Poll: Would you allow your employer to track your app and internet usage on your phone?

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Would you allow your Employer to monitor your data connection?

The other day a friend of mine was talking to me about a tech startup based out of California that is designing an app for employers that, once installed, monitors all user-app interaction as well as an employee's personal data connection. This means that the employer will be able to see what apps you use, what internet sites you visit on your 3G or 4G plan, and things like your text messages, recent calls, camera, notes, etc. The app can also be configured to blcok access to certain apps on your phone during business hours as well.

Naturally, I was appalled when I heard about this. My employer having any access to pictrues, phone calls, text messages, internet connection, etc. is an absoltue FUCK NO. I understand if they block sites on my office for security/productivity purposes, but blocking MY apps on MY data plan that I pay for? Hell no. I don't want my employer knowing that I have IBS when I text my wife to purchase a remedy for me. I don't want my employer blockign access to my phone when I'm on my lunchbreak. I also don't want the owners of the app to have any of that data stored, which I know they will.

However, when I asked my sister about this, she really didn't seem to care. I asked her fi she would ever work for a company that required their employees to download this app and she said "well yeah if I wanted the job. It's not a big deal."

Does privacy between eployees and employers have no value anymore? Am I living in the past? Would you work for someone who required this app upon employment?

10+ Year Old Account
    Why would anyone WANT their employer to see any of that?

OP's sister sounds like what's wrong with this world...

And not just NO to the question, but HELL NO.

Now if they're paying for the phone, and it's a business phone, sure. I'd have my own personal phone as well (this isn't terribly uncommon in the business world)

As I see it, if it's the employers property they have every right to monitor what's going on with it, if you don't want them to know something that's private don't use the equipment for private things be it phone, pc or other.

If it were a privately owned item and they wanted to put the software on it then I'd have a problem, if it's not using their money to run or purchase the item they have no right in trying to control it.

That's the thing. The app is meant to be installed on your PERSONAL phone. That's why I have such a problem with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    No way on earth this is legal so no, I wouldn't download the app if they have issue with cell phones at work they can impose a no phones on work property rule, but they can not monitor your personal phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Zooch View Post
    Does privacy between eployees and employers have no value anymore? Am I living in the past? Would you work for someone who required this app upon employment?
    Depends. Is the program installed on your personal phone? Or is it on a company phone?

Company phone I can understand and see why they would do it as it is their equipment and they want to know exactly what they are paying for especially if the phone is for strictly business use.

If it's personal phone, then no. There is absolutely zero reason for them to know what I'm doing on my phone.

Fuck no I wouldn't.

10+ Year Old Account
    If I own that phone...hell no. I'm willing to respect that they don't want me wasting a bunch of work time on my phone or whatever if they can respect that I am their employee, not their property.

10+ Year Old Account
    No I don't feel comfortable with my employer looking at my conversation's. Also that Employer might not like a person in the office and might manipulate the application against him.

EX: employer looks threw Jenny Doe's phone. See's that she has a embarrassing like a Rash and that Employer could think " man this girl has denied me a relationship so I think I might go ahead and embarrass her.

So from that example it seems like its crossing the line cause I mean if this app does get popular and with all the NSA things it seems like the hole world is plotting against us.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hell no. My private phone is my private phone. If my employer wants to provide me with a company phone with said app, where they expect me to only be doing company business, okay, sure. It's their property and their right to monitor their business. But they have no right to monitor my personal affairs.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

It's their phone. Frankly, they can do whatever they want with it. If you don't like it, use a personal phone for your personal stuff not a work phone.

A company phone is a company phone and they have every right to know every bit of data sent and received. But definitely not on a personal phone.

15+ Year Old Account
    This kind of monitoring (though not to the exact same extent) is already available for company phones. This seems designed for private phones, similar to putting a cell dampener in the office so employees can't 'waste time'.

I think it's pretty shitty if that is the case. If you have someone who is on their phone all day to the point where it is affecting their work, you can discipline/terminate them without having to spy on their damn phone. If someone is only occasionally using their phone (telling a friend "sure I'll meet you after work" or checking on their kids, whatever) and it's not affecting their performance, then it is none of their business what they are doing with it.

If you are going through their router chances are they already can monitor your activity on the net. I guess it depends on how you are connecting to the internet. If we are talking about using a phone/device they provide you with you don't really have a choice. If you are using your own device, with your own connectivity then they can't really make you install an app or monitor your activity without your permission.

if it is your personal phone, they have no business invading your privacy like that. If it is a work phone, that is an entirely different story.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jbombard View Post
    then they can't really make you install an app or monitor your activity without your permission.
    They can (try) to make it a condition of employment. No, they ultimately can't do it without your permission, but how much of the inherently unequal relationship should they be allowed to use to try to get your permission?

Quote Originally Posted by Tribunal View Post
    They can (try) to make it a condition of employment. No, they ultimately can't do it without your permission, but how much of the inherently unequal relationship should they be allowed to use to try to get your permission?
    Just like anything else both the employee and employer have conditions of employment, if you don't like their conditions don't work there if they don't like yours they won't hire you. Note that if they try and change their conditions mid-stream it is a different issue and one you can probably do something about.

I could see it being installed on a company provided phone sure. On my personal phone... uh... hell no.

Well I wouldn't be happy with it, but if it was a necessary facet of my job for my employer to want to see where their data is used... Fine I guess. However, its technically in the employers best interests to allow their employees certain and many autonomies when doing their job. Studies have shown that when someone is given less autonomy no matter the increase in benefits or opportunities in money, they perform worse, and work less as opposed to someone who is given autonomy and is able to do whatever they want whenever they want in work. I'm pretty sure (without using sources because I am really lazy right now) that Google allows their employees a certain like 'free time' in their office to do anything BUT work in a certain period of time so that employees feel a sense of autonomy. Yet, they found that a lot of work, ideas, and motivations actually comes from that time. I can eventually find the sources that I am remembering this from if you need it but id have to ask my friend where they were -- I gave him the links quite a while ago.
    I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!