get an amazing epic headpiece early in the expansion and then get to be ignored for the rest of the xpac!

  19. #19
    Unless you are in a world first or server first pushing guild, the DPS difference between 480 crit and 320 agility means next to nothing. I go with Blacksmithing/Jewelcrafting because I want to optimize, but I wouldn't expect anyone in a normal mode raiding guild or a slow progressing heroic guild to bother with perfecting professions. There are so many much more important factors to consider. If you are at the point where the only thing you can do to improve yourself is changing to a different profession, you are pushing the limits of what is possible which is only neccesary in world first/server first races.
    Uh, I raid lead my guild which would probably fall under your criteria of normal mode/slow heroic profession and I absolutely expect my raiders to perfect their professions. Whether it's a noticeable upgrade or not is immaterial, because the point is not really the actual dps upgrade, rather the commitment to excelling at their role.

    Just because there are more important factors doesn't belittle this. It's very easy for someone to grasp all of these "important" factors and there's no legitimate reason for not doing it besides being lazy. Especially if it's a new recruit, it's the little things you need to look for and understand why they did that to help determine if they're a good candidate. With that being said, I'm not about to remove someone from a raid just they may have skinning instead of BS or JC, but it's my job as raid leader to try to make the raid as good as possible. I try to strongly advise my raiders to better their characters in any way possible, but I'm not forcing it down their throats because we're not a world first guild.

    It also opens a slippery slope though. Why get professions, it's only like 300 stat. Why bother enchanting my gloves, it's a useless enchant anyway. By themselves none of them amount to any significant change, however when combined it's a noticeable difference.

  20. #20
    As long as you have 2 maxxed out professions and are taking advantage of their bonuses the only other consideration is usefulness to you.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •