Playing Arena's with HIGH ping a problem?

Hey guys.

Im currently playing arena's with my friend, we are both fully geared (496iLevel) and a good comp (Disc - UH DK). however we just cant seem to progress much further than 1700

before everyone says this is a L2P issue, please just answer this. is playing arena's at around 300-350ms affecting us? I live in South Korea and play at around 300ms (on a good day). I have read before that anything above 200ms makes the game impossible to play. however i have been playing like this for over a year now.

thanks alot

10+ Year Old Account
    Playing any online game with high ping at a competitive level is bad. I would never bother playing this game is my ping was above 80ms.

10+ Year Old Account
    Playing with a high ping is a very, VERY bad thing, as it reduces your reaction time. You might see a cast you want to interrupt, but due to 300ms you will land the interrupt 150ms too late, which fx wouldn't happen at 40ms.

PvP is about skill, which about knowledge and reaction time. High MS reduces reaction time. High MS = Bad

10+ Year Old Account
    Anything above 200 is doable but still mildly annoying. Over 300 is pushing it but still somewhat doable if you're good. Any higher is nearly unplayable unless you're facing a bunch of garbage opponents.

Yeh it does suck. You're pretty much pigeon holed into playing a caster because playing a melee is a nightmare with 200+ ms, especially classes with position requirements (rogue, WW monks, feral).

You can try looking into reducing ping through proxy software, there are a couple with free trials (one i've found can be exploited ;D), but at the end of the day it is the distance from your location to the server that is the main cause of your lag as Blizzards servers are actually really fast and hardly add much ping.

You can easily reach high ratings, keep practicing and overcome obstacles, you may have to play harder and learn tricks to deal with high ping but it's definitely doable. There are many high rank PvPers from the Oceanic areas, one on a melee class (DK - mes).

i played as melee with high ping, 200-600+ms for a while
    200 in the very early hours when no one is on, or 400-600+ during peak hour, varies a lot, but i can tell you it is not pretty

interrupting is a pain, so many times i see a cast at 1/2 cast or even 1/4 cast time done and when u go and interrupt, it still goes though and you waste a 15s cd, especially when you know they are gonna cast that particular spell

not to mention "you must be in melee range to use that ability" when you are literally almost overtaking close distance

although it is harder to play it still not impossible
    but youll be having better/easier time player a range caster if you want to dps

awesome. thanks for the great replies guys. was expecting L2P spam... haha. i tried a rogue, but thats just imposible for me, because of the "you must be in melee range to use that ability" spam that I get when im literally running THROUGH the guy. so im playing Priest and Hunter now. gotta keep at it i guess. I tried a proxy server, but it had 0 effect on my ping

Anything above 200-250 MS as a melee sucks, especially on my warrior when I'm on top of the guy spamming hamstring and nothings happening.. Or when I pummel when the spell is alittle past halfway cast and still misses.

I highly, HIGHLY recommend this. Should bring you down about 50-75 MS.

http://www.wowinterface.com/download...atencyFix.html

Quote Originally Posted by Chingylol View Post
    Anything above 200-250 MS as a melee sucks, especially on my warrior when I'm on top of the guy spamming hamstring and nothings happening.
    best one is when a warrior is lagging, i thunderstorm them away and they start bladestorming in mid air and then 20 yards away and their cooldown is completely wasted, if their MS wasn't so high they wouldn't of popped it and just charged me then used it.

Mes does it from Australia on a Death Knight and I wouldn't exactly say he does too poorly.

Great. il try at Leatrix. thanks Chingylol

Quote Originally Posted by Nopkplease View Post
    Mes does it from Australia on a Death Knight and I wouldn't exactly say he does too poorly.
    Well I don't know who that is and maybe he's great, but the fact is playing on Aus ping is horrible :P

And that's only ~200ms.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    I play at 180-200ms myself (Australian) and I will agree with the others here that say that melee sucks a lot at that point.

At an old home I was often sitting between 300-500 and melee PVP was almost impossible assuming that my opponent actually knew how to play the game.

As much as it is cheesy, I always felt that hunters were pretty great for PVPing with high latency, apart from trap launching.

Quote Originally Posted by Radio View Post
    I play at 180-200ms myself (Australian) and I will agree with the others here that say that melee sucks a lot at that point.

At an old home I was often sitting between 300-500 and melee PVP was almost impossible assuming that my opponent actually knew how to play the game.

As much as it is cheesy, I always felt that hunters were pretty great for PVPing with high latency, apart from trap launching.
    this is exactly my thoughts too. i play hunter and Priest. hunter being definit a bit easier thanks to range and instant cast everything i have given up on my rogue and feral. and now just doing priest and hunter. but its just so frustrating playing when i KNOW im playing with a clear disadvantage to myself

you guys making me feel better though knowing im not alone, or that atleast i should just keep going. its gona take more effort but it is possible i guess!

Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    best one is when a warrior is lagging, i thunderstorm them away and they start bladestorming in mid air and then 20 yards away and their cooldown is completely wasted, if their MS wasn't so high they wouldn't of popped it and just charged me then used it.
    Or the reverse. Having a warrior bladestorming you from what seems like 15 yards away and your kiting it like hey im safe, but instead hes still smashing your face in. Old WOTLK when my latency was around 300, those days sucked. Even at like 20 now I get annoyed by lag now and again (like lifeswapping and I get dropped to 20% and my target still dies).

Playing from Australia i get about 190 - 250ms, I struggled to break 1800 on my rogue just in 2's, when I re-rolled hunter, I hit 1900 in 3's within the first couple of weeks of the season, stopped and now gearing up a lock......not sure if that's saying anything but ye (inb4 rogue higher skill cap blah blah blah)

The "you need to be closer to your target" thing was a big deal for me, playing ranged classes i find the worst offenders for noticing lag are, interrupts (mildly) and line of site, like i've been hit with a spell when on my screen I was clearly LOSing it.

high ping is very bad. specially if u are a melee.
    stick to a ranged class to cut down the bad experience to some extent.

Deleted
    Sometimes it's equally annoying for the opponents. Try catching someone who sorta "teleports" all over the place due to lag.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not only is high ping annoying for you, but it's extremely annoying for your opponent aswell.

high ping lol Australia says hi.

I've never seen below 200ms, im on usually 300 average. You get used to it. Its very hard been melee, esp when you need to interrupt spell casts, your window to do it in is very very small.

Skills = Take an good aussie pvp gamer and put them on a super fast internet connection with < 20ms. Boom...